Thread: New Sonar unit install....5200 sealant removal or...

Default New Sonar unit install....5200 sealant removal or...

I'm trying to run a new transducer wire thru the cable channel in the fiberglass hull of my Zodiac RHIB. The dealer apparently sealed the fiberglass screw on hatch with 5200 or something along those lines where I should be able to access the cable channel. Anyone know how to loosen that stuff without destroying my floor? Maybe I can run some sorta snake, but the working spaces are real small. Ideas?

If it really is 5200, you need to get completely remove the hatch and throw it away. Usually the whole hatch assembllies are secured with sealant and screws. Really good builders will through bolt them. I know you are trying to get a way with only remving the cover plate.

To see if it is 5200 take a box cutter to see if you can cut through it. If you can it may be silicone and it can be undone. If you not its 5200.

Snap a pic and post it.

Sobie2

You will never know it you can't get a snake to work unless you try several times with difference snakes. Another thing you can do is use an existing wire to pull a string through.

To remove 5200 use a razor blade to cut it paper thin and use anti-bond 2015 or gasoline.

If you have an oscillating power tool like a Fein or Bosch or whatever (everyone makes them now) that should work well with a finish carpentry blade or tile grout removal blade. These tools are controllable and you won't cut your fingers off struggling to get thru it.
    I've used these tools over the years to remove all types of sealants and polyurethanes in door, window, and glass removal. Again the beauty is the controllability in keeping your fingers & hands intact and also doesn't damage surrounding areas.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will try and take a pic soon.