Thread: North Slope Questions

Default North Slope Questions

Looking to fly my father up from Oregon in August 2014 and do the 5 mile hike try to get a few caribou bulls. I went up there the first time this last October and harvested my first two caribou with a bow. But I know hunting that time of year compared to august is very different and the caribou wont be that far south. If anyone would be willing to share some advice I would greatly appreciate it. Im not asking for your hunting spots just fellow hunters sharing advice and stories is all. I included a couple pics of the trip on October.

I guess first question would be, how good of shape is your dad in? I've never done the 5-mile walk and I never will. I'm usually game for just about anything but that's one thing you couldn't talk me into doing. Walking a mile out in that stuff is enough to make most anyone second guess doing 5 miles. A big bull caribou is a heavy load for two people over that crap.

Good on ya for taking the old man hunting.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

And good on you for not shooting rutting Bulls

Thats some fine eating there.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

You might want to check through the Bow Hunting Forum - lots of August hunts there (though they'll obviously mostly be about the first 5 miles). I think there are some streches where you can avoid "tundra teetering" on the walk in, but have no idea if bou will be accessable in those areas in August. You might want to research the air taxis that operate in the area, also.

Obviously the big dif between Oct. & Aug. is the ground will not be frozen. Not as easy walking in Aug. also lots of bugs, when the wind quits, the bugs will swarm you. I can think of better places to take my father hunting....

I hunted in August 2003 or 2004 around Frankling Bluffs, maybe MP 30-40? Franklin was in the east side of the road, I headed directly west. The ground was much easier to walk here, it wasn't the rolling hills of tundraheads and soggy, spongy ground like farther south. Might be easier walking for your dad too, not sure his age or physical condition. There was a ton of standing water though, so hip boots would probably be better than my 10" boots since I went over the tops several times. Hip boots would allow you to walk out in more of a straight line as opposed to skirting around deeper water pools too. I recall there was some hill or land feature that was very close to 5-6 miles to the west of the highway, I would find good maps or look on Google Earth to find a good glassing hill. That far north, even though its flat as a pancake, it seems there is a gentle roll to the ground in spots and you may not be able to see 5+ miles like in many other places.

Sorry, Franklin Bluffs