Thread: Sheep Hunting Pack for the Wife

Default Sheep Hunting Pack for the Wife

My bride and I are going on a sheep hunt next september. Wanted to see what kind of packs those of you have used that took your wife on a sheep hunt. My wife is 5' 7" and medium build. And I want to hear the opinions on whether we should take one rifle or two?

Quote Originally Posted by stickshaker View Post
    My bride and I are going on a sheep hunt next september. Wanted to see what kind of packs those of you have used that took your wife on a sheep hunt. My wife is 5' 7" and medium build. And I want to hear the opinions on whether we should take one rifle or two?
    Man…so many variables on packs. Really suggest you go somewhere and try them on with some weight…a realistic load weight. Good packs for ladies tend to be fitted for ladies or somewhat customizable. I'd look at Mystery Ranch (my wife's favorite) or Kifaru or one of the better backpacking brand packs- Arcteryx, Osprey, etc.

As far as two rifles? That's easy…. just one that'll work for you both- fastest way to drop 8 pounds from your load.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I will give out a second vote out for an Osprey internal frame backpack. I have owned two them. They are hands down the best pack I have ever owned or used. I used them when I was a packer, an assistant guide, a registered guide, and I use them now when I hunt for myself. They work great for packing animals, for hunting, and they are very comfortable, and you can fit just about everything you would ever need in them. I have packed sheep, moose, caribou, bears, goats etc. in mine. You can fit a whole moose hind quarter in them. You got all sorts of straps and external tie downs and pockets for carrying all the accessories like your spotting scope, nalgene bottle etc. You probably won't be having your wife pack a moose quarter, but the point is, it is a very comfortable and useful pack. My wife is very small and petite, so I couldn't find an Osprey pack her size. She has a Kelty. It works just fine, but it is definitely not the same quality as an Osprey pack.

My wife liked this pack well, Barneys Hunter pack, not too big, and not too small. This was her hunt and she settled for this after trying a few. She had no problems packing her sheep out 11.3 miles.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/...99298180_n.jpg

My wife, another couple and I did a sheep hunt this past fall. Here is a link to that hunt, might give you some reference to the gear we used.

Everyone is different, but I have done the one rifle hunt, and now my wife and I prefer to both have our own.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...unt?highlight=

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Bear hunter from AkRange. Each take a rifle.

I trained 100s and 100s of men and women while in the Army, during road marches one thing became apparent. That is an adult can carry 1/3 of their body weight for extended periods of time, once you exceed that 1/3 the duration they can sustain operations is dramatically reduced. For a 180 lb man that means they can pack 60lbs for long distances. That same 60lbs on a 120lb woman is 1/2 of her body weight and she cannot sustain that load for very long. My wife is 120 lbs, so I try to keep her pack at or near 40lbs. This is very difficult when you start with a 10lb pack. The other issue is she cannot pack triple digit loads and therefore does not need a pack capable of such.

A sheep head in the cape will run on average of 25lbs plus or minus 5 lbs, with the boned out meat running between 80 and 100 lbs.

These are a few things to ponder when considering a pack and how it will be used. In other words I would not look at 10lb packs capable of triple digit loads unless your wife can make the most of them. Last thing I want on backpacks hunts is too much of anything.

Backpacking packs are not really suited for most men on backpacking hunts because they are not made to haul triple digit loads and often fail when loaded with gear and game. However, they may be more appropriate for smaller hunters with less hauling capability.

As I mentioned, I choose to carry 2 rifles when I hunt with my wife, but this is more to serve as a backup for her and for the times I leave her to have a look here or there. She and I do not wish to be left unarmed, I do have my pack setup so I can carry two rifles if I need to.

I approach hunting with my wife different than I would hunting with an other man. Stuff adds up quick, 1.5 lbs of food per day for 7 or 10 days, sleeping gear, rain gear, etc.. gets hard to stay under 50lbs.

Just some food for thought, my sheep hunt with my wife, while very challenging, it was without question one of the most rewarding.

Good luck to you both.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stickshaker View Post
    Buy a used old Dana Design Terraplane or Astralplane. They carry heavy loads REALLY well, are tough as nails, and can be had relatively cheaply. Same guy as MR packs, just older. You won't get camo, but camo is fashion not function. Why spend upwards of $500 on a pack thats going to get bloody and beat up?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

My wife uses a Gregory pack and loves it, but fit is far more important than brand. I would take your wife into REI or AMH and have her try on 5-10 packs. Buy the one that feels right, not the one that someone else thinks is the best. If it fits her well, she'll be able to carry it well.

My wife uses an Osprey pack. She's loves it. Seems to be a good trade off between weight to pack ratio.

I bought my first high quality pack last year, a Kifaru BT1 and I really love it. If I were to buy my wife a pack I would probably look at the Kifaru T3 or something similar. As stated by Steve above, you don't want or need a pack the size that you are going to carry so you might as well lighten her load and go with a pack that starts out lighter and wont expand to a point that she is trying to carry to much weight. There are lots of other brands, most of which have been named already, but she will be much more comfortable if you can get her into an internal frame pack.

Good luck with the pack and have an awesome trip. May the sheep gods shine upon you.

My wife and I both really the Kifaru 5200, I had it resized an bought a belt that fit her. They are not making those anymore, but it is a sweet pack that is under 5lbs.

She likes the pack, but she was not feeling it at this point.

But, I recommend any pack that has HORNS strapped to it.

Last edited by stid2677; 11-24-2013 at 17:32.
    Founding Member

My wife tried various Gregory and REI brand packs before going with the Osprey Viva 65 in medium (she's 5'8" with a slender build). We actually ended up going with also ended up going with last years model because the frame/susupension fit her better. The pack fit her 40 pounds of gear just fine and had plenty of room left for the sheep.

DSC_5021.jpgDSC_5349.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    My wife and I both really the Kifaru 5200, I had it resized an bought a belt that fit her. They are not making those anymore, but it is a sweet pack that is under 5lbs.

She likes the pack, but she was not feeling it at this point.

But, I recommend any pack that has HORNS strapped to it.

We read your post and enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing! We were going to go sheep hunting this last September, but both caught a really nasty cold. I have her gear down to right around 40 lbs with food and water. She has a mid size Gregory. She really likes the suspension, but the pack just isn't that big.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I trained 100s and 100s of men and women while in the Army, during road marches one thing became apparent. That is an adult can carry 1/3 of their body weight for extended periods of time, once you exceed that 1/3 the duration they can sustain operations is dramatically reduced.
    That is an excellent point Steve. I like that approach. I almost wonder if 1/3 is a little bit too much for women though. Not that women are not as tough as men, but there bodies are just built different. I think you are spot on about the 1/3 body weight for men though. I am about 180 and after I go over 60 lbs. my fatigue level goes up exponentially the more I fill my pack.