Thread: Wireless indoor-outdoor thermometers- any work in really cold?

Default Wireless indoor-outdoor thermometers- any work in really cold?

I've been looking for a wireless thermometer for one of my houses that gets really cold. So far, I've found one at Freddie's that works down to -40, but it gets colder than that where the house is.

Anyone know of a model that goes to at least -60?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Short answer: not really.

Long answer: There are some out there that claim to go to -50 or -60F but after a lot of wasted money, I haven't found any that are accurate. The one we currently have matches the plain glass tube ones at warmer temps, but the colder it gets the bigger the discrepancy. I've gotten to the point where if the digital one says it's -10F, I know it's really -20F. If it says -20 or colder, it's probably more like -40. We saw -46F last week confirmed by the two old school glass thermometers that were within 2 degrees of each other... the digital with the probe sitting right next to them said -32F.

I also have a handheld Kestrel that seems to be fairly accurate... sadly, being handheld, it always climbs several degrees just by being within arm's length.

If you do happen to find an ACCURATE one, please let me know!

Regards,
    Jessi

Have to use lithium battery in transmitter to get anything to work at all at real cold temp's.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

The one we have plugs in. Knew it would be a total waste to attempt anything with batteries. The probe is cabled and runs through a small hole in the wall; which is part of the reason it always reads warmer than actual ambient.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I'm sure some will dispute this (and that's fine), but in my experience -40 and -60 are the same thing...friggin cold! If -40 doesn't kill it, then -60+ probably won't either...but I could be wrong.

Yeah...... I don't have much faith in the cheap digital ones that La Cross sells. Does anybody know if there is one company that is known for higher than normal quality and accuracy regular type (mercury/glass) thermometers?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I'm sure some will dispute this (and that's fine), but in my experience -40 and -60 are the same thing...friggin cold! If -40 doesn't kill it, then -60+ probably won't either...but I could be wrong.
    I find that they feel a lot different but YMMV. I've had several outdoors weather stations in the past in Two Rivers, which tends to get cold, and they ran just fine through the winter on lithiums in the sensor. Anyway, the manufacturer may mean several different things when they provide a temperature rating. I had an Oregon Scientific one that had a pretty idiotic, fragile, hard-to-use user interface. It was rated to -40 but went much lower - the manufacturer was probably saying that they weren't willing to guarantee it'd work at those temperatures. The last one I had, which was the Ambient Weather house brand, was rated to -40 but wouldn't display anything below -39.8 - the screen would show dashes where the temperature is usually displayed.

To be honest if I were looking for another outdoor thermometer it'd be Oregon Scientific. Their gizmos are an argument for not letting hardware people do software but my experience is they do work on lithium batteries below -50.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time