Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATV Tires

Default ATV Tires

Looking to purchase some new tires for my Sportsman 500, and with all to select from, I could use a little help. I was thinking about ITP Mud lites 27x9x12 in front and 27x12x12 in the rear. There is lots of mud and swamp in my riding. Any other recomendations of better maybe cheaper tires other than the ITP's??? Thanx

Itp,s are the ticket.

I have the ITP Swamp Lites on my 500HO and on my Big Boss. I love them! However, they do like to dig :-) and :-( at the same time. It is not a big deal on the 500HO, but when the 6x6 gets stuck, it is STUCK! Thak goodness for a good winch.

We recently put ITP Black Water Evolution 8 ply, on our Prowler. I like them so far but will really test them this spring. We also have 589's on both of our 4x4's. I like that fact that these tires have real stiff side walls. While they may ride a little rough on hard pack at slow speeds, but once you get going they are nice. They may be a little heavy but I will accept that for the stiff side walls.
    Also we ordered our tires for the Prowler from Texas and even with freight they were $300 cheaper than getting them here. It pays to look around.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    Looking to purchase some new tires for my Sportsman 500, and with all to select from, I could use a little help. I was thinking about ITP Mud lites 27x9x12 in front and 27x12x12 in the rear. There is lots of mud and swamp in my riding. Any other recomendations of better maybe cheaper tires other than the ITP's??? Thanx
    ITP's are heavy and 27's on a 500 will definitely cause a loss in power without clutch work. Personally on my 550 I had 26" ITP XTR's which rode very smooth but I lost power and had to use low range a lot. The sidewalls on ITP's are weak and very susceptible to punctures. Then I went to 26" Maxis Zillas which were a 35lb weight loss and return all of my power that was lost due to tire weight, and much better performance in muskeg and snow. The change to Zillas was a drastic improvement.

ITP 589 fan here, but I also like the Kenda Executioners. Kendas come in the sizes that you like and have bead protection. I had a Polaris Sportsman 550 X2 with 26" 589's and did not notice any significant power loss. Who cares if you have to use low all the time. Side rant - I've never understood the loss of power complaint. Either use a lower gear or get a stiffer primary spring. Also, I've found that the guys who complain about power loss are the ones who try to go through stuff in 2WD, brag if they can make it and complain if they can't. Flame on.

I agree in the 589's are on the heavy side but in 2200 miles I have not had a 'power' issue. About the only time that I have noticed that I needed more power was when I have a full caribou on the back of my machine and working through the brush. In those cases, I just went to low range and kept on going. Our 598's have worn real well and still have lots of tread depth. I would have gotten 598's for our Prowler but could not find them in 27" for 14" wheels.
    There are several good tires out there, it is just what one expects from them.

I have only had 589's until I got my Ranger 6X6 and wanted to put 30's on it. However, another buddy of mine has a Ranger 6X6 and he put 27" Kenda Executioners on his and they have a similar tread pattern as the 589's, the rubber is similarly as stiff as the 589's and they have bead protection. Like Bearcat said, the 589's wear really well. You have to put thousands of miles on them before you'll notice significant tread/paddle wear. However, I think 589's are discontinued. I just had a hard time finding anyone that was selling them.

http://www.mud-throwers.com/inc/sdetail/6599/3324 Not the cheapest but will ship to lower 48 for free.

Mud-throwers will also ship to Carlile terminal in Tacoma and Carlile will put them on a pallet to Anchorage terminal for $99. Mud-throwers will also put the tires on rims, provide stems and caps if you want.

I bought six Mudlite 30X12-14 mounted on IPT SS 212's with stems, caps, and lug nuts and had them all shipped to Tacoma for free then put on a pallet and shipped to Anchorage terminal for like $150 or something.

You encounter lots of mud? Take a gander at the terminators, unbelievably smooth running, 6 ply, bead guard, wrap around tread, blah blah blah....they're as mean as anything out there and don't ride nearly as rough as the other popular big mud tires, i love the 589's but these are noticeably smoother than even those...i have very few miles on mine so i can't comment on durability but they 'seem' like they'll hold up nicely...

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I put Kenda Bear Claws on mine this fall. Awesome tires with a bead guard as well. 6 ply and tons of grip. Have to soften my shocks, cause the stiff sidewalls don't flex like the stock tires, so the ride is much rougher. Found them on amazon for about half the price of ITPs and free shipping.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I put 26x9x12 and 26x12x12 Mud Lite tires on my wife's 2013 Razor 570 LE and my 2011 Big Boss 6x6. My son-in law has the 28's on his 800 Ranger. So far they are holding air and no punctures after about 120 miles on our Alaskan trails. My son-in-law is on his third season with no problems. We did not have to re-clutch and they do much better in the mud then our stock OEM tires did. They were a compromise tire for us, not a true mud tire yet a good all around tire for Alaska, so far......

I have had great results with the Interco Swamp Lites, great in mud and fairly smooth on hard pack as well as good in and over rocks. Just my two cents.

A little late on the reply, I got Radial GBC Spartacus tires for my rhino last year and have been happy with them, but these are the first aftermarket tire I have had and don't have much to compare them too. If you can find a place with free shipping in the lower 48, you can have them shipped to Carlilse in Seattle and barged up for $50-75. I think mine were $50 to barge with new rims. 12" wheels will give you more rubber between the rim and the ground than most 14"s will.

H​ow long did it take to get your tires from Carlile?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    H​ow long did it take to get your tires from Carlile?
    I have not shipped tires, but I have shipped a truck exhaust system (similar size) using Carlile Express out of Seattle. They fill a container up and ship it once a week (takes about three days), and it is a flat fee, $50 for me. The shop is in the Industrial area, near the International Dealer. You need to register in advnce and can ship a lot through them. You can also ship regular, which is just a little more. They are fast IMHO.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Can't remember exactly, but I think about a week after the wheels/tires got to Seattle. The weather in the Gulf of Alaska I'm sure plays a part in how fast they can move the barge or if they are waiting out a storm, I think barges leave a couple times a week.

Default ATV Tires

I buy all my tires off amazon and if they have the free super saver shipping on them they ship free to your door!!!! I saved big time doing this

Default ATV Tires

Ups put them on the porch for me

Quote Originally Posted by nastyak650h1 View Post
    Ups put them on the porch for me
    Same for me. Full set of mud lites, $317 off amazon. Free 2nd day air to Fairbanks. Not gonna beat that anywhere!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast