Thread: Ruger Skeleton Stock

Default Ruger Skeleton Stock

Stock has turned gray in color. What do I need to clean it with to make it look new? It has a faded out look.

I've tried a couple things, silicone lube, car wax/polish, armor-all. Everything seems temporary. The plastic is, I believe, oxidized. You may have to sand it with 600 or finer grit paper to get under the oxidation. But others may have a better solution to the problem.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I've tried a couple things, silicone lube, car wax/polish, armor-all. Everything seems temporary. The plastic is, I believe, oxidized. You may have to sand it with 600 or finer grit paper to get under the oxidation. But others may have a better solution to the problem.
    Everything I've tried has been temporary fixes as well.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks. Anybody else have any suggestions?

Heat? If it's like the Jeep fender flares, they gray as well, in addition to the various detailing options (ArmourAll, Back to Black, Black Ice, Black Diamond, etc.) heating is supposed to work. Might be worth a check.

I haven't found anything that lasts when it comes to rejuvenating them.....except replacement with walnut.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Black krylon paint with a layer of clear coat.

Duracoat, bonds to anything, lasts very well, and looks good. Arctic Ammo stocks it here in the valley or some of the Amazon sellers will ship small orders of it to Alaska.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    I haven't found anything that lasts when it comes to rejuvenating them.....except replacement with walnut.
    Shet'syow.

That it the UGLIEST stock I've ever seen. It looks worse than the Mosin Nagant stocks, because at least THOSE are made of wood.

My B-I-L has a Ruger 338 with a Skeleton stock. He was gonna replace it, but then decided he liked it. (Beause he could grab onto it easier when he wanted to pull it out of his truck.

And, he's a pretty smart guy, too. Really, he is.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Are you talking about the the early 90's stocks which around here we call "boat paddles"?
    Attachment 75246

The only benefit I see to those stocks is that they're good "beaters" and you can pick up rifles with them fairly cheap. Mine was on a 35 Whelen. It turned my shoulder black and blue every time I shot it. I got a walnut stock from Richards Microfit, and its a pleasure to shoot now.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    The only benefit I see to those stocks is that they're good "beaters" and you can pick up rifles with them fairly cheap. Mine was on a 35 Whelen. It turned my shoulder black and blue every time I shot it. I got a walnut stock from Richards Microfit, and its a pleasure to shoot now.
    Good Move, IMO:

The butt plate is not very big, and not very soft. A sliip on pad would help. And it couldn't make it any uglier.

I seen one that was chambered for 458 Winchester. That one musta been murder to shoot. I would restock such a gun too, probably with a Hogue, because I like them.

I was amazed at their popularity such as it was. It must have appealed to some folks. Probably looked modern or something. I've no doubt that they're tuff. the one my B-I-L has gets rough treatment, and always looks the same. If I'm not too badly mistaken, It was one of the early synthetic stocks, and synthetics do have advantages.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Limbsaver toned mine down and yes I like the way it looks.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Those boat paddle 77 have a reputation for being pretty **** accurate. I had one in a 280 and that thing would shoot 140's into tiny groups all day long.

Mine was a 7 mag. and it would also shoot 140's in a small group. I got rid of it a few years ago and bought one in a mod. 70 Win. I had a extra stock for it and it has faded out or something. Was wanting to clean it up.

Krylon that sucker,,, funny story with mine I took it off my 300 win mag 10 yrs ago because it hurt like hell to shoot, then 2 yrs ago I painted it bedded it and mounted it onto my 375 Ruger, for my bear gun that cannon weighs almost 2 lbs lighter than my 300 now ha. Indestructible stocks anyhow.
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL