Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposal 219

Default Proposal 219

Thought I'd share this interesting piece from a few weeks back.

http://peninsulaclarion.com/opinion/...ving-the-kings
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I would encourage everyone to read proposal 219 in its entirety. In my opinion, it is a very good concept given the circumstances we have faced over the last 4 or 5 years and the uncertainty changing marine conditions and marine mortality. This idea should provide us with the best chance of rebuilding our fishery and providing for the future.

We simply can't keep doing what we're doing. F&G can't seem to find any good method of acurately counting our Kings and we have way too much fishing power in our sport fishery both in demand and efficiency. All of the signs are upon us now signaling a stock that's in distress. With fewer fish returning, smaller fish than ever, shifts in age class returns and fewer females returning. What is it going to take before people realize that we have to look at some sort of change in the way we're managing this fishery or we'll wake up someday and realize it was to late.

I fish a lot for rainbows in July and I can tell you that I rarely see a spawner rolling anymore in the known spawning holes in the middle river. Until about 2007 it was a common occurance to see Kings rolling as you drifted through the spawning areas. Property owners along the middle river have been sounding the alarm for some time now that something is very wrong as they just don't see as much spawning activity as they always had.

I like to fish for Kings between Soldotna Creek and the Moose River. I usually don't do as well as downriver but I enjoy my day on the water allot more because it is less crowded and it can be good fishing at times. After reading this proposal I am willing to sacrafice fishing that stretch after July 10 if it will help the resource and give us a chance at getting our Kings back.

OK what's with the ridiculous settings in the PDF for the BOF proposal book. You can select any passage with your cursor, but then you are stuck unable to do ANYTHING with the selected text.

HELP>>>>> Anyone know how to get around the lockout for the copy/paste function?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    OK what's with the ridiculous settings in the PDF for the BOF proposal book. You can select any passage with your cursor, but then you are stuck unable to do ANYTHING with the selected text.

HELP>>>>> Anyone know how to get around the lockout for the copy/paste function?
    Looks like I can get around it with a Mac. What section do you want?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I gotta Mac. What's the secret?

Maddening that some PDFs allow you to readily select/copy/paste while others do not.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    I gotta Mac. What's the secret?

Maddening that some PDFs allow you to readily select/copy/paste while others do not.
    Pdf document settings allow the author to lock or otherwise prevent editing, printing, copying etc., as desired...

I chose 'edit', 'select all', 'copy', then pasted into a text edit document. A minor bit of formatting got askew in the index, but otherwise it's pretty good.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

The State does this to keep people from copying the PDF and changing words and then distributing it as a State document. So all their PDF's are write and copy protected. It is really frustrating.

There are pdf password recovery or unlock programs out there. There are lots of choices on cnet.com, most will cost a few bucks but work well and are worth it if you need to get data from tables without re-typing everything into excel.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

PROPOSAL 219 - 5 AAC 57.120. General provisions for seasons, bag, possession, and size limits, and methods and means for the Kenai River Drainage Area and 5 AAC 57.121. Special provisions and localized additions and exceptions to the seasons, bag, possession, and size limits, and methods and means for the Lower Section of the Kenai River Drainage Area. Close sections of the Kenai River to sport fishing for king salmon during July, as follows:
    Under the new heading ... “Seasonal King salmon restrictions on the middle Kenai River” Spawning Conservation Area 1 - July 1–July 31... Moose River upstream to Skilak Lake
    closed to fishing for king salmon.
    Spawning Conservation Area 2 - July 10–July 31...Sterling Hwy. Bridge in Soldotna upstream to Moose River closed to fishing for king salmon.
    ISSUE: In recent years we have seen a troubling pattern of near record low returns of both early and late run Kenai River Chinook salmon. We believe the declines in statewide Chinook fisheries are largely due to marine survival issues, however, we also feel that part of our Kenai River decline can be linked to inriver harvest patterns, fishing on m iddle river main stem spawning fish throughout July, insufficient spawning area protections and multiple years of overharvest of the population due to biased high sonar counts.
    253History seems pretty clear that factors such as population growth, increased use, commercialization and development make it almost impossible for us to sustain indigenous wild Chinook salmon populations. Unless we alter our behavior we will join the long list of streams dependent on hatchery produced fish. We will not be able to sustain the high density fishery that has developed on t he Kenai unless we consider a more conservationist approach of protecting production to secure future run strength stability.
    In order to provide for recovery and certainty in future Kenai River King salmon production we are proposing the establishment of two permanent spawning conservation areas that would occur in a timely fashion as fish move upriver throughout the season.
    Spawning Conservation Area 1 - July 1–July 31... Moose River upstream to Skilak Lake closed to fishing for king salmon.
    Spawning Conservation Area 2 – July 10 –July 31...Sterling Hwy. Bridge in Soldotna upstream to Moose River closed to fishing for King salmon.
    The Area 1 c losure is designed mainly to protect Early Run (ER) Chinook stocks which have seen a much steeper decline than the Late Run (LR). Funny River weir data indicates about a 70% decline since 2006 and Slikok Creek weir data shows an 80% decline since 2004 with very few females returning. We believe the main stem component of the ER may be in even more peril because they enter the fishery in May and June and are vulnerable to harvest longer than any other segment of the Kenai River King salmon population. They are also the largest fish in the ER and have been targeted throughout the years by selective harvest. Alaska Department of Fish and Gameresearch indicates that the median spawning date for ER main stem fish is around July 20. This closure would also offer some additional protection to Killey River tributary fish that enter the stream in early to mid-July.
    The Area 2 closure would protect both ER and LR fish that spawn in that area. Roughly 80% of the ER are tributary spawners and they are protected once they reach the tributary areas, however, almost all of the LR are main stem spawners and there is currently no s pawning sanctuary area afforded to them. This closure would provide an area of certainty for LR spawning production.
    We believe these types of pro-active conservation measures are both prudent and necessary as we face the future of a growing population with increased demand on our king salmon resources.
    WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF NOTHING IS DONE? Future Kenai River Chinook production may be in jeopardy because of our intense sport fishery and the high harvest potential it demands. Other factors we now face such as turbidity, habitat destruction and development also exasperate our current and future abilities towards spawning production and rearing. Management’s inability to accurately count our Kenai River king salmon, over the years, is well documented and brings into question our production models. We have changed our escapement goals four times in the last decade alone.
    WILL THE QUALITY OF THE RESOURCE HARVESTED OR PRODUCTS PRODUCED BE IMPROVED? No.
    WHO IS LIKELY TO BENEFIT? By providing more king salmon production certainty future generations will be able to count on enjoying this valuable resource as we have.
    WHO IS LIKELY TO SUFFER? Perhaps some fishermen and local property owners who are used to harvesting fish from these areas. However, many property owners have complained that they hardly see any spawners in these areas anymore and have asked that they be closed to fishing to protect the resource.
    OTHER SOLUTIONS CONSIDERED? Catch and release fishing for king salmon above the Sterling Hwy. Bridge in Soldotna July 1–July 31. Rejected it because mortality studies have indicated that, besides the level of mortality, it can disturb spawning fish and cause some fish to vacate the spawning area.
    PROPOSED BY: Kenai Area Fisherman’s Coalition (HQ-F13-095) ************************************************** ****************************

Set netters gave up the early run years ago, and for what I don't know! Now the river guides and their bunch want all the kings, and to shut down the set netters. I say great lets do it right, as long as the set netters are shut down no fishing on the river at all. No kings. No reds. No silvers. As for the Rainbows all catch and kill so we can cut down on the impact on salmon. When the kings are at a level that the set netters can fish open the river to fishing. Lets get real people the set nets are not what has caused the loss of the kings! We know and no one wants to say. It is the loss of habitat!!!!!!!!!! All houses built within one mile of any flowing water in the state must be removed. To me that would do more to help the king salmon then shutting down set netters.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MGH55 again."
    #Resist

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    . . Now the river guides and their bunch want all the kings, and to shut down the set netters. . .

Now?

Where have you been for the last 10+ years . . ? . .

. . . that's always been the game plan . . . more for the sports . . more for C&R . . less for everyone else . .

Killing kings my own way! Never with Penny and the gang. Don't just pick words use the whole thing. I am a all or nothing person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Now?

Where have you been for the last 10+ years . . ? . .

. . . that's always been the game plan . . . more for the sports . . more for C&R . . less for everyone else . .

