Thread: Questions regarding firewood near fairbanks

Default Questions regarding firewood near fairbanks

Mods, please feel free to move this to a more appropriate location

So I live in soldotna and my parents just moved to ester a couple months ago. Well a short while ago my dad was scouting for a trapping area and broke his leg. He hasn't finished collecting firewood and can't work or afford to buy any now. To top it off my mom slipped and broke her wrist 2 days ago and is having surgery tomorrow. I'm going up there for thanksgiving but my dad said his wood cutting area is now inaccessible so I'm asking any of you guys up there if you know of any areas that night be easier to access so I can try to get some collected.

Also they haven't had an opportunity to furnish their house with the incidents so If anyone is selling any cheap furniture please let me know.

Thanks for reading guys and I appreciate any help or advice

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

Bum story. This is definately the season to be collecting firewood with a snowmachine. But if all you have is a truck, i would suggest driving down chena hot springs road to look for firewood. it's a 50 dollar permit, but there are a lot of blow downs next to the road.

I appreciate the suggestion. Yeah unfortunately our luck runs like that sometimes. I will be in my dad's truck, No snow machine up there unfortunately.
    The wife and kids will be able to help around the house while I devote most of my time to firewood if it's even slightly productive.

Is that a separate permit for that area? My dad already has a permit and I'm not familiar with the process having just moved to Alaska a little over a year ago and not having a fire place or wood stove

Call up the Fairbanks State Forestry office and see what areas they have for firewood cutting and the necessary permits.

You can get permits online here: http://forestry.alaska.gov/wood/firewood.htm scroll down to where it says "DOF online firewood permit system". If you click on that it will give you some conditions for woodcutting. Just say "okay" to that and you'll get a map of the cutting areas. From there you can click on one of them to apply for a permit. You are limited to the area where you purchase a permit so I would suggest scouting them out to see which one has the best access now before you commit to an area. They may be logging on some of those roads and at least giving them some rudimentary maintenance. I'm not sure of that so you'll just have to check around. There are signs marking the woodcutting areas. There used to be large areas where you could cut only birch. Some people ignored the rules and took out all the spruce also, so they changed it so there's smaller areas now, but you can cut birch, spruce or aspen in the designated area. If you do decide you'd rather cut in a different area than what you got the permit for, you can change it but that requires a visit to the State DNR office. Hope this helps and good luck....Louis
    Louis Knapp

cost a little more..

however you could contact Wayne the woodguy, and have him deliver a 5 cord load of logs to your yard.

then you cut and split, this may save you a lot of time and maybe getting stuck in an area you don't know yet.

460-6167

Chris

Very true. I've seen a couple unfortunate folks in the woodcutting area who could have bought a lot of firewood for what they paid for the tow truck!
    Louis Knapp

Look on Craigslist. There was a post the other day about a guy in Fairbanks sick of burning wood and had 25 cords he wanted to get rid of fairly cheap. Not sure the of the legitimacy, but worth a call.

Thanks guys, got him set up for a while with some dead standing birch on the property but I'm gonna have to run up there again soon. The wood guy will potentially be a life saver, gonna have to call him. I've checked Facebook frequently and most I see are 300 a cord for logs or 350 bucked which seems steep to me for what we get on the peninsula

Wayne is less than $200 a cord for logs...

You would have to call to get price.

But he is a great guy, and if an emergency.. would probably fit in schedule quickly..

Chris

heres a thought... have logs delivered to yer folks place..
    don't come up till it's piled in the yard...

may save time that way..

course if you got trees in the yard that need cutting... that's close and should be fairly easy

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    Wayne is less than $200 a cord for logs...

You would have to call to get price.

But he is a great guy, and if an emergency.. would probably fit in schedule quickly..

Chris
    I have not bought any wood from Wayne, since we haul our own, nor do I know him personally, but I saw where some folks on the
    Cripple Creek facebook page were giving him strong recommendations. He was advertising that he was donating a free cord of wood to any elderly widow in the Fairbanks area. If we had to purchase wood, he's definitely the guy I'd call.
    Louis Knapp