Thread: 22 K Hornet

Default 22 K Hornet

What is a K hornet? What is the difference in it and a regular 22 Hornet?

Check the loading manuals for pics, and I bet you could find drawings or photos online via google. Basically the K blows out that "long" tapered case to form a case body with more or less parallel walls, a distinct shoulder and a neck long enough to grab bullets well. There's quite a jump in powder capacity (percentage-wise at least), but the bigger deal for accuracy in my experience is the distinct shoulder for head spacing. Picture in your mind what happened on a much larger scale when the 300 H&H was blown out to 300 Winnie or similar.

Thats right. It's much the same principle as "Ackley Improved" cartridges and you can form fire cases from standard hornet in KHornet guns. But remember there is also a significant pressure increase. It's a neat cartridge and would be fun to work up loads for and shoot, but, IMO one could probably accomplish the same thing and more out of a .223 and not have to form fire cases and be able to maintain correct head stamps. Just my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Check the loading manuals for pics, and I bet you could find drawings or photos online via google. Basically the K blows out that "long" tapered case to form a case body with more or less parallel walls, a distinct shoulder and a neck long enough to grab bullets well. There's quite a jump in powder capacity (percentage-wise at least), but the bigger deal for accuracy in my experience is the distinct shoulder for head spacing. Picture in your mind what happened on a much larger scale when the 300 H&H was blown out to 300 Winnie or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    But remember there is also a significant pressure increase.
    Howso? If you use normal reloading methods, there's no extra pressure unless you push your loads- same for any reconfig.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Howso? If you use normal reloading methods, there's no extra pressure unless you push your loads- same for any reconfig.

Sure. Just as with any of the wildcats increased case capacity = potential for more powder = can result in higher pressures. I believe the saami psi for the hornet was actually decreased from 47,000 to 43,000 several years ago. I don't have my book in front of me so don't quote the exact #'s. If I was trying to get max out of a K-Hornet I would be concerned with excess pressure, especially in some of the "old" actions. And if I took the time and $ to make a k-Hornet out of a regular hornet, probably the first thing I would do is start working up to see how much faster it will get without sacrificing accuracy, hence the likely hood for signifigant pressure increase. Again just my 2c...

Pictures always help

While the Kilborn Hornet makes some gains in case capacity and hence slight gain in velocity, the real improvement is extended case life. The hornet is a very slender little case and the gradually sloped shoulder and slightly generous factory chamber dimensions can result in relatively short case life. By blowing out the case and sharpening up the shoulder case life tends to be extended and the brass isn't worked as much.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    ...potential...can result...I believe...trying to get max...some of the "old" actions...to see how much faster...likely hood for signifigant pressure increase....
    See, that's it. You're talking about possibilities and potential abuses rather than any inherent pressure increase from the case change. There's no reason you can't use normal reloading methods and produce loads with the same pressure. In fact, if you went on using standard Hornet loads in a K case, you'd be running less pressure rather than more.

It's all about the guy jerking on his reloader and him pushing the case beyond its capabilities. Same as happens with standard cases. Troopers call that driver error when it happens on the road, and is not the fault of the car.

The whole point I'm making is the potential for better accuracy from better chambering, and of course the proven better case life with proper reloading methods. I'm no more likely to push pressures with it than with any other case because that's not my interest or nature. Responsible reloaders won't have any more pressure problems than with standard case config.

Sounds Good. No hot rodding equals happy K-Hornet

As I pointed out in a different thread there have been a LOT of Brown Bears killed with the standard 22 Hornet.

I'm all about "to each their own" but I think the hornet and k-hornet are ugly little cases! I'm going to have to check one out in person though, now i'm intrigued!

PaulH, both of the rounds in your photo look like the case mouth is seated past the ogive. Is that just an illusion, common with this cartridge? Are those 40 gr ballistic tips? Thanks.

what practical advantage does this cartridge have over a 223 Rem?

It was a random google image, the bullets definately look to be seated with the ogive in the case.

Practical advantage over the .223? Absolutely none I can think of. The .223 offers readily available brass, loaded ammo, outstanding accuracy without being sensitive to primers, powders or requiring partial case sizing. And the .223 can be accurately downloaded to 22 hornet levels, as well as run full power.

Of course if you came across a nice svelte Anschutz or Krico you might feel that you just had to have one. I'm still kinda regretting not picking up an Anshutz hornet I came across a year or so ago. Then again I have several .223's and just can't see a need for the hornet. I also have a .221 fireball that is another option for a nice accurate mild 22 centerfire.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks Paul. I understand the interest in cartridges that are different. But like you said, a 223 is so available, versatile and relatively cheap, its hard to beat...

Only advantage I see over 223 is the rim. The rim works way better in single shots where the extractor is in the breach and feeds better in levers. Only an advantage sometimes though, other times it would be a disadvantage.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Seems it could be a fun companion if you already reload .223 if your just looking for something cheap to tinker with since there is commonality of components?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I like the RIM.

Isn't a Rim the most positive and safest method of headspacing there is?

Doesn't the 30-30 have a Rimmed case? There ain't no flys on the 30-30

I think the performance of the K Hornet, or even the Non-K Hornet is, seemingly out of proportion, great, considering the size of the case, and you can shoot the reg in the K.

The thing that intrigues me about the SMALL size, is that compared to the 223, and chambered in a Survival Gun, you'd be able to carry a LOT more ammo, than if it were a 223.

If it were a 223, the gun would likely be an Auto, and you'd need "a lot more ammo". (Think AR Survival Gun.) Andy can make you one.

I don't like the twist rate. I would want my survival gun to have a twist fast enough to stabilize at least a 60 or 70 grain bullet like many 223s can.

I'm just thinking that either Hornet version would kill a moose if you shot it in the head, and do in small game also, hence the survival aspect.

As far as the range goes, I wouldn't be shooting past it's effective range anyway.

Beyond that, I have no use for a 22 Center Fire.

Hmmm, My 30-30 is a better choice. What am I thinking of????

I need to take my Meds.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.