Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOA Laces on Wading Boots?

Default BOA Laces on Wading Boots?

Anybody use these? I just ordered a pair of these boots from Cabela's, Guidewear Boa Wading Boots. My only concern would be if you're out somewhere and they break, you're screwed.

brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

I have had them break, and I have had them not break but cut into the tongue of the wading boot (this is bad) However, when they are working properly, they are absolutely fantastic.

You can order a back up set of laces......

I haven't considered ordering any because of that. It seems to me that them being a pain in the tail if they break in the field isn't offset by their convenience. I like to keep my gear pretty simple in general, though (I don't bet on electronics, either).
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I have some on a pair of korkers, they are great, my only complaint is the weir becomes uneven and one side will become tighter then the other side.

Didn't pull my gravel guards down one time & sand got in. Thought I was going to have to cut my boot off..

Have had a pair of Simms boots with boa laces for a few years. I wear them hard but also take care of them. Absolutely love them. No problems.

Scott

I had a pair of the simms with the boa system. Fished them pretty hard for 2 months and they broke. I ended up sending back my broken simms boots and they replaced them. I opted not to get the same boot or the boa system. Here is my advice for keeping them from breaking. After each use, pull the cable all the way out of the little puck evenly on both sides and rinse rinse rinse. The silty waters of the Su, knik, Kenai, ect, will clog and tear them up. I'll bet the boa system is great if you are only fishing clear streams and in temperatures above freezing.

Get down, get deep, get snagged, fish on!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Gave them a heck of a workout on both Corkers and Simms. Those boots are now on the shelf as loaners for friend unfortunate enough to arrive at our place without their own. Dandy at first, but with use, wear, sand and whatever, they become a real PITA. I wouldn't even thing of buying them unless the boots also had lace holes. Then I could get rid of the stinking BOA once they became troublesome. The lace system gives out long before the boots wear out. Fine for snowboard boots where they evidently appeared. But no thanks on wading boots used anywhere but the ski slopes.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    I had a pair of the simms with the boa system. Fished them pretty hard for 2 months and they broke. I ended up sending back my broken simms boots and they replaced them. I opted not to get the same boot or the boa system. Here is my advice for keeping them from breaking. After each use, pull the cable all the way out of the little puck evenly on both sides and rinse rinse rinse. The silty waters of the Su, knik, Kenai, ect, will clog and tear them up. I'll bet the boa system is great if you are only fishing clear streams and in temperatures above freezing.

Get down, get deep, get snagged, fish on!
    This echo's my experience with Boa laces also. I think the silt that is present in many our streams just wears them out very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Gave them a heck of a workout on both Corkers and Simms. Those boots are now on the shelf as loaners for friend unfortunate enough to arrive at our place without their own. Dandy at first, but with use, wear, sand and whatever, they become a real PITA. I wouldn't even thing of buying them unless the boots also had lace holes. Then I could get rid of the stinking BOA once they became troublesome. The lace system gives out long before the boots wear out. Fine for snowboard boots where they evidently appeared. But no thanks on wading boots used anywhere but the ski slopes.
    I can't disagree more. Check out these loafers after three seasons and probably 100+days of wear each season. I couldn't have been happier with my purchase, now I just need to buy a new pair before the next season.

Fish On!
    Attachment 75322
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

We have 2 pair of BOA Korkers in our house that I got after a friend who is in Korker's guide program recommended them. They work great. Naknek is clear water so you won't have silt issues there. Rinse them off at the end of the day before you put them back on and crank any potential grit into the knob.
    If you are worried about the potential for failure 500 miles from civilization, they should have a repair/replacement kit for sale. I know both Simms and Korkers do. cheap insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    I can't disagree more. Check out these loafers after three seasons and probably 100+days of wear each season.
    Glad they work for you. Carry on, and be happy.

But we fish 12 months a year, half of that outside Alaska. They were trash for our needs and waters, with one pair dying in AK and the other dying in Montana. Guides there call them tourist snares.

My buddy has a pair and hates them for winter fishing.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback. I only wear rubber soles when I'm in Alaska (about 7 days a year) so I thought I would give them a try. The rest of the time I have a pair of felt lace-up boots.

I'll take everybody's advice and wear my gravel guards, and clean them after every use. I'll also bring along an extra wire lace.

Thanks again, and have a Happy Thanksgiving !!
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

I wont ever go back to laces, best purchase of wading boots I ever made was Korker boa.

I do not fish 12 months a year in them, but they have held up great my lasted my 3 open water seasons (So I guess about 12 months (1yr) of total miles on those tires, not really sure how it equates in dog years?)
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I think the point for me is that they work great while they work, and if they keep working for you, you'll remain happy. But if and when the troubles start, the situation can turn really frustrating, especially on the water. If you break a bootlace, that's one thing. But if the BOA goes snaky on you at the wrong time, you're really in a pickle. I've made do with parachute cord or old fly line when boot laces failed, which kept me fishing.

No such fix for BOAs gone bad. Last time we had major problems was when the BOAs absolutely refused to release on one of my wife's boots. Ended up cutting the wire with my Leatherman, simply so she could get the boot off. No BOA fixes at hand, we drove two hours that night to the nearest shop and spent $150 on a pair of Simms lacers for her. Got the BOAs (Korker) fixed later, but she refuses to have them on her feet ever again.

They can break in odd ways, such that laces don't fix them.

For example the post the twister thing goes on.

Only place that seemed to have a real selection of replacement parts was Alyeska for snow board boots. Still didn't have the right one.

And no, glue didn't work.

When my BOA system broke, it was the cable that snapped. I was several miles into a full day fishing trip. Luckily I had my dog along, and I removed her collar and put it around my ankle to provide some support and to keep the boot on my foot. I won't be buying another pair of boots with the BOA system or anything like it. No laces, no dice, for me.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

One way to do an infield repair with the BOA system, when a spare cable and tool are not on hand, use some 15-20lb mono and re lace the boot and tie it normally to get you by for the day.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Never having used the BOA system, I'm not sure why this post has run as far as it has. It seems like the main difference between BOA & laces is the time it takes to tie a knot. WTH???? If we're fishing together & you have boots with BOA & I don't, it would seem to mean that you'd (possibly) get your first cast out before me. If that's the only difference, I'll stick with laces. If there is another difference, please educate me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast