Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo disposal

Default Ammo disposal

So this fall with all the rain our basement had some partial flooding. As a result of the flooding I had some miscellaneous ammo become slightly to moderately corroded. Enough so that I refuse to put it any of my guns. It is mostly shotgun shells (20ga. &12ga) with a few rounds of 30-06 & 30-30. I was wondering if anyone might have any idea where to take it for disposal other than the Rabbit Creek range. There hours of operation conflict with my work hours. I know they would do it for free, so is there anywhere else that does this?

Cut the shotgun shells open and save the lead shot to melt down. Dispose of the rest of the shotgun shells. Pull the bullets out of the rifle brass. Dry and clean the rifle brass and check to see if it could be reused. A cheap way to clean the brass is to soak it overnight in a pack of Kool-Aid and enough water to cover the brass. With shooting supplies getting hard to get we need to salvage and save as much of it as possible.

I'll take it; I'll send you a PM.

Kool-Aid is a new one on me, what does it do, lift tarnish?

I agree it should be recycled but the recycling outfits here donít take it any more I hear, not even spent cases they say. So your left with just finding someone like FL2AK who wants to take it on.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Kool-Aid is a new one on me, what does it do, lift tarnish?
    Tobasco sauce works well, too. SOmething in the Kool-Aid (or Tobasco sauce) neutralizes or attacks the corrosion and allows you to rub it off. I just used Tobasco recently on some copper plumbing pipe to remove some crud to make it easier to solder on.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Give it to me, and I'll put it in my Burn Barrel.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

A few years ago I was talking to one of the techs at Sierra bullets and he told me to try the Kool-Aid. It works! Something in it will clean brass and copper very good. Soak it overnight, rinse it off, and let it dry.

Probably citric acid .
    Coke might do the same thing.

A lot of the things we drink have mild acids in them. Mainly the citric acid mentioned before. But pretty much everything we drink has some form of acid in it. A lot of stuff we eat also. You could drop them in spaghetti sauce and get the same effect due to the acidic content of tomatoes. A simple an easy thing is to just use fresh squeezed lemon juice. It's less likely to tint the metals.

A lot of vinegars will work also since they are pretty much just acid, which is why tobasco works so well.

I always used Davey Jones' Locker . . .

50 fathoms is a good start!

Iíve used lemon, ketchup, vinegar of curse and a number of other things when I was messing around with bronze patina years ago but all were more expensive and less effective than meiotic acid. Kool-Aid is interesting, itís the first powder Iíve ever heard suggested and itís cheap and in handy little packets. Thanks Cast Iron.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Iíve used lemon, ketchup, vinegar of curse and a number of other things when I was messing around with bronze patina years ago but all were more expensive and less effective than meiotic acid. Kool-Aid is interesting, itís the first powder Iíve ever heard suggested and itís cheap and in handy little packets. Thanks Cast Iron.
    don't mean to be a pain, just want to be sure I read that right. Did you mean muriatic acid?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    don't mean to be a pain, just want to be sure I read that right. Did you mean muriatic acid?
    Auto correct strikes again. Yes muriatic acid, also caller hydrochloric acid or spirits of salt but at Home Depot/Lowes itís labeled muriatic acid so I call it that. Full on NASTY stuff to work with but does a fine job on many metallic cruds.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Seriously, I've cleaned up tarnished brass, even loaded rounds with Brass Polish. I wash it off afterwards.

I even have some Brass Polish that is Water Soluable.

All handloads, should be disassembled, because you don't know what's really in'em.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Which kool-aid flavor do you prefer?

Lemon- lime, cherry, or grape is what I usually had here at home. If cleaning brass don't use sugar in it.

It's always good to know the stuff we hydrate our kids with is a fantastic metal stripper!

Quote Originally Posted by corbanzo View Post
    It's always good to know the stuff we hydrate our kids with is a fantastic metal stripper!
    Is THAT, why they become monsters?

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by corbanzo View Post
    If that really bothers you, you probably want to avoid Orange Juice (or any citrus juice for that matter), tomatoes (and anything that is made with tomatoes), anything that has vinegar in it, most vegetables, fuits, meats (in particular fish), and nearly all breads and nuts.... All are acidic.

My point is, too many people hear the connection between kool aid and acid and assume it's the only thing with acids in it. I assure you it's not. You can achieve the same effects using orange juice, but it costs too much. Even a can of tomato sauce would work.

Just makin a joke brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast