Thread: Citabria cabin heat ... lack of.

Default Citabria cabin heat ... lack of.

Normally the Citabria 7eca that I fly has excellent cabin heat. Yesterday flying back to Kenai from Seldovia was a cold one. Little or no heat coming from the outlet. The push-pull control works fine and the shutter works fine. Any ideas or suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by KasitsnaBay View Post
    Normally the Citabria 7eca that I fly has excellent cabin heat. Yesterday flying back to Kenai from Seldovia was a cold one. Little or no heat coming from the outlet. The push-pull control works fine and the shutter works fine. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Check the flex between the exhaust manifold on that side and the heater outlet at the cabin. While you're there, check all welds at that manifold, as it's very thin metal and the welds will sometimes fail. If that happens on the carb heat side, as it once did to me, engine RPMs will drop to about 1,000.

Ram air still attached? How is carb heat doing?

Carb heat was working and the air tube was still attached to the inlet at the baffle. ????

What kind of heat system are you using. Shroud over straight pipes, or a shroud around mufflers?

The baffles are gone in your exhaust. The muff or muffs won't heat up as well.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Some of the early 7ecas had straight pipes, no muffler.

After some quick troubleshooting...since this 7 eca has mufflers...I believe either the baffles are shot or the shroud is being partially blocked. I guess I'll probably pull that muffler for a look see.

If it is the internal baffles of the muffler, make sure all the pieces are gone out the tail pipe. You don't want a piece blocking off the tailpipe. Would be an immediate loss of power.

Hard to believe a baffle would make an all-or-nothing difference. Gutted mufflers make cabin heat. If the cabin heat control goes through it's range I'd check whether there was air flow into the cabin from the duct when the control is open. If I wasn't the sole operator I'd also make sure somebody didn't disconnect or block the heat to keep from cooking last summer.