Thread: Ice Fishing Line

Default Ice Fishing Line

Just wondering what other people are using for line while ice fishing. I am considering going to fluorocarbon this year because of its low visibility. I know some people claim that when ice fishing fish aren't leader shy, but I have my doubts. I have had lots of big fish come up to my line, look at the bait and swim off. I have always just used straight monofilament line in the past. I have also heard good things about braided power pro line. Thoughts, comments, opinions? Thanks.

I use the berkley icelines with great results.
    I still have a few rods with the old blue colored line on them as I actually preffer this line over the clear.
    I honestly feel with the blue line I can oufish most people on Rainbows and Landlocked salmon.
    I like that I can see the blue line when it gets stuck on the ice or wrapped around a flopping fish. This makes untangling and unsticking my line much easier and gets me in the water that much quicker when on a school of fish.
    I have watched fish on my underwater camera and they never seemed to shy from my line at all blue or clear.
    For pike I use black braid tip up line with homeade quickstrikes using black nylon coated sevenstrand wire and they certainly are not line shy in the least bit.
    So my opinion is that the fish I have encountered aren't really line shy at all.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

All my rods have power pro ice. My thoughts, to thin for fish to see.lol yea no leader ever.

I went to fluoro a few years ago, mostly light stuff in the 6 to 10 lb. test range. Loved it, got lots of fish, but also lost a few good ones. I did find it to be more durable than mono. I am currently trying something different. I spooled up a couple reels with Power Pro braid, one with 20 lb. and one with 15 lb., and went out today. I fished one rod with 15-16" of 8 lb. fluoro leader and another without, tying the lure directly to the main line. I got 3 fish on each rod, telling me that I'll lose that leader next time out and just fish straight Power Pro. That stuff is thin enough that a leader isn't necessary, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffpappy View Post
    I went to fluoro a few years ago, mostly light stuff in the 6 to 10 lb. test range. Loved it, got lots of fish, but also lost a few good ones. I did find it to be more durable than mono. I am currently trying something different. I spooled up a couple reels with Power Pro braid, one with 20 lb. and one with 15 lb., and went out today. I fished one rod with 15-16" of 8 lb. fluoro leader and another without, tying the lure directly to the main line. I got 3 fish on each rod, telling me that I'll lose that leader next time out and just fish straight Power Pro. That stuff is thin enough that a leader isn't necessary, in my opinion.
    Thanks for the tips. That was exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I personally have used fluorocarbon for ice fishing so I wasn't sure if it helped. Sounds like you just reassured me of what I was already assuming was true.

small fish less than 5lbs or so I use 6lb mono... I like trilene XT, anything bigger I use 20lb power pro on a 40" heavy action rod. Hoping to hook into some lakers this weekend!