Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice Shelter tents?

Default Ice Shelter tents?

I was thinking of investing in a ice shelter tent but i am not sure of which brands to really look at, does anyone have any advice on which ones last the longest? or if people have certain ones they would love to brag about. Only thing is it must fit 4 people min.

I'm a fan of my Eskimo Quickfish Shelter. Durable, Comfortable, Priced well, and All Around Nice

I have an Eskimo quickfish 4 pop up shanty and it works good for 3 of us.
    Most of them are like tents in that you should always get one a size bigger than you need. especially when you are also adding chairs and a heater.
    4 people is a lot for a portable shanty but Eskimo does make a quickfish 6 that would be plenty big enough for you.
    I like Eskimo as the 2 I have are holding up fine. And they are available locally so no added shipping costs.
    You will also need a Big buddy or similar heater to keep it warm.
    I am assuming you have everything else(power auger,rods,flasher, etc.) you need.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Have the quickfish 6 and glad I went with the larger. Instead of the lit buddy go with the 25 lb tank mounted heater. The bigger tent will need the extra heat and you dont have to mess with the little bottles. Will say I do have and use both depending on whats going on. The only compaint I have heard with any of the quickfish tents is when the temps really fall, (-10 and below) be careful with the windows as the plastic gets brittle.

just used a clam 6 inst.---sweet setup-well made-holds heat better then my quickfish--heavy--big bag lots of room to put back in bag... around 350$ ......

Question

How does the quickfish handle wind? Can you stake it down sufficiently to handle the typical Mat-Su winter breeze?
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Upgraded last year from the quickfish to the fatfish with no regrets. Really roomy inside will fit four people with room but I like the extra room for activities when I fish, so it's more then sufficient for me or my family.

Here is the weak point on these eskimos, this model was a few years older- the newer ones look stronger, I re did the graumets and is still holding
    its a quikfish 3
    "f/64 and be there"

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    Here is the weak point on these eskimos, this model was a few years older- the newer ones look stronger, I re did the graumets and is still holding
    its a quikfish 3
    I have a Quickfish 4 and it failed exactly at the same spot. Pretty simple fix and though its a major failure. I really like it. Easy to set up and take down, works as advertised. Anchors pretty easily and solidly with the included screw down ice stakes. It's big and light which are its strengths but it will catch major wind if you are setting it up by yourself so its also one of its major weaknesses in high wind conditions. But it can be done.

We've had the quickfish 4. It could withstand winds fairly well back in CO. When we brought it up here we had troubles with the hinges. Somehow, the whole tent turned inside out and we couldn't get it right. When you set it up, everything was the opposite and was very strange. We took apart the hinges and couldn't fix them.

Anyone else have this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIN907 View Post
    Upgraded last year from the quickfish to the fatfish with no regrets. Really roomy inside will fit four people with room but I like the extra room for activities when I fish, so it's more then sufficient for me or my family.

That looks like a good setup. Did you get it locally? Amazon has them but won't ship to AK...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    That looks like a good setup. Did you get it locally? Amazon has them but won't ship to AK...
    No, Amazon won't ship them. But their supplier will. I was looking at them today also. Anyone have experience with the insulated fatfish tents?

http://www.reedssports.com/Category/main.taf?cat=379
    They don't give a cost of shipping, but will send a quote via email.

Get down, get deep, get snagged, fish on!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

The quick fish handles wind pretty well if it is anchored down with the screw down stakes as well as with the rope provided. However, setting up in high wind is tricky alone. I have a quick fish 6 and have had the same failure as pictured. Easy fix though. No complaints so far with it.

Found the big Fatfish on eBay for $350 shipped. Just ordered it so hopefully they will honor the free shipping...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171177529569
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The quick fish fill up fast. I have the 4 man and it is a struggle for myself and three kids. Go bigger than you normally would anticipate going. They do retain heat well and the same heater will make the larger ones warm as well.

AKmud,

Hope you don't get a call or an email from the seller saying the shipping was free for the continual united states. This happened to me once I didn't read the shipping info, but I hope it is free shipping that would be awesome. Bought both my shelters on sale early season at Sportsman's Warehouse for like $50-75 off as they were making room for fresh stock.

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIN907 View Post
    AKmud,

Hope you don't get a call or an email from the seller saying the shipping was free for the continual united states. This happened to me once I didn't read the shipping info, but I hope it is free shipping that would be awesome. Bought both my shelters on sale early season at Sportsman's Warehouse for like $50-75 off as they were making room for fresh stock.
    Yeah, I've had that happen before. This one looks different though. Their shipping page says ships for free to the "United States" with no exceptions listed. I even put in my zip code in the shipping calculator and it came up as free still.

From what I have found, that $350 for the big FatFish is a pretty good price.

Fingers crossed!
    AKmud

I have used 3 models of Eskimo shelters over the last 10 years with similar issues described in the post above. Overall good products. This year I purchase a Clam Big Foot model XL 2000.

Fatfish 949 http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations...9*79&tab=desc2

Big Foot XL2000 http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/...3-anglers.html

The Fatfish is 1lb lighter in carring weight and has 4 sq ft more of fishable floor space. However the fabric of the Big Foot is constructed of 600 denier while the Fatfish 949 is half that at 300 denier. The hub and flex poles of the Big Foot model appear to be of heavier duty construction & thicker. Both models can be found in Fairbanks Area sporting goods stores (sportsmans and frontier outtfitters).

My buddy purchased a fatfish this season so cant wait to compare notes

Very similar units..with like 1 yr warrantys.

The Fatfish 949i is comparable to the Clam Big Foot XL4000
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Is it possible to have a chimney jack sewn into one of these portable units? I'd like to use my Nuway stove in one if possible...
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I saw a chimney jack last year in a quickfish 6, so it can be done. I'm going to be doing the same thing this year with my Q.F. 6
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast