Thread: Installing snow studs on a Skandic wt 600 ace

Default Installing snow studs on a Skandic wt 600 ace

I am thinking about installing snow studs on the track any thoughts out there on this. I use this sled for touring and some wood hauling. Do I need to do this and will it shorten the life of the track in time. The only reason I am thinking about this was last winter I was hauling some wood and sort of got stuck on a hard pack road and ended up unloading the wood sled to get it unstuck I think if I would of had ice studs I would not have lost traction on the road. I do not use the machine enough to warrant putting them on if it will shorten the life of the track.
    Thanks for the help.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I wouldn't bother with picks on a utility machine. Look for some Kold Kutter ice screws. They work well if your paddle tips will accept them.

For your limited use you might think about installing Ice screws like they use in bike racing on ice. They are not as good as the regular studs but they do quite well. Just screw them into the lugs . They come in several sizes and Tom at Power Sports Stuff at mile 50 Parks Hwy. 892-8722 has them along with a lot of other products. Along with a lot of info if needed.

thanks guys I saw the screw on ebay and wondered about them as well.... they looked much easier to install and was about half the cost of the spikes.

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Put the studs in. Gotta make sure you have clearance in the tunnel. Won't shorten life of track. I have the same set of studs in my AC's track and it has 7500 original miles. It'll pull much better when you get into the ice'd trails.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

A friend put studs on his 2009 Ski Doo Expedition 600 TUV and took out the front coolers. It just got through doing the repair and believe me it is NOT something that one wants to do! I would look at other options rather then studs. Also, like it has already been stated 'ensure that you have room for the studs! I do not do a lot of hauling but it have not seen the need for studs on my Bearcat 570XT. Guess that I am not doing the same type of riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Put the studs in. Gotta make sure you have clearance in the tunnel. Won't shorten life of track. I have the same set of studs in my AC's track and it has 7500 original miles. It'll pull much better when you get into the ice'd trails.
    I agree with Nitro on this one. Once you ride with the studded track you will wonder what took you so long to install them. Not only are they good for accelerating but are also great for braking. Read : safety
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Thanks guys I think I am going with the screws on this and no more than I get to ride it will be easier to install. The machine has 1.5 track I believe and there is a large number of length screws out there for this app. Would I go with the 1'' or the 1.5 '' screws for the skandic track? I will only be home for a short time so the screws are cheaper and faster to install on the sled that is the main reason for my choice in this. I do have some frozen road to travel when I am hauling wood but I was looking for a little bet of an edge over the short track that is on the machine and the screws look like they fit the bill.

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Thanks guys I think I am going with the screws on this and no more than I get to ride it will be easier to install. The machine has 1.5 track I believe and there is a large number of length screws out there for this app. Would I go with the 1'' or the 1.5 '' screws for the skandic track? I will only be home for a short time so the screws are cheaper and faster to install on the sled that is the main reason for my choice in this. I do have some frozen road to travel when I am hauling wood but I was looking for a little bet of an edge over the short track that is on the machine and the screws look like they fit the bill.
    I am confused. The screws screw into the track lugs yes? They'd be short things. Studs you want roughly 1/4" longer than the lugs themselves.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Ice screws work great. I usually use 7/8" and have never had any tear-out problems. Not all tracks work well with screws. Some have narrower paddle tips and don't accept screws well. Some look like they're made for screws. Check your track before you buy screws.

I have a 2011 Skandic wt 600 ace the track is 1.5 but I will not be around the sled for a bit. I was thinking of ordering the screws to waiting when I got home. 7/8 is not bad I would think the 1'' would work as well
    Thanks

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

You would not need to order the screws ahead ,just go out to Power Sports Stuff at mile 50 parks hwy if possible take the machine with you and you can check to see what size fits best. I have them in several machines and they do make a defferance.

Fish creek sales on PW hwy also stocks ice screws.
    BK

Another + on the screws. Make sure of your clearance from your heat exchangers if you have them.

I think track screws/studs you buy at dealerships are a complete rip-off. I use 5/8" sheet metal screws. Buy them at Lowes, HD, SBS or AIH. Have freight hauled on icy Su Valley trails for 25 years with them. Are the screw heads as good as racing studs? No. Are they good enough to get the job done and do they cost way less? Yes.

I too have used hex drive sheet metal screws many times. Not these days. Kold Kutters are clearly better at the intended task.

"Recently Kold Kutter introduced the Kold Kutter Kanadian Ice Screw, as well as the Kanadian Ice Stud for automobile use."

http://www.koldkutter.com/catalog/index.php

The way they spell things, I think they're used by white supremacists. I always wondered bout you, Pid.