I decided to learn a little about fiberglassing and attempt a modification of my Scott Albany. The learning curve was very steep. The result is a little crude, but I hope it will be strong and serviceable. I used epoxy resin, a layer of 10 oz. cloth, two layers of 17 oz. cloth, and three more layers of 10 oz. cloth to finish. I covered the modification with two-part polyurethane paint.
I think the stern cut out area was almost 5 gallons by volume. If so, enclosing it would increase buoyancy by 40 pounds. The weight of resin, plywood and cloth is probably 15 pounds. So I think I may have a net gain of 25 pounds of buoyancy at the stern with an improvement in the size and location of the effective planing surface.
extended transom.jpgapplying cloth.jpg