Thread: Big Lake ice and springs?

Default Big Lake ice and springs?

Hi guys, wanted some info on what the ice thickness is on Big Lake right now? Was hoping to go up this weekend or next and fish in spots where there are less peaople perhaps. Also wanted to know what spots to not go as I've heard there are places the ice is soft? Are there warm springs at this lake or why is the ice so thin in certain places? Thanks all!

I actually JUST got a call back from the fire Chief in Biglake. He said on the south side their is 9-12 inches of ice on the lake. Sounded like he drilled over by Southport Marina. He even said that some one was crazy enough to drive out onto the ice already. He didn't see the vehicle but he saw the fresh tracks. Didn't sound like he would advise that though lol.

Check out Flat lake .com it gives good detail on big lake ice . maybe a week or so before we can drive.

Big Lake is well uh pretty big lake. So it does have different conditions in different spots. One of the things to watch out for early is that in the past, they would often clear the roads with something lighter like four wheelers. Then the areas where the snow has been removed, the lake freezes much faster due to the lack of snow insulation. So the ice roads can often have much more ice than off the road. So be aware of that issue. I have driven on the lake, walked off the ice roads, and find the ice to be MUCH thinner.

Anywhere there is flowing water (like in between the lakes) its dangerous. Until you see big vehicles driving, I wouldn't do it. I know too many residents of the area that have dropped a car through. Doesn't happen often, but it happens enough times that it seem no one is immune.

Until the roads are in, access from the North Campground and walking on to the lake or by the South campground or the polaris dealership holds enough fish that will keep you busy until you can get out and safely explore the other areas.

I have a few Big Lake Videos if interested. They are scattered around my youtube channel so rather than list them, might be easier to just go to the channel. While not the most exciting footage, I learned the most from watching the videos of the small salmon which are a primary food source on tape. Things like how they are attracted the most when you disturb the bottom. Not sure if its the sound, the puff of silt or both. But the lesson here is to pound the bottom with your lure often. I do as often a possible without clouding the hole. The Big char will scoop a completely still spoon off the bottom.

http://www.youtube.com/guidesak

I also HIGHLY recommend setting up so you can peer down the hole. Different areas have different water clarity. but you should be able to see 10 to 15 ft down. If you don't have a shelter, take a piece of carpet or something you can lie down on. Then if your head isn't big enough to cover the entire hole, then cover your head and hole with a towel, sweatshirt or something to block the light. You will be AMAZED at what you see most of the times. I jig with the line in my hand. I do lose a few fish transferring a fish hooked while holding the line to playing them on the rod. But seeing the strike is worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I also HIGHLY recommend setting up so you can peer down the hole. Different areas have different water clarity. but you should be able to see 10 to 15 ft down. If you don't have a shelter, take a piece of carpet or something you can lie down on. Then if your head isn't big enough to cover the entire hole, then cover your head and hole with a towel, sweatshirt or something to block the light. You will be AMAZED at what you see most of the times. I jig with the line in my hand. I do lose a few fish transferring a fish hooked while holding the line to playing them on the rod. But seeing the strike is worth it!
    Rudy have you ever had a muskrat come up the hole while doing this? Talk about scaring the **** out of yourself when it happens! I flew completely backwards doing this when a muskrat tried coming up the hole. HAHA.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Rudy have you ever had a muskrat come up the hole while doing this? Talk about scaring the **** out of yourself when it happens! I flew completely backwards doing this when a muskrat tried coming up the hole. HAHA.

Fish On!
    Oh yeah!!! Scares the heebie jeebies outta ya! Man they have some teeth and its what I saw when they came up!!! You wouldn't be a happy camper if they decided to nip you. To quote Monty Python..."If you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth..."

So I should add an disclaimer to my suggestion that "while the author believes the the advice to be overall beneficial to the enjoyment of the activity, some side effects or potential injury may occur. They include but are not limited to: addiction to fishing, frostbite, losing face to aquatic rodents...yaddi yadda. Proceed at your own risk."

Rudy- love all your fishing vids! Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    Rudy- love all your fishing vids! Very interesting.
    Glad you liked them! Ice fishing affords some great opportunities to get some footage. Hopefully I will get out a few times this year. Might be harder given I successfully got out in my Kayak in Homer on Saturday! If I caught even one of the pound 5 kings I catch in Homer while ice fishing, I think I'd be back on that lake EVERYDAY! But its a long drive and not so kid friendly so its time to get out on the hard water as well!! I LOVE sight fishing so ice fishing needs to be a priority for sure!

Thank you all for great replies! I will look around and see what happens. Hopefully this cold weather has made the ice good and safe. But if a muskrat pops up, I am done! Ha!

Anyone seen any traffic or trails plowed on Big Lake yet. Just wondering if I should load up the snow machine to fish it this weekend.

There's roads out there. Not sure how many. The gf tells me she's seeing pickups driving out there. I know they opens the gate at the s. Big lake road boat launch the other day.
    Can't wait to get he and try it!

Hit up Big Lake weekend on the ATVs and fished around the Fish Creek area. Had our tip ups setup for pike but caught just one large burbot around 30in had to throw it back though. Ice was around 14in so maybe this weekend I'll bring the truck out.

I drove on the west end last week, trying to get to saddleback island got within 400 yards just off ice road and only 8 inches of ice . I also encountered 12-14 inches on the east end close to the south campground.