Thread: New to trapping

Default New to trapping

So i found an area i want to trap. I got one fox trap and three snares. I havent boiled them yet because i dint want to do it the wrong way. Can anyone give some tips n tricks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the snares and the trap brand new? You aren't giving yourself much of a chance with only that many. Just boil the traps in water for a few minutes to get any oil off if they are new. When I was a kid, I would set in culverts that go under roads. Then I could run them by car before school. Caught a coon once that was packing 2 turkeys with him. I used to dye the traps with walnut hulls by boiling them with the traps. We let the traps rust first, so they dye would stick to them. Your best bet in my opinion would be to try and find a well used trail that crosses a roadway, and follow it for a ways until you find a good spot where the trail narrows down and goes between trees. Same for any side trails. You want to set the snares in choke points where the only way to continue on is if they go in your snares. You will need bait or lure for the steel trap. I'd set in in the opening of a cubby (fake den opening).

Copy that thank you a bunch i will try that out tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add a little baking soda to the water when you boil your traps, you'll be amazed what comes off of them.

Hi Tim!
    Go to your web browser and type in snaring and trapping and you will find a wealth of you tube videos to learn from. While different parts of the country have their own unique challenges animal behavior is pretty similar in all states so you can pick up useful info even if it is not from your area! Good Luck sir!
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....