Thread: Small Cargo Trailer Haines to Anchorage in Winter

Default Small Cargo Trailer Haines to Anchorage in Winter

The title kind of says it all. I'm taking the Bellingham-Haines ferry in the dead of winter (very end of January), from where I will be driving to Anchorage. Ideally I would like to take a small (5x8) cargo trailer behind the pickup truck. However I have little experience driving on snow and ice.

Can this reasonably be done? Or is this an incredibly stupid idea. I can have my stuff shipped if I have to, I would just prefer to be able to bring a trailer up to Anchorage. But not if I have to drive the 800 miles at 5 mph...

Your coming up in the coldest time! The road for the most part is good, from Haines junction to the border is the worst part of the road. If you could ship your cargo and don't have much experience in snow and ice that would be my plan. Have your truck checked out good battery, tires, pack a sleeping bag, some hi energy food, candles, good flashlight, tools expect -50 in the Yukon and possible rain and snow mixed in Haines. Not trying to scare you just the truth I drove those roads for a living it could be the best trip ever but "PLAN FOR THE WORST" a lot of the Lodges are closed that time of the year. Watch you fuel keep your tank topped. Remember you need a Passport for Canada and if you have a Bad record ( DUI/DRUGS/FELONY) you can't go through Canada. Long guns are ok all pistols have to be shipped. Take your time drive YOUR speed. Last I would buy the "MILEPOST" it is the Bible of the Alcan a great resource. Good Luck!

We just came up that way (actually we drove through Montana up to Dawson Creek and did the entire Alcan) a couple weeks ago. We hit Haines Junction in a snow storm. Here's what I would say. Destruction Bay to the US border is ugly bad horrible with a trailer. It's ugly bad without. Add snow and it's gonna be an real adventure.There are only 3 places from Haines Junction to the border that have gas. They're open all year, but may not be open all night. Haines Junction has gas, Destruction Bay has gas (only one place), and Beaver Creek (also only one place). Prices go up as you get closer to the border. Once you cross, the closest gas is Tok, AK. Make sure you have enough gas before you pass Beaver Creek to make it to Tok. It's about 120 miles.

The road is horrible. There is no other way to put it. If your stuff is packed in that trailer, pack it well, pack it tight, and strap it down. Use a lot of blankets and soft materials. It's going to bounce. A lot. From Beaver Creek to the US border is all dirt road. They're re-working the entire stretch, about 30km. It's rough road. Prior to that, well, it's only a road because someone said it was. It's a mess. Think like this. Imagine a ribbon laying on the table. Take the two ends and push them together. That's pretty much what happens to the road. It's paved, but not smooth. Seriously, you simply cannot overstate how bad that road is.

Once you hit the border, it's more like what you would expect in the US. When we drove it was pretty much a sheet of ice, I doubt it'll get better for Jan. Studded snow tires would be useful. It's pretty straight in the US for long sections until you hit the Matanuska Valley. Short bit of about 20 miles of winding mountain roads and then your pop out into Palmer.

I won't add to the supplies above, that's covered.

If I could have afforded to ship my stuff, I would have. Heck, I'd ship it and pull an empty trailer if you really want the trailer up here. But that's me. It's doable, but it's not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHHOGG View Post
    Long guns are ok all pistols have to be shipped.
    Not all handguns need be shipped. Lots of info in other threads on this subject.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thanks a ton for all the advice! I thoughtlessly cross-posted this, so here's the continuation of the thread and replies in the relocation forum:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...24#post1344524

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    We just came up that way (actually we drove through Montana up to Dawson Creek and did the entire Alcan) a couple weeks ago. We hit Haines Junction in a snow storm. Here's what I would say. Destruction Bay to the US border is ugly bad horrible with a trailer. It's ugly bad without. Add snow and it's gonna be an real adventure.There are only 3 places from Haines Junction to the border that have gas. They're open all year, but may not be open all night. Haines Junction has gas, Destruction Bay has gas (only one place), and Beaver Creek (also only one place). Prices go up as you get closer to the border. Once you cross, the closest gas is Tok, AK. Make sure you have enough gas before you pass Beaver Creek to make it to Tok. It's about 120 miles.

The road is horrible. There is no other way to put it. If your stuff is packed in that trailer, pack it well, pack it tight, and strap it down. Use a lot of blankets and soft materials. It's going to bounce. A lot. From Beaver Creek to the US border is all dirt road. They're re-working the entire stretch, about 30km. It's rough road. Prior to that, well, it's only a road because someone said it was. It's a mess. Think like this. Imagine a ribbon laying on the table. Take the two ends and push them together. That's pretty much what happens to the road. It's paved, but not smooth. Seriously, you simply cannot overstate how bad that road is.

Once you hit the border, it's more like what you would expect in the US. When we drove it was pretty much a sheet of ice, I doubt it'll get better for Jan. Studded snow tires would be useful. It's pretty straight in the US for long sections until you hit the Matanuska Valley. Short bit of about 20 miles of winding mountain roads and then your pop out into Palmer.

I won't add to the supplies above, that's covered.

If I could have afforded to ship my stuff, I would have. Heck, I'd ship it and pull an empty trailer if you really want the trailer up here. But that's me. It's doable, but it's not easy.
    Funny thing over the winter, other then frost heaves, the road is actually pretty nice because the little stuff gets filled with snow and ice and things smooth out.

Take spare tires for the trailer (2), have tire plugs and 12 volt air. First gas in Alaska is in the Village of Northway about 42 miles in, you can pay at the pump. Tok is 89 miles in they have 3 stations Shell and Tesoro are pay at the pump, not sure about the Chevron.

Don't pass up a open place to eat or chance to top off fuel.

Have cold weather clothing.

Good luck