Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter's Moon, Fact or Fiction

Default Hunter's Moon, Fact or Fiction

I read an article recently written by some die-hard whitetail deer hunters down south that swear up and down that hunting a few days after the second full moon after the autumnal equinox is a sure fire method to hunt the peak of the rut. Another theory was similar and it suggested that hunting a few days after the full moon that is closest to Nov. 1 is the way to pinpoint the beginning of the peak rutting period. I was wondering two things; #1) Do you think there is some scientific merit behind this theory?, and #2) Do you think it may also apply to Sitka blacktail deer in Alaska?

The moon runs the tides and we are mostly water so I believe in it. Full moon effects blood also and when not to cut on livestock.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Moon light, makes for great night huntinjg if theres a blanket of snow, just howl up Wolves and use 00 Buck 3" mag
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I live and hunt in Coastal Georgia and have been following this for awhile, I know people who swear by the Solunar tables, and moon charts.. etc, I have never witnessed a coorelation. Sometime, when I see deer, etc, I note the time, and check the tables, but have never seen evidence of merit.
    rut is based on spring birthing times, animals have been doing it for thousands of years, so they are pretty sure when the best time to give birth to preserve the species. IF it was based on the moon, then all deer everywhere would rut at the same time, and obviously they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    rut is based on spring birthing times, animals have been doing it for thousands of years, so they are pretty sure when the best time to give birth to preserve the species. IF it was based on the moon, then all deer everywhere would rut at the same time, and obviously they don't.
    The article I read was not implying that all the deer rut and breed on the exact same day. Instead it suggested that a period of time, say 1-2 weeks which BEGINS after the hunter's moon. But I know what you are saying about the gestation period correlating with spring break up. I have read about that as well. In particular with moose I think that is important. Not sure about with deer. Good points.

I don't believe the lunar cycle has much to do with rut, instead I believe rut periods are triggered by daylight period reductions in fall, coupled with temperature and seasonal patterns.

However, i have noticed that animals become nocturnal during full moose cycles, but also depends on cloud cover (visibility). During full moon cycles we frequently see more moose active during midday periods and less active during early morning and late evening periods, which suggests they have been active at night and move around more during midday.

Just a theory to help theoretical movements on any particular hunt.

Conversely, we often see that moose move more often in cooler low light periods when the moon is nearer a new moon cycle, which often provides more sightings during early morning and late evening periods.

There may be more to it than we know, but subtle behavior patterns are hard to deny.

I've seen the same behavior in Blacktails in southern AK.

larry

Last summer I posted details information on why the full moon has no effect on moose rutting.
    If you think it does explain why moose and deer do not go into rut when there is the highest tide of the year? Or for that matter every full moon?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Last summer I posted details information on why the full moon has no effect on moose rutting.
    If you think it does explain why moose and deer do not go into rut when there is the highest tide of the year? Or for that matter every full moon?

Dunno about moose, but anyone who thinks a full moon has no effect on animal behavior should talk to their local OB/GYN, midwife, Emergency Room, or police department.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Dunno about moose, but anyone who thinks a full moon has no effect on animal behavior should talk to their local OB/GYN, midwife, Emergency Room, or police department.
    Using your logic OB/GYM, midwife, Emergency Room, or police department know more about moose rutting than biologist that spent there life studying moose.

From what I know about it, which is very little I admit, the idea is that the full moon stimulates the endocrine system in does (no idea as to how it relates to moose or cow moose for that matter). Seeing how that human females have a regular monthly menstrual cycle with a regular periodicity, I can see how the monthly lunar cycles may play a role in triggering the menstrual cycle in deer. Especially since does that are not bred in the first estrus period can be bred exactly one month later. It is all very interesting to me. I am not sure whether I believe in it or not. I think there is some logic to the idea. I don't know how much scientific data is out there to support or refute these claims. Marcus, I think you have some good points. I think it is naive to think that there is no lunar affect on animal behavior at all.

Smile Thanks . . .

Using your logic OB/GYM, midwife, Emergency Room, or police department know more about moose rutting than biologist that spent there life studying moose.

Please . . read my post again . . carefully . .

. . I said nothing—zip, zero, nada—about "moose rutting" . . .

. . what I did say was "animal behavior" . .

. . so please don't put words in my mouth . .

Marcus' quote has to do with the heightened odd/unique behavior of humans during the periods in which the moon is full. Many claim its hogwash but as he said talking to anyone of his suggested personnel will tell you otherwise. Police departments for sure hate when the moon is full, makes people crazy for some odd reason. No reason to believe it couldn't affect an animal with a lesser developed brain. For all of sciences achievements there is still a vast amount of information and activity they cannot account for.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

If your theory held true, Bushwack, then all women would menstarte at the same time. Yes, it's a 28 day cycle, normally, but it's not the SAME cycle. I have heard that women in confinement will menstrate around the same time but not AT the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    If your theory held true, Bushwack, then all women would menstarte at the same time. Yes, it's a 28 day cycle, normally, but it's not the SAME cycle. I have heard that women in confinement will menstrate around the same time but not AT the same time.
    Not my theory DoughNut. Not even sure who came up with it. I'm just curious if anyone knows if it applies to all species of deer (Blacktails, Muleys etc..), or just Whitetail deer.

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Ask a grade-school teacher if they think a full moon has any affect on their kids... most will insist it does

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    Ask a grade-school teacher if they think a full moon has any affect on their kids... most will insist it does
    But I will have to go on record and say that I don't think it directs the rut. I agree with Larry on daylight hours and temperatures. Kind of like when flowers bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Please . . read my post again . . carefully . .

. . I said nothing—zip, zero, nada—about "moose rutting" . . .

. . what I did say was "animal behavior" . .

. . so please don't put words in my mouth . .
    Using your logic OB/GYM, midwife, Emergency Room, or police department know more about moose BEHAVOIR than biologist that spent there life studying moose. HAPPY NOW!!

I wonder why they don't teach OB/GYM moose reproduction according to you there no difference there both animal right?

for me, the full moon means the animals will feed and be more active "in the dark!".... but only if it would be a clear, cloudless night!.....dark, rainy nights and a full moon would be like having a new moon!....my take anyways!!..would be nice to know the truth!!

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast