Thread: Been working hard with no results... HELP please

Default Been working hard with no results... HELP please

Hello Ladies and Gents,
    So I have been stationed in Alaska for a total of 4 years now and still have at least three to go. I am in the Fairbanks area. I love it here and would never leave if I didn't have too. I love being outdoors mostly hunting and fishing with my son. I have most of the tools one would need to take all types of game but am always looking for the newest and best thing. I have listened to what I need to do to harvest a Lynx, Fox or Wolf and have followed advise to a T with no results. I am pretty sure that one of my biggest problems is the areas I am hunting in. I do not have a snow-machine so trapping is not really an option for me. I know that what I am going to ask for may just be crazy and is more than likely going to get no good answers but I am going to try anyways.

If someone out there could please give me a lead on a good area where I can sit and call with my buddy and my son either in the day or night with a spotlight (I have my trappers license) I would be greatly appreciative of your help. I can keep a secret so if you don't want to tell me on here just let me know and I will get you my cell number. Thank you in advance for your help.

Don't know anything about your area but if the spots your hunting aren't producing keep scouting new ones. I spend the entire off season walking my dog once a week (at least) to scout out calling spots. People don't put in that kind of work (and way more I'm sure) and then just hand over the keys.

I hunted 3 new stands last weekend because my regular spots haven't had any sign in them, all 3 new spots had a ton of sign.

Lastly, do a little reading about predator density up here and you'll soon learn that your odds of calling a wolf in parts of this state are very slim compared to many other states and Canada. Lynx have their cycles and in down years again are very sparse. I don't know anything about fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a bit of success over the past two years, and while I'm still pretty clueless compared to the guys who regularly find fur, there have been two things that I think have led to my success. First of all, call on sign. I asked for a number of seasons for advice on calling lynx, and much of it came down to that - find lynx tracks and call in that area. When I'm on lots of sign, I've actually had a pretty decent success rate at calling in lynx. When there's no sign but I call anyways, my success rate is zero. Second, I've done most of my calling on foot and have concentrated along small creeks to midsized rivers that have no human sign on them. I've taken animals close to the road and far off it, but it's mostly been along rivers and always has been where other people don't appear to have been traveling.

Again, I'm far from an expert, but that's what has worked for me thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've had a bit of success over the past two years, and while I'm still pretty clueless compared to the guys who regularly find fur, there have been two things that I think have led to my success. First of all, call on sign. I asked for a number of seasons for advice on calling lynx, and much of it came down to that - find lynx tracks and call in that area. When I'm on lots of sign, I've actually had a pretty decent success rate at calling in lynx. When there's no sign but I call anyways, my success rate is zero. Second, I've done most of my calling on foot and have concentrated along small creeks to midsized rivers that have no human sign on them. I've taken animals close to the road and far off it, but it's mostly been along rivers and always has been where other people don't appear to have been traveling.

Again, I'm far from an expert, but that's what has worked for me thus far.
    We appreciate your humility Brian, but give yourself a little credit. How many Lynx have you called and killed in the last year or two? I know I have seen at least 2 or 3 pictures of you with some nice cats. That's a lot better odds than most. I've only called in one and I wounded it because I wasn't prepared for the shot and I forgot to bring my monopod.

Post a few more times until you can receive some PMs. Literally go find random threads and post numerous times, not sure how many it takes... Once you can accept PMs I'll hit you up...

Post a few more times until you can receive some PMs. Literally go find random threads and post numerous times, not sure how many it takes... Once you can accept PMs I'll hit you up...

Don't know it double posted like that...

I feel your pain Timmy. I am at wainwright and I have called all over this area for 3 winters with zero luck. Even went calling the other day and had a pack of yotes all around me start howling and it was like I was never there they were so NOT interested so just calling sign doesn't always help if the critters have been called a lot. Hope to have sled up and running soon to get away from town more. Keep lookin for new territory! and good luck.

It's not uncommon to call a lot of blank stands up here. Persistence and simply learning where to be looking on a stand to anticipate the animal is a major key. They can sneak in silently, see or smell something that's not right and be gone without you ever knowing it. Keep at it and it'll work out. Calling fresh sign is definitely one good piece of the puzzle.

Ak_predator sounds good i will comment on some things. Thank you all for the help and will def be looking for sign more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Timmy, I'm in Fairbanks as well. What areas have you tried? I know some spots that have road access and I've seen quite a bit of big lynx tracks mixed with rabbit tracks as well as some huge wolf tracks. I called in one wolf last year there and was given a coyote that was found dead in the road(wolf kill). I think all the areas around here are hit pretty hard which means the animals are not responding to our calls. The signs are there, but they've wised up to our presence. If you've got some good snow shoes, it would be a good idea to hike a couple hundred yards off the road so the calls are coming from fresh areas. I have a bunch of lynx, fox and coyote tracks all over the place on the trails behind my cabin. PM me if you can and I'll tell you about some areas I know. I don't really have anyone to hunt with other than my dad so hunting alone is pretty intimidating having seen that big black wolf last year. Another thing, how old is your son? When I was young, my dad went 10 years without a whitetail back home because I was there making noise and moving around too much. If your son is young and can't stay perfectly still for long periods of time, you might want to get a hunting blind. Check out www.luckyshuntingblinds.com, they have some really nice snow camo blinds.

I've been out with kids before and a real easy way to conceal most of their movement is to just go to JoAnn fabrics and buy about 8 feet of white fabric. Sharpee some lines on it or spraypaint some gray lines on it to camo it a bit more and then just wrap the ends around some wooden survey stakes. Stick those two stakes in the snow in front of you and leave the fabric drape low where your gun needs to stick out. Have a nice warm, insulated seat for the child to sit on and a pack of chemical handwarmers going to keep their hands and feet warm. Sometimes it's good to have a kid sit back to back with you and your body can act as a blind on the front side. You'll also have a set of eyes looking behind you too. Local areas are definitely getting hit pretty hard, I've seen sign of callers in some of my spots I've used for over 10 years now that never used to see use. Time to switch up tactics a bit and throw the predators some things they don't see or hear.

I was telling my son about some wolf tracks that I came across the other day and he reminded me of the movie The Grey. lol At what point do wolves turn from the hunted to the hunters? A few years after I left Chignik Lake wolves attacked, killed and ate a teacher there while she was out for a jog. I have read where they jumped on a moving snowgo and attacked a guy. At what point do they not care about movement and noise, because it makes them hungry?
    Last edited by Manokotakbirder; 11-22-2013 at 08:49. Reason: spelling

I don't know the answer to when predators turn and start hunting people...but I sure wish a pack of wolves, wolverines, foxes, coyotes, or lynxes would try to get me for once when I'm out calling.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    I don't know the answer to when predators turn and start hunting people...but I sure wish a pack of wolves, wolverines, foxes, coyotes, or lynxes would try to get me for once when I'm out calling.
    No doubt! Ha! I'd gladly take a wolf or three coming my way hungry for a meal.

Yeah snowcamoman, I see a lot of sign all over the fairbanks management area too but I have run into a lot more people in just the last 3 years on the roads systems around Fairbanks. Gonna head out tomorrow and try to get away from folks a little while I wait for the new piston for my sled to come in. Also gonna change up tactics a bit, try some new calls and such. I like to set up blind like you said for the shorties as well, they can't wait to take hunter safety so they can be "ready" just like Dad. Good luck Timmy.

Keep at it Timmy, things will click soon enough and then you'll think back about the "early years". Trust me...I've put in a lot of zero seen critter days up here. Good luck and be safe out there.