Thread: Lay Z Boy Critter Calling?

Default Lay Z Boy Critter Calling?

How many of you guys out calling simply throw the FoxPro out on the hood and sit back in the truck? I saw two different trucks doing this this weekend.....I gotta wonder how successful this strategy is? Having to get out of the truck if something is called in and then get off the road to legally shoot is going to be tricky with a canine, I don't care how quiet you are. Teaching the critters is only good for business if you use new tactics. I'm going all in on a couple 'Nam tricks this season, probably even make up a new Fox Flute.

Considering that one morning I was doing everything on stand as "right" as I can possible imagine AND after I had been calling for 35 minutes, I had 4 yotes within 400yds of me, ALL around me, start howling as if I wasn't even worth peeing on. I gotta assume the hood hunters had taught them every sound in the Foxpro library.

Having 500 sounds to choose from from every sound maker around is always handy in a situation like that OldSchool45. I've had them hold off before like that and then fire up a sound that I knew that they hadn't heard before. BINGO!!!!!

On another note, last season I had a couple guys cruising down the highway blasting a Wildlife Tech rabbit on their speaker as they shined their floodlights up and down the road and hills scanning for eyes. Talk about strategy!!!!!! I'd really like to see how that plays out once they see eyes in an area where you cannot pull over safely and get off the road easily.

Yeah I tried a few different calls when they lit up howling, even some coyote distress and some others on the hand calls. It could have just been my absolute crappy luck too. Can't believe the guys were driving and running a caller! I bet all the critters were watching wondering how a rabbit that big could be hurt in the first place.

They're just hoping a critter looks towards the truck and they see their eyes.

I think we should be praising these guys! As some members have stressed this issue in the past, it's no where near the "prime fur" time just yet. They're just trying to help the more avid predator hunters out there by spooking these critters away from the road systems so they don't get picked off quite so easily. Then when, what is it December 1st, the first legal prime fur day, rolls around, we can get out there and hammer em with those 'Nam tactics of yours.

Any chance we could get an idea of what those might be? Hiding out in caribou carcasses 10 miles off the road while a pack of honey badgers come screaming in with their war cries? Getting close?

Don't make my agent orange kick in and cause me to lapse into 'nam mode......too late.

One old time nammy trick for northern predator warfare is to get yourself the best $256,765 set of thermal night vision that you can afford. Charge up the 19 Lithium batteries for that nice piece of equipment and then strap on your snowshoes and load up the pack for a week long hike into the nether lands. Don't bring any weapons, since you can't legally hunt with NV up here. Take a topo map though and a pencil to start making your very own "prime fur map". How do you do this you ask??? Walk through the woods and very carefully look for the heat signatures of critters. When you see Charlie....I mean the predators, take a look at them and see how much heat they're giving off. If they're dumping lots of heat, that means they have lousy fur and you don't want them. Those animals obviously did not get the memo that December 1st was the day to put on their prime fur. Mark the inferior animals with an unhappy face What you're looking for in a heat signature is two pair or heated eyes looking at you. When you find the two eyed heaters, mark your map with a face.
    Let the big heat losers hang out by the road for the amateurs to harvest with the drive-by methods. You might have to let 90 to 93% of the critters go in order to harvest the best of the best furred up critters, but it's surely nice to tell people that you only harvest the cream of the crop.

Once you have your prime fur map completed, you can give the animals a few days to calm down from being studied. Go back into those areas with your rabbit flute and call them in.

This is just one tiny trick for getting the El' Primo fur. Don't let a fur buyer beat you down on prices with this method...ask them if they do a thermal analysis on the fur...HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

If you need help making up a map, I can provide assistance and the Cracker Jack decoding ring for manipulating fur densities.

If the thermals don't work I like to pull a six foot stuffed rabbit made from the skins of the last 10 years of rabbit hunting behind my sled in order to lure in the REALLY wary critters that hang up about 3,000 yards out.

That super big rabbit lure trick sounds like a good one. When I'm on my snow-go I run pure rabbit and grouse urine in with the gas mix instead of two stroke oil. It really leaves a stinky coating in the woods and will fool the wariest of critters. Just make sure you don't start up your machine in the garage at home or predators will be chewing through the walls to get in.

Default Lay Z Boy Critter Calling?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool45 View Post
    If the thermals don't work I like to pull a six foot stuffed rabbit made from the skins of the last 10 years of rabbit hunting behind my sled in order to lure in the REALLY wary critters that hang up about 3,000 yards out.
    I take it you don't carry a Lapua for those 3000 yard shots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk