Thread: Predators and Prey, moonlight, nocturnality, and other topics

Default Predators and Prey, moonlight, nocturnality, and other topics

http://alaska-native-news.com/the-ar...-the-moon.html

This is an interesting article related to mammal movements by moonlight. Have any of you made any observations about whether furbearers (predators especially) are more/less active during full moon phases?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Not really. Prey may sneak around more carefully or not at all at full moon, but fox and the like gotta eat. Lynx eat on average 2.3 pounds of meat a day, so they are out and about. Werewolves only come out at full moon, so that throws a monkey wrench in the whole thing.

I don't think moonlight has much affect on whether they move or not but I could see where maybe visual attractors like grouse wings etc. may help attract an animal due to the movement etc. during a full moon.
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Decoys on full moon nights are useful. Predators are out on the move quite a bit at night, however there does seem to be a "dead zone" time that I hit late/early mornings. I'll have to check my logs, but I don't know if I've killed very much in that 2am-4am timeframe. I believe Rick Kinmon talked about it as well in his book.

Looking back at my notes from last year. I had 95% of coyote responses (howling back) after 1pm. This year I have had heard coyotes mostly in the morning. Not sure if that means anything but kinda curious to me.