Thread: Sharpen Impeller - Leading Edge?

Default Sharpen Impeller - Leading Edge?

This might sound dumb, but when the outboardjets site says to sharpen the "leading edge" what do they mean by leading edge? Is it just the 3 1" straight sections at the bottom of the impeller where I guess they cut the water? or is it the bottom of the fin all the way up to the top of the impeller. Or both?

Thanks.

I own an inboard 3b stage koadiak and your sposed to keep the edge that bites the water sharp. But not really sharp beacause it will make them weak and they will chip. you just want a nice clean rounded edge not any sharper than a like a coal chisel would have.

Default Underside

Just to clarify what magnum man said, it's the underside that you sharpen. Not the easy to get to side. You just want to cut the sharp edges off the easy side and sharpen the hard to get to side. Sorry if it's confusing, but the only way to describe it.

Impeller big side on the table, take file and run under leading edge applying pressure upwards sharpening underneath.

Rob, does this help explain and is it accurate?

Cool Handy Honing Tool

Hello All,
    Hunt_AK: Thanks for the illustration.
    I know there are probably a number of ways to keep the edges on an impeller sharp. Here is mine that I have been employing for over six years: I attach a 7-inch 180 grit sanding disk, face up, onto a 10-inch drill press running at a fairly low speed.
    The disk is wide enough to allow me to hit the whole length of the edge at once without bumping against any other surfaces/edges of the impeller.
    It is pretty accurate and fast. I use the finer grades to ensure I don't take too much off at a time, although I have used 60 and 80 grit disks when I really banged the edges up.
    The nice thing about this setup is that you can orient the disk up or down, depending on whether you find holding the impeller upside-down or rightside-up.

Default Is that the same as grinding through a 60-80 Grit gravelbar?

:

Thats the method I've been employing for years anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by rpv View Post
    Hello All,
    Hunt_AK: Thanks for the illustration.
    I know there are probably a number of ways to keep the edges on an impeller sharp. Here is mine that I have been employing for over six years: I attach a 7-inch 180 grit sanding disk, face up, onto a 10-inch drill press running at a fairly low speed.
    The disk is wide enough to allow me to hit the whole length of the edge at once without bumping against any other surfaces/edges of the impeller.
    It is pretty accurate and fast. I use the finer grades to ensure I don't take too much off at a time, although I have used 60 and 80 grit disks when I really banged the edges up.
    The nice thing about this setup is that you can orient the disk up or down, depending on whether you find holding the impeller upside-down or rightside-up.