Thread: MT. Goat Taxidermy Help

Default MT. Goat Taxidermy Help

Well after a few years of no luck i finally connected on a nice 9 yr. old Billy only thing is he took a nasty tumble and broke off one of his horns. I would really like to get a shoulder mount done, but i am not sure if anyone would be able to make a replica horn for the other side that would look realistic. If anyone has had the same problem and could recommend a taxidermist I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

I had the same problem and took it to Fur and Feathers. Now I can't tell which horn is real and which isn't.

I highly recommend mike from fur and feathers. Give him a call or you can stop by and check out some of his molds and horns he has made. It's pretty impressive. Looks like you are in Cordova so might just give him a call. Tekla

My wife and I took a couple goats this year and hers had a broken horn, albeit not from a fall but from a bullet. I took it to Mike at Fur and Feather and he said he sees his fair share of broken goat horns. He said it's not a problem to fix them as it's pretty common from falls.

Yep Mike does excellent work. Check out his goat rugs, I look at mine every day

Dave at Lone wolf Tqaxidermy also does excellent work. He sent me some before and after pictures via email of a goat he got in and you would not believe its the same goat.

Default Mt goat horn

Here is a 9' Billy goat I did last year that took a nasty fall. pretty dirty and stained even after tanning..nothing broken on this one but the face was pretty cut up, etc. Replacement horns can be purchased thru suppliers, or one can be molded and casted off the other side, the issue faced with molding and casting it is the curve of the horns itself, the right horn wont fit on the left, visa versa.. Goat horns curve out, back and then in at the tips..2 left horns would look gooffy. IMO would be best to either find another replacement horn, or purchase a replica set.. replica set would be the cheaper option (100 bucks) unless you have a friend or know someone with a set of 9" billy horns laying around..

299206_10151356149906586_823936353_n.jpg

Same hide washed, bleached, washed and conditioned again and finished.

488210_10151369484861586_1343474646_n.jpg
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

here is a 9.25" set of reproduction horns of a billy that a supply company sells for 95.00

PRO-MTG9.jpg

Hoytguy
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Thanks for all the help I am definately going to look into getting the replica set.