Thread: lots of wolves!

Default lots of wolves!

I have already found 4 moose kills past chicken on the Taylor highway in the last month, seen more Wolf tracks in the last 2 weeks than my whole life combined out there, I guess that explains the lack of moose the last few years.

If anyone gets the urge to do the drive, I bet you would have a good chance to call One in.

Where are your snares, Muzzy. Wolf kills are the top spot for setting for wolves!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Where at in that area? Have you seen any or just tracks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Saw a few different small packs when the caribou were coming through near boundry, 1 large pack is hanging out around Walker fork as Well. I have killed few Fox in the last week and everytime I see more Wolf sign than Anything else.

Beware, that area is home to some of the biggest/most successful trappers in the state. I know for sure the Walker Fork is trapped by a very capable wolf trapper. Not to mention the Taylor highway which is trapped heavily including a couple of arguably the top wolf trappers in the state. Just thought I'd point that out, before a bunch of guys load up their machines and head up the Taylor to be surprised. None of the wolf kills you've found have had snares set on them or foot tracks going into them? That area is also heavily hunted by the predator control guys, which will put the smack down on those wolves between trapping and gunning.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike84 View Post
    Beware, that area is home to some of the biggest/most successful trappers in the state. I know for sure the Walker Fork is trapped by a very capable wolf trapper. Not to mention the Taylor highway which is trapped heavily including a couple of arguably the top wolf trappers in the state. Just thought I'd point that out, before a bunch of guys load up their machines and head up the Taylor to be surprised. None of the wolf kills you've found have had snares set on them or foot tracks going into them? That area is also heavily hunted by the predator control guys, which will put the smack down on those wolves between trapping and gunning.
    Yeah, I'll bet those trappers love to see posts like this.

Just because they trap in the area does not mean they own it or its off limit.
    Last edited by 450HUNTER; 11-23-2013 at 17:44. Reason: spelling

I never said the trappers own it. Just letting people know that its not an area full of untrapped/unhunted wolves. Wolves in that area of the state are probably more persecuted than any other. That was my point, theres going to be a lot of educated, smart wolves up there and a lot of competition as well. Plus if you get on a trail (Like the walker fork) you will be on a maintained, brushed trapline. While it may not be illegal it is unethical and you would have a battle on your hands. The road is open to everyone though and I wasn't telling anyone not to go, just trying to show the otherside of the picture that this person is painting. That's all.... Good luck to anyone who goes.

thanks for the info mike, however I have lived in chicken most of my life and I happen to know that i can count on 1 hand the longtime trappers in the chicken area, none of whoom trap the general area I initially was referring to. I myself chase Fox almost everyday. The reason I posted this is because the amount of moose kills by wolf I have been seeing the last couple years , and the rapid decline of moose concerns me, even our flights throughout the year out here show almost none comparesd to even 5 years ago....so there is plenty of Wolf around to give It a Try calling.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike84 View Post
    I never said the trappers own it. Just letting people know that its not an area full of untrapped/unhunted wolves. Wolves in that area of the state are probably more persecuted than any other. That was my point, theres going to be a loteducated, smart wolves up there and a lot of competition as well. Plus if you get on a trail (Like the walker fork) you will be on a maintained, brushed trapline. While it may not be illegal it is unethical and you would have a battle on your hands. The road is open to everyone though and I wasn't telling anyone not to go, just trying to show the otherside of the picture that this person is painting. That's all.... Good luck to anyone who goes.
    Actually besides the couple full time residents, the snowmachine trek, and dog race there is very little traffic at all.

If someone wants to go up on the Taylor and give calling a shot, by all means they should. However, in my opinion there are much better areas that the wolves are not pestered as much as they are in that country. You talk about all the moose kills and large number of wolves. But do you realize how many wolves have been trapped and taken through both the private and state predator control in the area you are describing? I'm sure there are wolves around up there, I'm not doubting you, seems like there always is no matter how many you kill. Just a heads up that the wolves are trapped and hunted heavily. A lot of the trapping activity up there is airplane trappers, so your not going to see signs of them on the road. But at least two big longline wolf trappers trap the highway and one of them traps the Walker Fork. Definitely give it a whirl if someone wants to go up and try calling.

Good post Mike. Also needs to be pointed out that there aren't too many services up the Taylor highway this time of year, so if something happens, be prepared for winter conditions and possible overnighting.

Well, I feel I should comment here as a 40 year full time resident of Chicken that has trapped
    the area every year.
    Sure there are some wolves. A pack of wolves can make a lot of tracks!

As has been pointed out by Mike, the Fortymile gets hammered by aerial wolf control.
    Frankly, I can't see it as a mecca for someone wanting to call one in. I sure wouldn't
    waste my time!

Also, as Northway pointed out, there are NO SERVICES on the Taylor Hwy this time
    of year. The Taylor is CLOSED in winter. No maintenance. You are on your own.
    Last week it was -50 here.

I have no problem if someone comes out prepared wanting to try wolf hunting.
    Just keep in mind the Fortymile has some long time established traplines that should
    be respected.

Good luck !
    Dick Hammond
    Chicken, AK