Thread: Game camera to withstand the cold

Default Game camera to withstand the cold

I am in need of a game camera that can withstand the cold. I have a thief out on my trap line and stole 3 marten sets out past willow. Any good recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The first thing I would do is determine if the problem is your camera or the battery.

The camera i have uses 4 C batteries and i do not think C batteries like the cold.

Never had any problems with cameras in cold weather, just batteries. Might look inot Lithium batt's.
    Hope you catch 'em!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    The camera i have uses 4 C batteries and i do not think C batteries like the cold.
    "C" is a size designation, and it's not the size but the composition that's the issue with cold. Alkaline batteries don't like cold. Lithium batteries are the best bet. You're not likely to find C sized lithium batteries at the grocery store tho....

I'll defer to others for advice on the best cold performing camera.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

No batteries likes cold weather.
    You can buy some very expense cold weather batteries and them you find out the camera also does not like the cold. That why I would test ever thing to find out where the weak link is.

Willow is a very cold area, you should plan on testing down to neg 10* if possible.

I used my Bushnell Trophy HD camera all last winter with the same set of lithium batteries. Never had a problem with temps down to -30 or so.

What is the detection range really good for on the bushnell hd? How many feet will it actually detect is what i am asking?

I run Lithium AA's and C's in 3 Moultrie cameras all winter and usually one set last for at least 3 or 4 months unless you run the cameras in video mode...'I think daylight range is better than night and I would say about 50 feet covers the answer to distance... You can run into some blur issues if frost/ice etc gets on the lenz.... I would set th camera to at least 4 or more sequence pics to help get different angles... I hate trap thieves - good luck!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Supporting Member

Hope you reported the theft to the Wildlife Troopers.

Good luck catching the thief. My Moultrie took pics down to 48 below. I use lithium batts and sometimes a solar panel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0033.jpg   PICT0024.jpg