Thread: tundra camo question

Default tundra camo question

Has anyone
    I am looking for a pattern or picture to copy to have a stock painted in a high mountain / tundra camo. Has anybody done anything close where there is more than just od green & tan. I'm looking to try an incorporate some gold or wheat color & possibly a spot of red to duplicate the tundra.
    I've done a few web searches but haven't found anything.
    Any pictures or links would be appreciated.

Kyle had done a bit of everything in this thread, you‘ll find something there.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/59790-Duracoat-Project?highlight=duracoat
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Stranger likes the Swiss alpenflage.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpenflage
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

kryptec highlander, sounds like just the ticket. i've used it on the tundra and with a bit of overcast you almost disappear. i know alaska hydrographics stocks it as one of their available patterns

Winibezold,
    I think you might be right, with the Kryptek. I'm not sure if its possible to have a stocked dipped, then spray on a spot or two of yellow & gold & I think that may be the ticket.

I like Cabella's Outfitter camo. It works as well on the tundra as it does in Southeast! Jim

Not sure exactly what you mean by high mountain / tundra camo but this is my Alaskan camo.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Doug,
    That looks nice, especially with snow on the ground. I was hoping to come up with something for the tundra in fall mostly above treeline areas, where there are the reds & yellows mixed in.

Look at the Marine Corps woodland Marpat, good alpine tundra colors....

Camo looks cool, and I've painted quite a bit of it. I wear quite a bit of it too. But really, it's mostly for us. The animals are aware of us, or not, before they ever see our rifles. Old timers who wore around checkered red and black wool coats and hats, and who had walnut/blued rifles were pretty successful in spite of their lack of discretion re: camoflage.

I think if you are hunting around the Denali Highway and that area, purplish-red and some yellow need to be integrated into your camo. For the fun of it I rubbed blueberry juice in spots on my light green camo after I noticed that my son-in-law's butt was purpled up from sitting on a berry patch. Those stains make a person blend right in.

Sayak, I agree there has never been an animal that I have harvested, or fail to harvest because of the color of my gun. This may be my first & last gun that is semi custom & having it painted regardless of the color gives it a more unique personal feel. Like you said I am hoping for the Brooks Range / Denai hwy fall tundra look, hopefully I can achieve this somewhat.

Ya know eay- I think that most any coloration that is sorta like the area that you hunt in will be just fine. The thing that you have to be aware of is that you do not want anything to reflect like a mirror flash. Remember- animals do NOT see color. They see shades of black and white but something that sparkles is an attention getter. Give some thought to a shiny rifle barrel or a flash off of the objective lens of your scope or binoculars. Camoflage that makes a pattern that breaks up your outline-should be good to go. That is the thought behind the development of the digital camouflage. It is to make you look like nothing. The military's change to Multi-Cam is for humans who do see color. Kryptek is a step beyond that as it breaks up image and color. I have seen folks on the tundra in a dark brown camouflage who "blotted" as a walking animal of some sort. Instead of me not seeing them it attracted my attention. Take a look at the different patterns from King's Camo also. Like Will says-nothing wrong with Alpenflage. I think that Cheaper-than Dirt sells East German surplus over smocks in that pattern. You can take cheap rattle cans of camo paint and get creative with your patterns on your gun and bino's etc. If you don't like it, you can be easily remove it.
    Just some thoughts.