These folks have already nearly destroyed ESSN's livelihood, but now they want to destroy it completely. This is because they have greedily poisoned their own well in pursuit of the "hawg", the tug (is the) drug, the "fishin' addiction", etc. Good grief!
    I guess misery loves company. If they can't have their big fish, no one else should either. All they can do is transfer blame to the other folks who have been doing the same thing- only to a LESSER degree- that they have for a hundred years. So greedy and shameful... and utterly unAlaskan. More Washingtonian or Oregonian, if you catch my drift.

Hook line and fly, C&R too! QUOTE=sayak;1343749]These folks have already nearly destroyed ESSN's livelihood, but now they want to destroy it completely. This is because they have greedily poisoned their own well in pursuit of the "hawg", the tug (is the) drug, the "fishin' addiction", etc. Good grief!
    I guess misery loves company. If they can't have their big fish, no one else should either. All they can do is transfer blame to the other folks who have been doing the same thing- only to a LESSER degree- that they have for a hundred years. So greedy and shameful... and utterly unAlaskan. More Washingtonian or Oregonian, if you catch my drift.[/QUOTE]

How about we all control our ADD and actually discuss proposal 219? I for one think it has a lot of merit. It seems to be a logical approach in the right direction.

No it's just smoke and mirrors! No ADD, oh look a moose! Want to ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by akcarv View Post
    How about we all control our ADD and actually discuss proposal 219? I for one think it has a lot of merit. It seems to be a logical approach in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by akcarv View Post
    Spawning Conservation Area 1 - July 1–July 31... Moose River upstream to Skilak Lake closed to fishing for king salmon.

The Area 1 closure is designed mainly to protect Early Run (ER) Chinook stocks which have seen a much steeper decline than the Late Run (LR). Funny River weir data indicates about a 70% decline since 2006 and Slikok Creek weir data shows an 80% decline since 2004 with very few females returning. We believe the main stem component of the ER may be in even more peril because they enter the fishery in May and June and are vulnerable to harvest longer than any other segment of the Kenai River King salmon population. They are also the largest fish in the ER and have been targeted throughout the years by selective harvest. Alaska Department of Fish and Game research indicates that the median spawning date for ER main stem fish is around July 20. This closure would also offer some additional protection to Killey River tributary fish that enter the stream in early to mid-July.

Spawning Conservation Area 2 – July 10 –July 31...Sterling Hwy. Bridge in Soldotna upstream to Moose River closed to fishing for King salmon.

The Area 2 closure would protect both ER and LR fish that spawn in that area. Roughly 80% of the ER are tributary spawners and they are protected once they reach the tributary areas, however, almost all of the LR are main stem spawners and there is currently no s pawning sanctuary area afforded to them. This closure would provide an area of certainty for LR spawning production.

We believe these types of pro-active conservation measures are both prudent and necessary as we face the future of a growing population with increased demand on our king salmon resources.
    The KeenEye MD

Good condensed version Doc. It kind of says it all. We can't just keep bonkin the big fish all the way to Skilak all season long and expect to turn this thing around. Unless we change our management strategy to something or conservative like this proposal suggests we will lose our "unique" King salmon resource. We will be a fishery of 12-25 pound fish like the PNW fisheries. Seems lately like we're real close to that now.

I'm all for this proposal and I'll be spreading the word.

Red face Embarrassing . . .

Quote Originally Posted by AKPacman View Post
    Good condensed version Doc. It kind of says it all. We can't just keep bonkin the big fish all the way to Skilak all season long and expect to turn this thing around. Unless we change our management strategy to something or conservative like this proposal suggests we will lose our "unique" King salmon resource. We will be a fishery of 12-25 pound fish like the PNW fisheries. Seems lately like we're real close to that now.

I'm all for this proposal and I'll be spreading the word.

I don't think that dog will hunt, Pacman . . close one area . . just create more pressure in another . . insanity.

As for a fishery of 12-25 pound fish, that's the Kasilof, isn't it?

And more than half the Kenai chinook fishery . . ?

Somebody needs to figure out that where we fish—except, of course, the set-nets . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wink.gif 
Views:	112 
Size:	630 Bytes 
ID:	75256—isn't the issue.

The issue is how many . . bonk 'em or kill/stress 'em with C&R . . there's simply too many doing it.

Rocket science . . at what price vanity?

Lolly-gagging around in a literal herd of flashy boats, waiting for a take-down, goose the engine, photo ops, playing BMOC, bragging rights . . the whole fishery is a joke . . nobody cares about the fish . . only the bucks and the carnival . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast