Thread: Favorite jig style?

Default Favorite jig style?

I just sent an Email off to get a quote on some new jig molds I really want and had some thoughts.
    What style jigs would you like to see more options available in for Alaska saltwater fishing?
    I like the slab style vertical jigs myself. But I know the bullet heads are very very popular.
    I'm just curious in finding out what other Alaskan anglers think in regards to jig styles and designs?
    Jigs with skirts or without? More jigs that accept a grub tail like the bullet heads possibly?
    An East coast online friend of mine has good success with larger versions of the style 9 shad heads. Those would accept a grub tail and I have debated buying a mold for them.
    Of course if I were to buy them I would get all the size options from 1 oz to 16oz or possibly larger as that is just the way I am when ordering stuff like that.
    So if you could fish a new jig style not redily available up here what would it be?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Hmmmm.... So nobody has an opinion on jigs?
    I just thought maybe some Alaskan saltwater fishermen had some ideas in their head about something they may have seen somewhere or maybe an idea all their own that could be made if a guy had the mold cut.
    I know I have my own ideas and so far people seem to like the same things I do as do the fish.
    Sometimes the next big thing starts as a simple idea that turns into something that really works good.
    If you have some ideas post them here so we can discuss them.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Hmmmm.... So nobody has an opinion on jigs?.
    secret I guess??

..well, this style worked great 20-30 miles south of ketchican!...12 ounce with real squid wrapped around it!.

...Kasi--the jigs you make--do you fish them plain or do you add some "stink" or bait to help attrack the fish?..thanks larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Bullet heads are an Alaskan staple in the saltwater.
    I make those bullet heads from in 1,1.5,2,2.5,3,4,6,8,10,12,16,20,24,28,32,and 48oz. I am ordering the 40 oz mold so I have all the bases covered. and just because I can.
    As far as bait goes I often times put bait on but not always.
    I usually tip mine with Herring or Hooligan. I don't really care for squid as bait.
    Especially after watching a friend of mine pull up 9 skates in a row using squid while I was nailing the butts on a herring spin-n-glo setup right next to him.
    A lot of the jig fishermen I know do not use bait and strictly fish baitless. Some of those guys kill the bottom fish on my jigs that way.
    In fact one guy was on a friends boat and they fished without bait all day and did so well he wasn't allowed to leave without leaving the jigs behind.

btw I used to have some secret jigs but then I got talked into selling a few of them. Now they ain't so secret anymore.

I've enjoyed the slab style jigs, but this past summer I got a mold for an 8 oz bullet head after getting tired of losing 6 dollar jigs to arrowtooth. This with a grub or a squid body slammed them this year, sometimes tipped with chum or cod belly but more often not. my only gripe on bulletheads is that some have no barb or a cruddy barb which puts your plastics (the expensive part) at greater risk of getting ripped up and slid around on the shank.

In Juneau I fished up to 400 feet with 8 0z but would like to get into ten or 12's for the days when the tide or winds make me need more.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I've enjoyed the slab style jigs, but this past summer I got a mold for an 8 oz bullet head after getting tired of losing 6 dollar jigs to arrowtooth. This with a grub or a squid body slammed them this year, sometimes tipped with chum or cod belly but more often not. my only gripe on bulletheads is that some have no barb or a cruddy barb which puts your plastics (the expensive part) at greater risk of getting ripped up and slid around on the shank.

In Juneau I fished up to 400 feet with 8 0z but would like to get into ten or 12's for the days when the tide or winds make me need more.
    I am currently working on a fix for the lousy bullet head barb setup.
    It will probably cost me at least $1,000 to see it to completion though. At least the way I want to do it.
    When I get my ideas worked out and the molds cut I will make a few and post up some pics.

I don't really care for squid as bait.
    Especially after watching a friend of mine pull up 9 skates in a row using squid while I was nailing the butts on a herring spin-n-glo setup right next to him.

I hear ya kasil! in our case it was the dreaded arrowtooth!...man did they love the squid!!......this lure was OK with the small halli but it really did shine with the yellow eye!..do you have a pic of your herring spin glow set up?..thanks larry

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    do you have a pic of your herring spin glow set up?..thanks larry
    Unfortunatly no I don't have a picture.
    I tie these using 200# Ashaway Tuna cord tied with Gaignon knots on each end.The Tuna cord is blue.
    http://www.seattlemarine.net/product...idcategory=980
    It is basically the largest Spin-N-Glo they make, much larger than one would use for most Salmon.
    I have a bead on each side of the Spin-N-Glo. I use the largest stainless swivels they sell at the Gear Shed in Homer and a large circle or J hook on the other end.
    I refuse to use those crimped mono setups anymore after having several pull out on even some small fish.
    With the Gaignon twine I have never ever had a knot come out or lost a fish or gear for any reason. And I know for a fact it doesn't spook the fish for any reason.
    I buy these Spin-N-Glos at Trustworthy in Soldotna or the Gear Shed in Homer. I buy the Tuna cord at the Gear Shed as well.
    You will have the wings og the Spin-N-Glo get ripped off after a bunch of fish have hit the thing but you can easily replace it or continue to use it it just doesn't work quite as well. I always tip it with bait.
    If you do replace them the other parts are still reusable so no loss there.
    A pound of the line lasts a long time and unlike the mono rigs I can tie them on the boat with no need for Crimps or crimping pliers.
    One of these days I will have to put out some Youtube videos on how I make some of my stuff.
    How to tie a gaignon knot. How to make a Halibut jig. How to make a fluid bed for powder coating large halibut jigs. etc.etc.

One of these days I will have to put out some Youtube videos on how I make some of my stuff.
    How to tie a gaignon knot. How to make a Halibut jig. How to make a fluid bed for powder coating large halibut jigs. etc.etc.

sounds great!!...count me as your first subscriber!!.....your leader material must be similar to what I use in that pic!....yep, no crimping for me either!....if you ever find a pic of that spin glow setup--please post!!..but I do get the idea!......will pic up some jumbo SGs when down south this winter!! thanks kasil!! larry

Chris
    Your 16OZ jigs you sent me and I painted up worked great despite my crappy paint job. I did not put a hook on the bottom of them but instead did the assist hook on top with a skirt on it. I used a 7" skirt with two hooks and they worked great! Its kind of funny because when I tipped them with hooligan my buddy had we could not buy a bite and when we used a chunk of herring it would not make it to the bottom. Fished bare they still caught fish. I guess the halibut did not want hooligan that day. The next day they may have loved them. That's fishing! Those were great jigs!!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Chris
    Your 16OZ jigs you sent me and I painted up worked great despite my crappy paint job. I did not put a hook on the bottom of them but instead did the assist hook on top with a skirt on it. I used a 7" skirt with two hooks and they worked great! Its kind of funny because when I tipped them with hooligan my buddy had we could not buy a bite and when we used a chunk of herring it would not make it to the bottom. Fished bare they still caught fish. I guess the halibut did not want hooligan that day. The next day they may have loved them. That's fishing! Those were great jigs!!
    When you come up this year you should stop by my shop.I can show you how I do it and maybe it will help you in your painting.
    Maybe we can figure out whats wrong with your powder painting.
    From what you said last spring when you were painting them I am guessing you had possibly gotten some poisture in your paint.

Chris it was crappy powder paint in bought on ebay I have had great results with Pro-Tec powder paint. My bad as I tried to save a few bucks. I would however love to see your shop. I used to cast bullets by hand and casted over a million of them over the years. I don't know what it is but there is something about casting with lead that tripped my trigger. I knew a guy who was retired and he would lube and size them after I cast them. He would go to gun shows and sell them. I enjoyed casting them but melting down the wheel weights was a dirty smoky job. After he moved I quit because I could not stand sizing and lubing them.

Just when I think I have a favorite style, the next time out something else works better. This summer most of the times I had 3-4 rods fishing and tried to run different jigs on each rod to see what worked best. I generally prefer the metal slab jigs but there were times the lead heads would outfish them. Which is why I like to have a large variety of jigs in various weights. Loosing a few to the rocks now and again, or a 90# halibut isn't is painful that way.

On different days these jigs did the trick.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I like that top one Paul!
    What a nice looking jig.lol
    I realize every day and every area is different.
    I was thinking more along the lines of something you have tried or maybe just saw one in a picture somewhere that you might be itching to try?
    Something not readily available in Alaska that you like.
    I know I got into jig making partially because I wanted something different than what was on store shelves.
    Yeah that stuff works ok but I just wanted something unique.
    Now I have it but I am always looking for other interesting stuff to make.
    Some jig makers might be happy with making only one style bottom fish jig.
    Not me. I like having lots of choices.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

No compliments on the fish, jeesh

Dare I say that I can't really think of a jig style that will fit a niche I haven't filled. I feel like I'm better off putting in the time trying to figure out how to better use the jigs I have.

Well, if I had to say something that seemed to work well that I'd like to try more of it would be the heavy krocodile spoon/jigs. I don't know if that design would work as well in lead as it does in SS, but I'd say some 3-6 oz silver/green and silver/blue would do the trick for bottom dwellers and salmon. Some of the nicest silvers we took last year was on silver/green coyote spoon and it was catching when nothing else did. Unfortunatley I only had one on the boat.

I've never tried the Norwedian cod jigs

Don't know if they'll do anything better than our domestic jigs, but I can relate to wanting to try something new.

The jigs seem reaonably enough priced to try one out

I was thinking they'd do double duty and could be used for trolling.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    No compliments on the fish, jeesh

Dare I say that I can't really think of a jig style that will fit a niche I haven't filled. I feel like I'm better off putting in the time trying to figure out how to better use the jigs I have.

Well, if I had to say something that seemed to work well that I'd like to try more of it would be the heavy krocodile spoon/jigs. I don't know if that design would work as well in lead as it does in SS, but I'd say some 3-6 oz silver/green and silver/blue would do the trick for bottom dwellers and salmon. Some of the nicest silvers we took last year was on silver/green coyote spoon and it was catching when nothing else did. Unfortunatley I only had one on the boat.

I've never tried the Norwedian cod jigs

Don't know if they'll do anything better than our domestic jigs, but I can relate to wanting to try something new.

The jigs seem reaonably enough priced to try one out

I was thinking they'd do double duty and could be used for trolling.
    Sorry Paul but yes some very nice fish for sure.
    I have considered the cod jig. Though they are readily available in stores from commercial sources. Though not in all the sizes i would do.
    I won't buy another mold from the Austrian manufacturer of that bottom mold you have pictured.
    They are very poorly made sandcast molds and the one I did buy required quite a bit of work with my dremel to clean up and make useable.
    I do know a mold maker who already has the cad files for the cod jigs and I could easily order them from him in a CNC version.
    I'll definetly consider those molds after he gets done cuttting the latest molds I requested.
    Thanks for the suggestions.