Thread: Backpack for girls going off to college - Maxpedition Gearslinger?

Default Backpack for girls going off to college - Maxpedition Gearslinger?

Folks,

I need to order backpacks for two young ladies going off to college. Both are 6 footers. I'm thinking a top of the line Maxpedition Gearslinger might be something that will last them a lifetime - so I want to carefully select. The Gearslingers have the one shoulder strap and can be moved around to the front for easy access. The only thing I can think of for sure is that it should be laptop compatible. Their are several models to choose from and I would most sincerely appreciate any suggestions.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...-Series-c2.htm

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon77 View Post
    Folks,

I need to order backpacks for two young ladies going off to college. Both are 6 footers. I'm thinking a top of the line Maxpedition Gearslinger might be something that will last them a lifetime - so I want to carefully select. The Gearslingers have the one shoulder strap and can be moved around to the front for easy access. The only thing I can think of for sure is that it should be laptop compatible. Their are several models to choose from and I would most sincerely appreciate any suggestions.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...-Series-c2.htm
    They are good, but not great. The ones I've demo'd have not been "last a lifetime" quality, but they probably would make it four years. For orthopedic reasons, I don't use or give my kids "sling bags", but some people swear by them. I use the Falcon for ferrying ammunition and range supplies in competition, and this last one has lasted three years and still seems in decent shape, one seam bulging a little. I think the Kodiak or maybe the Sitka Gearslingers are a similar size.

If you want last a lifetime quality and a perfect fit, you'll probably have to step up to Mystery Ranch. They make laptop sleeves that fit inside. They are not really book bags, though, if that's the intended use. They do, however, last a lifetime of abuse. One really nice thing is that they truly fit the torso, being the only ones that do, it seems these days.

You might also check out some of Camelbak's military gear, several of which are quite laptop friendly. I tested the Urban Transport, and found it a bit better on the stitching for the straps than the Maxpedition.