Thread: freighter canoe id

Default freighter canoe id

Picked this up in MN. Guy said he bought it from a duck guide on Lake Winnipegosis, Manitoba. No markings of any sort. It has a Y transom and a skeg that I have not seen on freighters . Any ideas?

couple more

the only thing I can say is there is a lot of work over the winter , hope you did not pay much for it SIID

Well I didnt steal it, but thought it a fair price.

Big canoe for sure....is it structurally damaged at mid ships. Seems like wood stripes are broken and epoxy patched. How do you plan to fix that?

Great project and if you do it right, could be a nice ride. Right now it looks like a Leveright canoe. Good luck! Share photos please.

Looks like it will fix up nice. No suprises for sure. Should be fun running out in Lake Michigan come summer
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

if you took some measurements of the canoe with a tape measure, we'd have a better idea of what it is. It look to be around 17.5-19 ft long, and about 38-45 inches wide. I'd take a wild guess that it's a chestnut model 110/v-stern or a chestnut model 125 v-stern.

Its 20 ft X 58'' beam . It has no glass on it. It was covered in canvas but I removed it for the pull home. I also added pine boards and plywood for stability. The inwale and outwale are cracked on both sides and give the shape a not fair curve. the ribs are good except for two the need some attention. Transom is shot. Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming. Bob

it's original beam was spread by means of those added seats. It may be the chestnut traffic model as a wild guess. it was a 20 ft. model that was avail with a v-stern.

Well i found a pic of the traffic vee stern model and it has some similarities.

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

thanks guys , Ive posted a similar question over at wcha . thanks amigo will for the link