Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Opening Change?

Default Sheep Opening Change?

Does anyone know if a proposal to change the general sheep season to an earlier opening has ever been submitted to the BoG? Personally I am in favor of an earlier opening (say July 15?) similar to sheep openings in some Canadian provinces. But what are some of your opinions? Would an earlier opening ever work here in Alaska? Why or Why not?

There are a number of proposals to open at least the resident season at little earlier this year. But those proposals have been in front of BOG for the last several years, and nothing has changed.

Significantly earlier seasons would certainly cause issues with meat care. Early Aug can already be a iffy.

Yk

Though I would selfishly support an earlier season (being a teacher, I'm pretty well hosed for sheep hunting, though I try to squeeze in hunts on the weekends), the reality is that it would either have to come with a shorter season or a faster move towards drawing permits statewide. If we kept the 41 day season in place, longer daylight hours and milder temps would lead to an increased harvest which may not be sustainable. I suppose the argument could be made that full-curl regulations would keep things sustainable, but it sure would lower the # of mature, legal rams left on the mountain at the end of the season.

I could see a 2-5 day extension happening if the right folks were on the BoG, but never something as early as July 15th.

i wouldn't see an issue with opening up all hunts for any species a few days earlier for resident hunters. they are opening up hunts in other states a couple days before the gereral opener for youths to hunt with less competition why not let residents have first crack at the animals in their home state. i think july would be a little early like brian said...too many days in the field would probably increase harvest or at least lead to a greater percentage of the full curl rams being taken.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    i wouldn't see an issue with opening up all hunts for any species a few days earlier for resident hunters.
    As far as most critters go I wouldn't mind.... But what I wouldn't give to be able to hunt moose in my area on a frosty morning other than hunting them at a time which I liken to be only a little north of summertime in AK.....bugs, heat, rain.......YUCK...!!!

Now THAT'S what I would love to see change....another 15 days added to the END of moose season! But no, that's only a pipe dream, as I know "they" would feel that there would be far too many dumb love struck bulls out there wanting to be put out of their misery....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    As far as most critters go I wouldn't mind.... But what I wouldn't give to be able to hunt moose in my area on a frosty morning other than hunting them at a time which I liken to be only a little north of summertime in AK.....bugs, heat, rain.......YUCK...!!!

Now THAT'S what I would love to see change....another 15 days added to the END of moose season! But no, that's only a pipe dream, as I know "they" would feel that there would be far too many dumb love struck bulls out there wanting to be put out of their misery....
    you could always move out of that anchorage suburb you're in (KP) and move to a unit with a moose season that runs august until december. that should cover all your temperature preferences from 60's to -40's. or enjoy a local subsistience season that runs til march. if you cant find a moose in that amount of time maybe its time to call it quits...

Meat care would be much more difficult in July....Especially on a long backpack walkout or something. I could see a large percentage of those sheep going to waste.

Nice to see sheep open a few days later.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    you could always move out of that anchorage suburb you're in (KP) and move to a unit with a moose season that runs august until december.
    Believe me, I've been tempted.....I almost bought 15 acres on Lake Minchumina a few years back. It will probably be something I regret not doing.....

No way a season opener will be sooner than what we have now. Not with the current state of affairs for sheep.

The regulations aren't there to help us harvest animals, they are there to restrict us. It's rare that they would open season early unless they want to kill more animals. Which they don't.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Maybe a better alternative would be to keep the date we have and make it only open to residents and next of kin hunters. Then open it for guides 3-4 days later?

