Thread: Any Luck @ Eklutna Tailrace?

Default Any Luck @ Eklutna Tailrace?

About a week ago I saw a king roll where the tailrace dumps into the Knik. Anyone have a luck here as of yet?

No one huh?

I saw four roll and hooked one, but lost him in the fight. The ones I saw roll were no where near chrome. They had a good redish silver color to them. Looks like they have been in there for almost a week now.

The kings are already in at the tailrace? I'll have to head down there sometime this week. Never been there before; is it close enough to be affected by tides? I take it it's like Montana in that you have to find the hole?

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    No one huh?

I saw four roll and hooked one, but lost him in the fight. The ones I saw roll were no where near chrome. They had a good redish silver color to them. Looks like they have been in there for almost a week now.

Nice to know something is at least making their presence known. That is one spot I know how to find

Default Yup

The Tailrace is affected by tides and the best time to fish is the incoming unless you are an achieved kenai flosser; then it doesn't matter what the tide is.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I am heading back up to the tailrace tomorrow with hopes of a king and possibily a blackie. Be careful there are black bear and a huge grizz patrolling the area.

wow the tailrace is low must be a very late spring up on the eklutna glacier cause it was more clear then I've ever seen it.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The Knik river is almost non existant until you are about 3 miles downstream from the tailrace parking lot. Knik just started to poor over the traditional river bed a few miles upriver, and it's just a trickle. So far this year the Knik glacier and lack of snow melt off is effecting the river more than anything this year.

I do not ever recall Knik & Jim Creek every being so low on water.

Let us know how the fish are, and the blackies too. Might have to bring the rifle along when I head up on Friday.

Jon

When the Knik is low, you can fish the tides at the slough located about two hundred yards above the railroad bridge, on the far south channel of the Knik. The fish hold up there, and wait for conditions to improve before going on up. Good Dollie fishing right at the bridge abuttments as well. Reds, Kings, Silvers and Dollies all use the slough.

I stopped in 2 days ago and talked to some folks who had been fishing for over 5 hours. Not a fish... No bumps, no rolls, no nothing. I hung around for about 40 minutes and didn't see anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    When the Knik is low, you can fish the tides at the slough located about two hundred yards above the railroad bridge, on the far south channel of the Knik. The fish hold up there, and wait for conditions to improve before going on up. Good Dollie fishing right at the bridge abuttments as well. Reds, Kings, Silvers and Dollies all use the slough.
    In the Knik River drainage, only those waters within a 1/2 mile radius of the Eklutna Tailrace confluence are open to fishing for king salmon. I don't know if that slough is within a 1/2 mile radius of the Tailrace.

Is this a spot to only hit with the tides or is it still ok 2-3 hours after high?

Thanks,

Jon

Out of all the years I have been fishing this drainage I have never seen the tide effect the water levels by more than a foot at the lower stretches of the river. And by the lower stretch I mean within a mile or two from the Glen Highway bridge. Of course there will be fish heading up river on the incoming, but there are fish already in the river from previous tides. So, basically, I wouldn't plan a trip around the tide.

Awesome,
    Thanks guys. Thinkin' I'll head up there tomorrow morning and give it a shot.

Jon

In the tide tables it says that the tide doesn't go past eklutna except on 16+ foot tides
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Spent 3 hours fishing there this afternoon, saw nothing and caught nothing. There were about 25-30 other folks fishing while I was there, and saw nobody land a thing. I don't think the Kings are in yet.

Unhappy King...less...

Was down there this morning for a little over an hour. About 20 other people fishing. NO fish. Didn't see anything roll, nothing caught, nothing...where are all the kings?

~Jon