Thread: shot group question

Default shot group question

I target shoot about once a week with my buckmark .22 pistol, i shoot 10,15yrds and avrage around a 1"-2" group.
    At what distance is normal for target and what size group.
    Im useing the .22 because im just getting into handguns, i also have a m&p 99mm,.357 and a .44mag.
    Iv shot handguns but not target.

It depends if you are shooting off a rest or offhand. for offhand with a 22 you are doing ok. For a 22 I like to be able to shoot 2 1/2" groups off hand at 25yards and big ragged hole at ten yards. For your 44mag I want 3"or less at 25 yards slow fire bench or offhand.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I try to only shoot off hand i only use a rest to sight in.but i have my good days and bad days. On a good day i shoot 1" consistently on a bad day id say i shoot around 2 1/2-3" but thats only at 15 yds im trying to work my way out id say at 25 im at maybe 3" right now. Nxt month ill work on the 9mm. The .44 i bought for fishing up there dureing the summer id be happy with a 3-4" group as its a snub nose ruger alaskan so im not expecting it to be a tack driver.i try and pick up tips from the guys at the range. The 9mm has fixed sights and im still getting used to it. I haven't shot a handgun sense i got out of the army and all we had to do was score body shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    It depends if you are shooting off a rest or offhand. for offhand with a 22 you are doing ok. For a 22 I like to be able to shoot 2 1/2" groups off hand at 25yards and big ragged hole at ten yards. For your 44mag I want 3"or less at 25 yards slow fire bench or offhand.

The Alaskan is accurate enough and yes 3-4" at 25yds is what I get with mine in 454.. With my Alaskan I only shoot one or two cylinders full on a range day as it starts going down hill after that.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'd say with a fair bit of practice you should be able to hit clay pigeons at 50 yds with your 22.

It's hard to say what is a normal target group because it's a combination of the guns ability and your ability. I know people that can shoot groups smaller than 2" at 25 yds with big bore handguns, and I've seen people that are hard pressed to shoot a 4" group at 7 yards with a 38 special.

All I can suggest is to keep practicing with your 22 to perfect your handgun shooting and limit shooting your 44 until you've built proficiency. Once you find yourself flinching with the 44, stop shooting it for the day. I made the mistake of trying to shoot through a flinch almost 20 years ago when I was young and dumb and I've been fighting it ever since.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

A good way to see if you are flinching or have other problems is to always just load five rounds durning pratice and don not know when the empty is comming. I threw myself off the porch once about forty years ago thinking my gun was loaded with my new extra hot handloads,gun was empty.

You're doing very good keep up the practice. Increase your distance as you progress.
    Steve

.22 ammo is going to limit you. The Buckmark is a wonderful gun as is the Ruger and to tell the truth, any good semi. Problem today is ammo.

I agree with sb with factory ammo you are shooting good groups. Stepping up to target ammo will tighten the groups up. The upper end cci ammo is also pretty consistent. Sadly now days its shoot whatever your lucky enough to find.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

One thing I'd sure do when switching to a revolver is work with reduced loads at first- 44 sp in the 44 and 45c in the 454- both at standard vels and not heated up in the least. The mechanics of shooting them is so different than a semi, you won't learn them well if you're trying to overcome recoil and noise too. Once you get them tamed, then start working up the load scale.

Don't jump all the way to factory mags and hotter, rather hit some points in between to learn how to add the noise and recoil to your sound mechanics. You're going to reach some point at which the noise and recoil overcome the sound mechanics. It's different for each person, and if anyone tells you the load you settle on isn't hot enough, tell them to go pound sand. I'll take accurate shooting any day over big noise and bad shooting. Lotta guys touting super hot loads might as well be lighting off firecrackers, their shooting is so worthless. Don't listen to them. Just shoot and make them wish they could shoot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    One thing I'd sure do when switching to a revolver is work with reduced loads at first- 44 sp in the 44 and 45c in the 454- both at standard vels and not heated up in the least. The mechanics of shooting them is so different than a semi, you won't learn them well if you're trying to overcome recoil and noise too. Once you get them tamed, then start working up the load scale.

Don't jump all the way to factory mags and hotter, rather hit some points in between to learn how to add the noise and recoil to your sound mechanics. You're going to reach some point at which the noise and recoil overcome the sound mechanics. It's different for each person, and if anyone tells you the load you settle on isn't hot enough, tell them to go pound sand. I'll take accurate shooting any day over big noise and bad shooting. Lotta guys touting super hot loads might as well be lighting off firecrackers, their shooting is so worthless. Don't listen to them. Just shoot and make them wish they could shoot as well.
    i agree completely!
    Steve

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I've never heard bad advice from BrownBear.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I was missing squirrels with my 10-22 so went to my range. Shots all over the place with Fed bulk. Win bulk worse. Tried all kinds of ammo and some shot very good at 50 yards but I can't buy the old loads anymore.
    I have old target loads left from IHMSA, RWS target stuff. Shot them from my Ruger Mark II from the bench at 25 yards. I screwed up the last shot, and I felt it but put nine shots in a ragged hole. CCI is good, maybe the best today. Can't get the Fed target stuff anymore.
    Don't blame yourself or the gun.Rugerslabside.jpg