Thread: too many brownies?

Default too many brownies?

A buddy of mine is displaying interest in a bait station in the Petersville Rd Area. I have only been there a couple of times but I have seen both brown and blackbear sign. My question for you that have a site their or know somebody that does...Do the brown bears in that area cause a big problem when baiting for black bears?
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

The brown bears are there. There are black bears there also. More opportunities next year for those problem brown bears.... as baiting browns over bait is legal for the spring portion of the season.

As Wetenuf stated, Black bears are in the area along with the Browns. BUT, in the past the Browns have had a tendency to take over the site.. The best advice I can give you..is if you plan on baiting the area be prepared to put some ROUGH miles on your rig. Beat our wheeler to hell and back out there! And make sure you have plenty of spare tires..

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    More opportunities next year for those problem brown bears.... as baiting browns over bait is legal for the spring portion of the season.
    So this spring he will be able to take a brown bear over bait?

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    So this spring he will be able to take a brown bear over bait?

The information at this link should help: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...iting_regs.pdf

Looks like Unit 16 will be legal for taking brown bears at a black bear bait station as of April 14, 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The information at this link should help: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...iting_regs.pdf

Looks like Unit 16 will be legal for taking brown bears at a black bear bait station as of April 14, 2014.
    thats what I read too......funny it wasnt written in on page 5 of the regs where the list all the changes that is a BIG game changer. hopfully it helps the moose out.

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    thats what I read too......funny it wasnt written in on page 5 of the regs where the list all the changes that is a BIG game changer. hopfully it helps the moose out.
    If I recall correctly, I think this change was made after the current regs were printed so it wouldn't have made it into the 2013-14 regs. I would hope it will be included in the 2014-15 regs when they come out next year.

See page 28 of the 2013-2014 hunting regs for the list of units that allow the baiting of brown bears and the associated salvage requirements.

In that area i wouldnt worry about brownies as much as competing for the black bears with other hunters. everyone and their uncles brother has a bait station out petersville rd. Its a pretty popular place to bait

Quote Originally Posted by AKRecurveAssassin View Post
    In that area i wouldnt worry about brownies as much as competing for the black bears with other hunters. everyone and their uncles brother has a bait station out petersville rd. Its a pretty popular place to bait
    I think everyone and their uncles brother has a bait station 2 hours in any given direction from Anchorage.

Baiting of brown bears in unit 16 is only in the brown bear management area near Tyonek.... NOT all of area 16 check the map and regs closely

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f/...supplement.pdf

Welcome to the forum. Have you looked at the general hunting regs? Or the general bear baiting regs?

In addition to the general hunting regs. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ations.hunting
    Check out page 28 and the salvage requirements for hunting bears in unit 16,

Here's the bear baiting regulations http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f/...iting_regs.pdf
    Page 2 allows the baiting of browns. However, the asterisk... does NOT allow the taking of browns over bait in the later (> July 1) portion of the season).

Seems like the special permit for Tyonek allows you to take baited browns in the later portion of the season ... and lets you take brown bear cubs that are more than 1 year old.

Hope that helps. Lots of regs & its difficult to present all comprehensive info with short posts.

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    I think everyone and their uncles brother has a bait station 2 hours in any given direction from Anchorage.
    Yeah you are probably right Shimano. Too bad too, It is getting harder and harder to set up good bait station spots without being crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRecurveAssassin View Post
    Yeah you are probably right Shimano. Too bad too, It is getting harder and harder to set up good bait station spots without being crowded.
    The only + is I'm a lot further in than most guys and have enough leave built up (god willing) to sit on the site for a LONG time (if needed). The other benefit to having lots of leave is keeping the barrels full 24/7. Where as the weekend warriors are scrambling. Its nice to be IN your tree stand at 530 on a Friday and here everyone else screamin up the road just to get bait out

As of April 15 it is legal to hunt brown bears at a bait station in GMU 15 where I hunt.
    I needed to buy a $25.00 tag first. Then go to my local F&G office and register the tag.
    After this you will be legal for the browns.