Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25-06

Default 25-06

anybody using this caliber.Is this large enough for bigger game ,sheep ,caribou. deer.Is this caliber big enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor1 View Post
    anybody using this caliber.Is this large enough for bigger game ,sheep ,caribou. deer.Is this caliber big enough to get the job done.
    I've killed caribou, deer, pronghorn and a host of varmints (foxes, groundhogs, crows, etc) using a 25/06 with aplomb. There is a lot to like about a 25/06 and I would hunt moose or brown bear with mine if it was the only rifle I owned. It's not, so I don't........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I know nothing about the caliber but 3 Bears in Kenai has a Ruger 25-06 SS/synthetic Hawkeye (not the american) on sale for $448, with sales tax that's around $475 out the door! They also have the same model in 7 mag for $422...

The .25-06 is a great cartridge. With modern bullets it'll do a great job on caribou, sheep and deer and light recoil encourages good shooting and substantial practice.

I'd take the right shot at a moose with one…probably not at a griz though.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor1 View Post
    anybody using this caliber.Is this large enough for bigger game ,sheep ,caribou. deer. Is this caliber big enough to get the job done.
    I have taken all the animals you listed with a 25/06 and it performed fine. I've also taken two moose with one but both those were nice clear shots and I just hit them behind the ear at the base of the skull and they both dropped like rocks - never twitched. I don't have the cajones to inject a brown bear with one but that's just me - another story.

I am a firm believer that you must use the heavier weight bullets made by the premium bullet manufacturers to ensure clean kills on bigger game. There are also a number of hunters in the lower 48 who use this caliber for elk. I handload so this makes it a lot easier and I have to say that both my 25/06's are among the best shooting rifles I own.

You need to consider one last thing IMO. While the 25/06 will kill most any animal we have here, you should take into account what you may accidentally run into while hunting. Mr brown bear can be unpredictable and very tough to put down in a close quarter situation and I would not want to count on one of my .25 bores for that. Most of the time I've only used them when someone else I knew was along carrying something a bit larger and I was comfortable that they had my back if it came to that. A few times I took the chance myself just because I was pretty sure that there was minimal chance of a close encounter of the brown fuzzy type.

I have a 25-06 in a sako and is one of my most favorite weapons to shoot, I have taken Mule deer, elk, prong horn and black bear with it as well as a number of small game. The best round IMO is federal premium in a 117gr bt but I think it is a good bit light for moose unless you can get a good head or base head shot as noted earlier. I am not saying that you can't kill a moose with it in a good lung shot but I will say you will not have much bullet left in the process. As for brownie's well that is up to you but unless you have the time for a good head shoot while he is coming in your direction I do not believe you will stop him before its too late. Some of the draw backs to this cal is small fast bullet that will come apart fast once it hits thick hide, and after about 300yd it starts to drop like a rock and then again light bullet for wind drift.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

A good premium bullet doesn't have to be a high dollar bullet. A 120 gr Hornady Interbond or Remington Core Lockt Ultra Bond on top of a full case of H4831ssc in a 25-06 would be better fodder for fending off a big brown fuzzy than a 44 mag in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    ...better fodder for fending off a big brown fuzzy than a 44 mag in my opinion.
    Same here. Probably any handgun for that matter. That's cuzz the average guy is more likely to hit what he's aiming at with a rifle than a high recoil handgun. Paper ballistics are fun to type about, but in the hills hits count for more than theory. From what I've seen of big handguns on the range, good thing most guys will be carrying a rifle along with their pistol. Gives them a better chance of finishing the job when that big ole pistol is empty and useless.

As for the 25-06, I find a great comparison between it with 120's and a 270 with 130's. Anything the 270 can do, the 25 can do as well.

Default 25 06

Thank you for your input.I would not depend on it for taking a grizz i have a 300 ultra mag for that.

I have killed a number of critters up to the size of caribou with 115gr Nosler Partitions. All well placed shots were clean kills with exit wounds. I'd take it moose or elk hunting if it was all I had.

My advice would be to avoid the really explosive fragmenting bullets like the Hornady SSTs for big game. Any of the premium and/or bonded core bullets should be fine.

Forum member Bighorse has taken a couple of SE AK brown bears with his 25-06.

as you stated, caribou, sheep deer, even black bear will die with decent shots from a 25-06. i have one in a tikka t3 lite and its incredibly accurate and has killed plenty of whitetail deer in missouri. my coworker killed a very large caribou up near cantwell with one, and i'm sure it didn't know it was such a small bullet. use a good premium bullet and good shot placement, and they'll go down

100 tsx outta that barrel would be a killer

I have one, but I'm just now getting it up and running. So far my only complaint is the lack of .257 bullets.
    Now what ?

Steve,
    All major co's carry a large selection of .25 bullets from light to heavy, from varmint to match to large game controlled expansion for handloaders. I am not being a pain I just don't agree that there is a lack of .25 bullets. You might have to order from a supplier but that is nothing out of ordinary these days.

I guess I didn't word it clearly. Bullets in .257 are easy enough to get. What I meant was a lack of variety. I would like something in the 90-95 weight range, but there is only one 90 grainer (Sierra). Most companies go from about 60 grs up to 85-87, then make the jump to 100.

My purposes are to use it specifically for wolf and caribou at the most and I want to keep it fast and flat.
    Now what ?

I would suggest the 100gr Barnes X. It is plenty flat in the 25-06 and has taken lots of game up to elk with no problem in all the .25s and it is good for Texas heart shots on a wolf if needed. Broadside shots will be sew-able on coyotes and wolfs. Perfect for deer and caribou.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I guess I didn't word it clearly. Bullets in .257 are easy enough to get. What I meant was a lack of variety. I would like something in the 90-95 weight range, but there is only one 90 grainer (Sierra). Most companies go from about 60 grs up to 85-87, then make the jump to 100.

My purposes are to use it specifically for wolf and caribou at the most and I want to keep it fast and flat.
    Probably should have went with a 243 then. Lots and lots of bullets to pick from and will shoot flatter than a 25-06.

Those who haven't used a 25-06 might note two schools of thought here and elsewhere. Some guys lean toward the 100 grain bullets zipping fast and flat, while old school like myself will give up a few hundred fps to go with the heaviest bullets available. No argument between us actually, because both approaches obviously work and make users happy. That sezz good things about the round, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Probably should have went with a 243 then. Lots and lots of bullets to pick from and will shoot flatter than a 25-06.
    I know, .243 was my first choice. It's a left-hand Zastava Mauser that was part of what was left over from a group buy and I picked it up because there were no .243s left.

My bud ArcticYahoody has a Howa in .25-06 and I liked it when I shot it. He's also whacked wolves and a couple of wolverines with it with no fur damage. I figured that with the .30-06 action, I could swap out barrels for another caliber if I didn't like it.
    Now what ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast