Thread: KUIU 25% off sale

Default KUIU 25% off sale

FYI, KUIU is selling all of their gear (other than their boots) at 25% between now and Sunday. Pretty smokin' deals on gear that has thus far shown itself to be pretty bomber.

http://store.kuiu.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1825

I bought a SD vest to use as a layer. Love the Super Down, wore my Hooded SD all last year.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Is this stuff all made in China?

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Is this stuff all made in China?
    Japan, I have used this stuff hard since it first became available and all of it is still good to go. That is more than I can say about any other name brand.
    Founding Member

Just purchased a set of the Chugach NX rain gear. Overall I've been very happy with all the KUIU stuff I currently own, hopefully this rain gear will be the same.

Tempted to upgrade my Chugach gear to the new NX, but I think I've got a few years left in my original set.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Tempted to upgrade my Chugach gear to the new NX, but I think I've got a few years left in my original set.
    Ya, no sense in fixing it if it's not broken. What do you think about the breathability?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Ya, no sense in fixing it if it's not broken. What do you think about the breathability?
    I have the original Chugach and it is the most breathable rain gear I have found. I hardly ever wear a soft shell jacket anymore just the Chugach over my super Down or other insulating layers. Mine is 4 years old now and still going strong.
    Founding Member

How are there sizes? i can't seem to find anything that fits in the arms or legs. I need 36/37 arm length 36 or so in length. XL is too short in the arms/legs and XXL is fat & wide everywhere else, but generally fits in the arms/legs.

tim

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have the original Chugach and it is the most breathable rain gear I have found. I hardly ever wear a soft shell jacket anymore just the Chugach over my super Down or other insulating layers. Mine is 4 years old now and still going strong.
    I keep thinking that superdown jacket is a little light in the fill at only 2.7 ounces .From what i have read you need over 5 ounces to be able to sit still for long periods. I just picked up the Chuckach nx and i'm looking for a midlayer that is going to keep me warm while inactive what has been your experience Stidd?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramcam View Post
    I keep thinking that superdown jacket is a little light in the fill at only 2.7 ounces .From what i have read you need over 5 ounces to be able to sit still for long periods. I just picked up the Chuckach nx and i'm looking for a midlayer that is going to keep me warm while inactive what has been your experience Stidd?

The hooded super down jacket used with just merino and the Chugach was not enough for long sits at or near freezing. I had to use either a primaloft vest or the Super Down Tee. When I used the Hooded SD and The SD Tee, it was plenty warm for all except when we had some 50mph plus wind. The only thing there was too much volume in the sleeves.

The SD Hooded jacket was also a great way to add warmth to my Zpack SD sleeping bag. The bag does not have a hood, so I would wear the jacket in the sleeping bag and wear the hood up.

I'm hoping the SD Hooded and the vest will be the combo I'm looking for. One thing for sure after a full season and over 40 nights using waterproof down is that I have full trust in it. As long as you did not take a swim or just stand in the rain it will not get soaked. Even damp it was still warm.

If you are looking for a heavier insulating jacket you might have a look at the First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy Jacket, very warm, and a tougher shell. Very much like the old Cabela's Trans-Alaska Series Insulator Jacket.

Just hard to beat Super Down for weight and pack-ability.

Steve
    Founding Member

Thanks for your input.There are some nice midlayers available but not many with treated down just yet.Glad to hear the treated down held up so well .I have a spindrift that would probably work well with the SD hoody..I'll have to try and find a 5 ounce filled jacket that is treated as i don't want to carry to many clothes i am trying to cut down the pack weight.The best non treated down midlayer i have found so far is the Montbell mirage but it's non treated a bit risky.Cheers

Good layering info here. Every hunt sistuation presents different needs so its good to have options along. I bought the SD non hooded today as well as a bunch of other stuff. I can't get used to a hood - so I use neck gaiters and a quality hat. Also will be interested to see how the Icon 7200 Kit checks out. I bet they sold a ton of merchandise!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramcam View Post
    Thanks for your input.There are some nice midlayers available but not many with treated down just yet.Glad to hear the treated down held up so well .I have a spindrift that would probably work well with the SD hoody..I'll have to try and find a 5 ounce filled jacket that is treated as i don't want to carry to many clothes i am trying to cut down the pack weight.The best non treated down midlayer i have found so far is the Montbell mirage but it's non treated a bit risky.Cheers
    I have the spindrift as well and have used it since it was released. IMHO, the SD jacket is warmer. I like it, but it weights twice as much.

I'm seeing more and more treated down items hitting the market, I think many of the high end retailer are have sales, to clear inventory for 2014 releases.
    Founding Member

Anyone own the Icon 7200? If you have one and been using it in the field, please share your experiences with it.

Took the plunge and got the Kuiu SD hoody and SD vest.Just hope the sizing works together.