Thread: Savage model 25?

Default Savage model 25?

I picked one up at a gun show a while back and it felt right when I shouldered but when I looked at the $550 price tag I put it back on the table. I bought one for 'bout half that much this week, then I went forum hopping and read about all the problems folk were having with the Hornets both 17 and 22 in this model but not a peep about the 223.

Anybody have one? What's known pro and con about the 25 Savage in 223?

Me thinks you have the ONLY one EKC!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Hey Smokster! so I do have a friend ! Ha!

It is suppose to be here today and since we got some white stuff over night I may take it for a romp tomorrow morning.

I ain't having much luck catching that big coyote either. I sat where I could watch his den from a half mile with 10x50's and he is a beeg one. I'm bettin that him's pappy is a farm dog. Those are the worst kind!

His den is right on the property line and my side is dense timber the other side is open pasture which I have no permission to be on so that means getting him from the timber side.......and I'm old!

I plan to make this Savage my truck gun(I keep giving my truck gun to one kid or another so they got something to use) so I didn't want a whole lot invested. I went to Wally World and bought the cheapest scope money can buy. A Tasco 3x9x40 for $30 so iffen someone steals it outa my truck like has been known to happen in these parts then the joke will sorta be on them!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Hey Smokster! so I do have a friend ! Ha!

It is suppose to be here today and since we got some white stuff over night I may take it for a romp tomorrow morning.

I ain't having much luck catching that big coyote either. I sat where I could watch his den from a half mile with 10x50's and he is a beeg one. I'm bettin that him's pappy is a farm dog. Those are the worst kind!

His den is right on the property line and my side is dense timber the other side is open pasture which I have no permission to be on so that means getting him from the timber side.......and I'm old!

I plan to make this Savage my truck gun(I keep giving my truck gun to one kid or another so they got something to use) so I didn't want a whole lot invested. I went to Wally World and bought the cheapest scope money can buy. A Tasco 3x9x40 for $30 so iffen someone steals it outa my truck like has been known to happen in these parts then the joke will sorta be on them!
    You gotta lotta friends, EKC:

What does a Coyotee Den look like?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    You gotta lotta friends, EKC:

What does a Coyotee Den look like?

Smitty of the North
    They are lazy critters and don't like to dig a whole lot. Most often they crawl under a brush pile or find something suitable that nature left in a manner that they can put it to use. Iffen they are in a hole in the ground then its usually at a location where an old tree has tipped over and the big roots left a hole that they can fashion into a hideout. We have lots of groundhogs and sometimes a coyote will run them off and take over their den and waller it out. They do the same with fox dens. If a hole in the ground is wider than it is tall then it is probably occupied by something other than a coyote as their holes are longer up and down than they are sideways.

A short while ago I found one such hole while cutting wood so I had to investigate. I can count on one hand the number of times that I have gone wood cutting without a gun in my lifetime and this was one of those times. The hole was for sure a coyote hole as it was littered with fawn bones all around the perimeter. So I cut an 8 ft long spear out of a red elm branch and prodded the den with it to see if mr coyote was home. I got a fight going on the end of the stick and at one point in the fight I had mr coyote pinned against the back wall of the den with my primitive weapon. Well he squirted out from under my spear and hid somewhere in that hole out of reach of my spear. Once I got a full load of wood I drove my truck to a spot about 50 yards from the hole with the wind in my favor and decided to sit there in the truck and drink a pop and eat a few donuts. Every now and again I would lift my binos and have a look to see what was going on at mr coyoties house. It wasn't long and I saw movement first just a nose and then the back of a head looking the other way(where I had been while cutting wood). The head was not that of a coyote and at first from 50 yards away it looked like a skunk but I reasoned that out as a skunk messed with like that would have made a stink. Then it emerged totally and I got a bit of a chill and the hair stood up on my back as a 40 pound badger emerged from the hole. It did not look at all like a badger hole but there he stood......last time I poke a stick in a hole.

Smitty when we chase coyotes they are apt to run to safety and that means their den. In this part of the world they often live in old barns, driveway culverts etc as well as the woods!

Smitty when we chase coyotes they are apt to run to safety and that means their den. In this part of the world they often live in old barns, driveway culverts etc as well as the woods!
    Yes sir, they live all over huge cities like Phoenix and LA, right in town liveing off trash and pets and most city folks donít even know it. Snaky, smart, closer they live to people the harder they are to even set eyes on let alone kill off. Danged hard critters to trap, if you can trap yote consistently you can trap anything. I trapped for 3 years before I got good enough to get more than a couple dumb yote pups a year. Calling them in Arizona you better be set for shooting 300 yards if you want good ones, they circle out there and watch what happens to the dumb pups before they will come in. Smart critters!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

That's good, EKC:

And an interesting story.

I spose it's a good thing, you guys knockin them off, and keeping their population in check.

Smitty of the North

AD:
    Read recently, in some Mag. where a guy put up a Camera in his back yard, and it was amazing how many critters were coming around there at night. I think I got a bunch of animals coming around my place at night. I should probably put up Camera and see.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

.................................................. ....... a guy put up a Camera in his back yard, and it was amazing how many critters were coming around there at night. I think I got a bunch of animals coming around my place at night. I should probably put up Camera and see.

Smitty of the North
    I keep a couple of cameras up at my place..........got critter pics of stuff I didn't think came into "town"......now we don't let the wiener dogs out at
    night without adult supervision ..............
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Yeah, travelers:

That's what I'm talkin about.

They's out thar, and we don't even know.

I seen a ferret, or a weasel or some such run accross my back yard one early morning. Just happened to be looking, at the right time.

The Little Brown Dawgie barks at things I never see, and have no idee what IS. He's half Beagle, and Beagle size, so he's got a good nose. He kinda acts like he's afraid of the dark. I think he's apprehensive of things he knows about.

We don't leave him out all night. I get him in bout dark. That makes for a short work day for him in the wintertime.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Yeah, travelers:

That's what I'm talkin about.

They's out thar, and we don't even know.

I seen a ferret, or a weasel or some such run accross my back yard one early morning. Just happened to be looking, at the right time.

The Little Brown Dawgie barks at things I never see, and have no idee what IS. He's half Beagle, and Beagle size, so he's got a good nose. He kinda acts like he's afraid of the dark. I think he's apprehensive of things he knows about.

We don't leave him out all night. I get him in bout dark. That makes for a short work day for him in the wintertime.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    I live in town in the middle of Ioway. I find coon poo poo on my deck, half eaten cats in the back yard and 6 months ago something put a beeg whoopin on my 100+lb American Bulldog. Old Ruger could kill any coon in a blink so whatever got him was tougher than what I've seen in these parts or there were several of them. It was bad enough that I had to put the old fella down.

On the very NW corner of town about 3 blocks from my house is a very wooly 160 acre tract of land that is off limits to everyone but the songbird lovin Dr that owns it. I have had 5 coyotes in my spotting scope at the same time on that tract of land. I reckon they are the cause of old Rugers demise. We have a few mountain lions here-a-bouts but I can't see one of them coming to town as they live in the most isolated corners of this part of the world. I'm guessing that if a pack of coyotes will kill a 150lb deer then they probably have the kahoneys to take on a dog.

I'm fixen to kill em back 1 at a time. Kinda like Briar Gates in "Next of Kin".

I live in town in the middle of Ioway. I find coon poo poo on my deck, half eaten cats in the back yard and 6 months ago something put a beeg whoopin on my 100+lb American Bulldog. Old Ruger could kill any coon in a blink so whatever got him was tougher than what I've seen in these parts or there were several of them. It was bad enough that I had to put the old fella down.

On the very NW corner of town about 3 blocks from my house is a very wooly 160 acre tract of land that is off limits to everyone but the songbird lovin Dr that owns it. I have had 5 coyotes in my spotting scope at the same time on that tract of land. I reckon they are the cause of old Rugers demise. We have a few mountain lions here-a-bouts but I can't see one of them coming to town as they live in the most isolated corners of this part of the world. I'm guessing that if a pack of coyotes will kill a 150lb deer then they probably have the kahoneys to take on a dog.

I'm fixen to kill em back 1 at a time. Kinda like Briar Gates in "Next of Kin".
    Sorry to hear about ole Ruger, dang sure hate to loose a good dog. Iím sure he got his licks in too or heĎd never made it back home, American Bulls can hold their own. You bet yotes will kill a dog, had it happen many times and is the foundation for my life long inflated unlike of coyotes. We always ran Catahoula dogs, smaller close relative of Americans but just as tough and bull headed.

We learned that deep in yote country one cowdog was likley a dead dog if they got too far out of sight. Yotes are smart and surround a dog, they go for the hind quarters and as the dog turns to defend he exposes himself to the other yotes. . . They can do some real damage real quick to one dog!

Two cowdogs have a lot better odds, they are used to working together and can put up a good defense covering each others weak spots. At least good enough defense that you get time to find the fray and kill some yotes. I donít know if two pet dogs would back each other or not but ifin I was you living in yote country I think it would be a good idea to get your next buddy a buddy to help cover his back side.

Best luck in killin them back, never had any luck reducing their number (except with poison) but at least maybe youíll learn them dog/cat/calf/lamb killing suckers some respect.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Not to hijack, but a buddy and I were talking about yotes today and we were both wondering what kind of range they have, or do they even have a "home" range? I would imagine so if they have a den, but what about lone males......do they just keep wandering on, or do they actually have a home range?

Thanks.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Not to hijack, but a buddy and I were talking about yotes today and we were both wondering what kind of range they have, or do they even have a "home" range? I would imagine so if they have a den, but what about lone males......do they just keep wandering on, or do they actually have a home range?

Thanks.....
    I think that depends on location. Around here a big dominant male will run the other males off. I've seen them fight but never to the point of one killing the other. I think the fighting is over turf/breeding rights and most of it happens late January thru february during mating season.

We had one particular large blond male that hung around a 3 square mile area . We hunted him hard for two years and he always gave us the slip. One saturday after he pulled his vanishing act I decided to track him and see what he was doing. He got on a creek bottom and ran due east. I followed his tracks for 3 and 1/2 miles and he was still making long strides. The following saturday I had Jimmy our number one gunner sit on a bridge located on private property and it's property that we have permission to do our coyotie chasing. Jimmy is a 62 year old career fox and coyote hunter. Any coyote that offers Jimmy a flat out running broadside shot inside of 300 yards is a dead coyote. I would put him up against anybody. Well the chase starts to take shape when I fired a couple rounds out of my handgun down a narrow but deep ravine that was probably 100 yards long. Said coyote busted out of the far end of the ravine and made about five long bounds and was in the big ditch. My son was sitting at a high vantage spot where he could see part way down the big ditch. He got on the radio and hollered boys it's the big blonde one and he is going hard north straight up the ditch. I yelled on the radio and told Jimmy to stay put. There were numerous branches off that main ditch going east two of which wandered for miles. Jimmy yelled back I need to get north....he's going to go north. To which i replied stay put Jimmy stay put!!! Perry was already a mile north and would see him if he came that way. Since the big yote was already on the move I decided to bail out and head east. I was going to be in a field 1/2 mile east of where Jimmy was sitting. About that time I hear Jimmy say OK guys he's coming right at me down this ditch....he's going to be a dead coyote real soon. I roll my window down and listen bang, bang, bang...pause bang, bang. Then Jimmy's voice comes on the radio, still going east boys, i shot at him 3 times running right at me and twice more after he ran under the bridge and popped out the other side and I never touched him. OK my turn so I hurried the rest of the way back to the ditch and jumped out of the truck and ran up close to the ditch bank and looked west....no coyote, so I instinctively looked east and the SOB had already past my location and went around a bend in the ditch still headed east. I got on the radio and said east boys we gotta get east. Well long story short Jimmy did get the kill on that big blond coyote however it was 15 miles east and 2 miles north of where I first jumped him and it sure looked to me like he knew exactly where he was going the whole time. In all 22 shots were fired at blondy in the end Jimmy's Ruger 77 220 Swift was the winner. Mr coyote weight 68lbs(thats big for around here) and the the pads on his feet were raw from running on the crusty snow and ice. Even though the big coyote called sections 26,27 and 28 home he also new about the other side of the county as well.

Thanks for the story! We all know that wolves have a pretty large range for sure, and it would seem that Mr. Yote may claim a pretty big swath as well.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

EKC:

It's Sad to hear you lost your friend, Ruger.

Now, you're glad you treated him good.

There's bound to be,,,, some dawgies in that number, when the Saints go marchin in.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Iím not sure how big the yote range is but Grandpa told me one very late night in the chicken coop after we missed them all ďtheyíll be back around in about 10 days son.Ē His theory was they run in big loops making a circuit around their main den (like a drawing of a daisy) that takes about 10 days for them to repeat. His 10 days is pretty accurate, at least in northern Arizona. I donít know if the circuit thing is right but it does seem to be like that, multiple overlapping circuits because even though there is singing all around the pack that knew where the coop was and how to raid was back on night number 9.

So if you figure they could do 20 miles a night pretty easy on one of these loops that would mean a home range diameter of about 20 miles centering on their den with other dens of related packs within their range. At least that is the way I think it is just based on doing battle with the boogers all these years. That is big, about 30 square miles, our ranch was 34 sections and that supported 300 cattle even in dry Arizona.

Interesting thing to me is that coyotes ďsong dogsĒ here in Alaska donít sing like they do down south. Iíve often wondered if that is because singing calls wolfs to them? If that is true coyote song should be a good wolf call. There must be some reason they donít sing here.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Iím not sure how big the yote range is but Grandpa told me one very late night in the chicken coop after we missed them all ďtheyíll be back around in about 10 days son.Ē His theory was they run in big loops making a circuit around their main den (like a drawing of a daisy) that takes about 10 days for them to repeat. His 10 days is pretty accurate, at least in northern Arizona. I donít know if the circuit thing is right but it does seem to be like that, multiple overlapping circuits because even though there is singing all around the pack that knew where the coop was and how to raid was back on night number 9.

So if you figure they could do 20 miles a night pretty easy on one of these loops that would mean a home range diameter of about 20 miles centering on their den with other dens of related packs within their range. At least that is the way I think it is just based on doing battle with the boogers all these years. That is big, about 30 square miles, our ranch was 34 sections and that supported 300 cattle even in dry Arizona.

Interesting thing to me is that coyotes ďsong dogsĒ here in Alaska donít sing like they do down south. Iíve often wondered if that is because singing calls wolfs to them? If that is true coyote song should be a good wolf call. There must be some reason they donít sing here.
    Boy oh boy they like to sing in Iowa. Mid to late summer when the ***** is weaning her pups you can hear them yapping from the middle of town. But there is nothing like listening to a big ole male during breeding season when he's both singing come here honey and when he's warning the other boys to stay away. I like to drive around on friday evenings and just listen to them sos I know where to go looking come daylight. By the way contrary to popular belief coyotes do some time yipee-ki-yi(long I) like a dog if you hit em closer to the tail than the head