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Maybe a better alternative would be to keep the date we have and make it only open to residents and next of kin hunters. Then open it for guides 3-4 days later?
    Agreed, it's done with moose season out west. Opens in August for residents, Sept. 1-15 for all. An opening week of resident only would be an excellent idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Instead of having different season, we need our state to step up and start regulating guides and how many sheep they can kill. If they had a set number of sheep per unit, that is all they would get and then this would alleviate most of the problem, but it is a free for all out there now and will only get worse and in the end residents will get screwed unless the state steps up and starts controlling the number of guides and how limit the number of non-resident sheep tags that are available. This is what resident hunters need to focus on, putting pressure back on the state to reestablish guide rules, guide areas, and # of animals that can be taken by non-residents. That had a plan that they were working on, but now it is no longer funded, so, back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    The regulations aren't there to help us harvest animals, they are there to restrict us. It's rare that they would open season early unless they want to kill more animals. Which they don't.
    The single best post I have ever read on this site. So true.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Instead of having different season, we need our state to step up and start regulating guides and how many sheep they can kill. If they had a set number of sheep per unit, that is all they would get and then this would alleviate most of the problem, but it is a free for all out there now and will only get worse and in the end residents will get screwed unless the state steps up and starts controlling the number of guides and how limit the number of non-resident sheep tags that are available. This is what resident hunters need to focus on, putting pressure back on the state to reestablish guide rules, guide areas, and # of animals that can be taken by non-residents. That had a plan that they were working on, but now it is no longer funded, so, back to square one.
    Can i second this: all a person needs to do is look at the current cost of a guided sheep hunt (or any big game) and some guides will walk over a resident hunters. They often have more resources, planes , packers etc, and all one has to do is look at our current news and you will find what some guides are willing to do for their clients...Don't get me wrong, there are and have been some outstanding guides, (some that i have held up as nothing short of mentors) but i would like to see the number of guided sheep hunts limited in all areas...

Quote Originally Posted by lak View Post
    Can i second this: all a person needs to do is look at the current cost of a guided sheep hunt (or any big game) and some guides will walk over a resident hunters.
    Oh Goody..........another guide bashing thread! You dirty sheep stealing, low down, non res enabling sons a.....................
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Oh Goody..........another guide bashing thread! You dirty sheep stealing, low down, non res enabling sons a.....................
    MT, not a guide bashing at all, it is called reality. So you would much rather let guides have a free for all on guided sheep hunts, yet limit resident opportunity. I think most involved realize that the state is long overdue in setting non-resident quota's for sheep and other animals that may need it. Just reality and you turn it into a guide bashing. If you only realized how lame the guide rules are now. They have found ways to get around most anything. And yes, there are many very good guides out there as well as bad ones. Sheep hunting is coming to a head and the state has failed drastically at handling the situation. There is no other state that I know of that allows just as much opportunity for sheep hunts.

I'm probably not as up on sheep and guides as you are, Mike. But I have worked as an asst guide and know the requirements that guides must meet.
    I feel you are misleading the readers when you claim, "free for all". Sure, harvest ticket sheep hunt area do have plenty of guides, but those areas also have, or are supposed to have, plenty of sheep That's why they are open to any hunter with a harvest ticket. Other areas are draw and I believe there IS a limit on the number of non res that can get drawn. Correct me if I'm wrong. So in truth, guide clients are limited by several factors and it is NOT a free for all.
    What you also fail to tell the readers is the money non res put up to pay for wildlife management. You seem determined to lower non res hunters in the state, without accounting for the associated drop in income to the dept. Income that pays for the very Dept work that tells us how many sheep are out there and how many we can kill. Without that money and information, I would say that the Dept would cut back sheep hunting for all even more to protect the resource.
    As I understand it, non res contribute between 500 and 1000 bucks per hunter directly to ADF&G. Add in the PR funds and every non res, that you so obviously want out, and the Dept. looses around 3000 bucks per hunter. Counter that with the 25 bucks that you and I pay and the whopping 75 or so in PR funds, and it is pretty obvious WHO pays for F&G management in this state.
    I would love to have my own personal hunting area, but that isn't realistic. Even if you did eliminate some non res and get the associated boost in resident success rates you want, wouldn't that rate increase just bring more res. hunters to the area?
    There's no free lunch. What your suggesting comes at a price. A price that, one way or another, we will all pay if you get your way.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    MT, not a guide bashing at all, it is called reality. So you would much rather let guides have a free for all on guided sheep hunts, yet limit resident opportunity. I think most involved realize that the state is long overdue in setting non-resident quota's for sheep and other animals that may need it. Just reality and you turn it into a guide bashing. If you only realized how lame the guide rules are now. They have found ways to get around most anything. And yes, there are many very good guides out there as well as bad ones. Sheep hunting is coming to a head and the state has failed drastically at handling the situation. There is no other state that I know of that allows just as much opportunity for sheep hunts.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Frankly when I hear about limiting guides all I have to do is think about the Kenai river......something that should have been done years ago, and as you all know......hasn't. Just too much money in it for the state, along with those high price non-res tags.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast