Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are these tracks?

Default What are these tracks?

I put up a lynx/wolverine cubby and had something come in to about 20 ft of it (I think attracted to the duck wings hanging from the branches). It didn't commit, though, and headed back the way it came. The snow was too deep to see any real specifics of the tracks, but I'm wondering if anyone can identify them based on the pattern of prints in the snow. Lynx? Wolverine?

Much thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trapping2013 (2 of 4).jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	75176

Looks like a loping wolverine.
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Not wolverine. In that deep of snow, there would be belly drag. Not any foot drags from one set to the other which suggests longer legs. I'm going with lynx. Most wolverine tracks I have seen were sort of in a crescent pattern with the 4 of them.
    Last edited by Manokotakbirder; 11-18-2013 at 21:59. Reason: add

I know...saw this once before... 4 Sasquatch.

Snow doesn't look deep enough for belly drag. I agree with Hoyt.

Really hard to tell how deep it is It is powder, so that distorts it. The lack of features leaves me to believe lynx because the fur on the feet make it sort of like a nondefineable posthole look. There is a little toe drag on the back prints. Plus the wolverine in a lope usually shows the 3 plus 1 tracks with the 1 being farther apart, and the other 3 more in a straight line. It would look classic wolverine if the left front track were ahead of the right front, hence the crescent pattern. But who knows?
    Last edited by Manokotakbirder; 11-18-2013 at 22:37. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by Manokotakbirder View Post
    Really hard to tell how deep it is It is powder, so that distorts it. The lack of features leaves me to believe lynx because the fur on the feet make it sort of like a nondefineable posthole look. There is a little toe drag on the back prints. Plus the wolverine in a lope usually shows the 3 plus 1 tracks with the 1 being farther apart, and the other 3 more in a straight line. But who knows?
    I know. I have seen plenty, and this is the pattern. Better stick to tracking birds Mano.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
    I know. I have seen plenty, and this is the pattern. Better stick to tracking birds Mano.

Ive seen a few. I looked and found these to show what I was trying to describe earlier. See the difference in the left front track? The left front and the left rear are in the same track. Not so in the pic of question. They don't add up for the 2plus2 either.

https://wolverinefoundation.org/wolv...dentification/
    Last edited by Manokotakbirder; 11-18-2013 at 22:46. Reason: add

I am not going to dispute the documentation you have which shows a very similar gait and straddle. I am just going off the many sets of tracks I have been privileged to cut both from the air while watching the wolverine make them and from the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
    I am not going to dispute the documentation you have which shows a very similar gait and straddle. I am just going off the many sets of tracks I have been privileged to cut both from the air while watching the wolverine make them and from the ground.

Who knows. Like I said, the tracks in the pic show clearly all 4 prints, like the thing was bounding straight up like a hare and coming straight down. Pogo stick style. A wolverine typical won't do that. They have sort of a sideway stroll almost like a submissive wolf will do. That is why one side of the track appear to be open (crescent shaped.)

Sure has the rhythmic gate of a wolverine, I was wondering about an injured cat too?

Manokotak, I've seen the wolverine tracks you posted most frequently. Basically huge marten tracks. I don't discount that it could be a lynx, but I have not noticed that track pattern being common for lynx in my area. Then again, I only see a couple sets of lynx tracks a year typically, so I am not an infallible authority.

Injured animals have inconsistent patterns. Nothing inconsistent about these tracks. Not consistent with cat tracks either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking wolverine. Doesn't look like cat tracks.

Not the typical wolverine pattern…but it's bearing right as well.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I agree with the wolverine choice. I can't imagine a cat moving in a way that would leave prints like that... I didn't even read the other posts, just the thread title and saw the picture and automatically thought of a wolverine. Cat tracks are more in line, almost like a swagger...

Looks like the wolverine in a bit of a half lope.

I'd go with a wolverine as well. Even an injured lynx is more deliberate and careful about foot placement and would have much smaller holes punches in the snow. That looks like a loping type animal to me.

Thanks for the input! My boys (age 8 and 6) helped me put in that small line and helped me build the cubby. They'll be really excited to hear we saw wolverine sign! Now I just need to get the bugger to commit to my set...

Dat dar is wolverine tracks. And from the sound of the way he reacted to your set, he's a smart one. Get out there and make several different types of wolverine sets and maybe you will get him. Try buckets, snares, cubbys. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    I'd go with a wolverine as well. Even an injured lynx is more deliberate and careful about foot placement and would have much smaller holes punches in the snow. That looks like a loping type animal to me.

Adult lynx tracks are pretty huge, and distorted from the powder, looks even bigger. It has an odd placement of the left front paw, but whatever it is, trap it. It is doable. I like a challenge.
    Last edited by Manokotakbirder; 11-19-2013 at 08:43. Reason: add

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast