Thread: tips for SC AK lake fishing

Default tips for SC AK lake fishing

Last summer I didn't do much lake fishing here in Southcentral, but I would like to do more this year, from my kayak. I didn't learn much about fishing patterns, so I'd like a few points of advice (anything you feel might be useful). I've been a lure fisherman for most of the last 5 years (MN), and so last summer I tried a few lakes with small bass lures and crappie-type lures...basically, small inline spinners and crank baits. I got a few trout and a few bites. I suppose my questions boil down to the following, more or less:

-Can one successfully catch lake fish using lures all summer?
    -If using (organic) bait, is it better to fish near the bottom, or in the shallows, or under a bobber? I guess this info. would be useful w/artificials too.
    -Do lake fish (any of the species) tend to be shallow after ice-out, and deeper as the summer progresses?
    -If using bait, what kinds of baits?
    -Do bigger fish tend to be in different areas than smaller fish?
    -If I find a fish or two, should I concentrate on that area, or are these fish rather solitary? I suppose the rules of structure probably hold true here too (90% of the fish are in 10% of the lake).
    -Are the techniques much different for targeting the differing species in lakes?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks...
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

-Can one successfully catch lake fish using lures all summer?

Yes as it gets warmer fishing deepr or in the evenings is more important

-If using (organic) bait, is it better to fish near the bottom, or in the shallows, or under a bobber? I guess this info. would be useful w/artificials too.

It all depends on the time of day, insects activity ect. If fish are eating on the surface thats where one should fish

-Do lake fish (any of the species) tend to be shallow after ice-out, and deeper as the summer progresses?

Yes, they will always be associated with structure that concentrates food ie weed beds, humps, reefs, shoals, lilly pads etc.

-If using bait, what kinds of baits?

Worms, popcorn shrimp, never did great on salmon eggs except for lakers in kenai lake. I think its a lot more fun to catch them on flies or even spinners, easier C&R that way and cheaper (you don't have to keep buying worms)

-Do bigger fish tend to be in different areas than smaller fish?

It depends on what type of fish we are talking about but in general bigger fish are bigger and assosiated with structure that holds baitfish

-If I find a fish or two, should I concentrate on that area, or are these fish rather solitary? I suppose the rules of structure probably hold true here too (90% of the fish are in 10% of the lake).

If you are catching fish why move?

-Are the techniques much different for targeting the differing species in lakes?

Absolutely, I've fished in lakes with landlocked salmon for years, because I fish dry flies and scuds I never catch them but if I throw baitfish imitations I do, it depends on what they eat...

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks...

Find the fishes food and you will find the fish.
    Hope that helps.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.