Thread: ketchikan winter steelhead

Default ketchikan winter steelhead

I am new to ketchikan and trying to find some winter steelies I have been told there is a decent run in ward creek but I have been fishing the last few days with no luck. Does anyone know any good holes for steelhead or dollies this time of year.

This time of year I would fish two places; if the water isn't too high walk out in the shallows at Grassy Point at the inlet of the lake and fish the drop-off and then try walking walking up the inlet creek a couple hundred yards and you'll find a deep hole right before the river forks and fish it all the way to the fork. If they are Ward Lake drainage you should be able to find them in one of those two places.

good luck.

What type of lures would you recomend using. I have been drifting yarn and castin blue foxs with no luck so far. Is grassy point the are by the little huts were ward creek flows into the lake?

Quote Originally Posted by papatom75 View Post
    What type of lures would you recomend using. I have been drifting yarn and castin blue foxs with no luck so far. Is grassy point the are by the little huts were ward creek flows into the lake?

Yes, it's that area. I typically fly fish, the times I used spin casting reels I used pink pixies. Your yarn and blue foxes should also work if they are there.

Ok thank you very much

Good luck.