Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittier Butt

Default Whittier Butt

Any one finding where the butt are or the shrimp I havent had any luck the last 2 trips out.
    Thanks

THey are few and far in between out of whittier, I lived in main bay all summer last year and caught one. Electronics are KEY
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default pm me and

i will give you a location. found a new one for now and will give up my old one, i still might use it but no big deal. was producing 80+ shrimp per 5 pot pull. better than nothing and usually a lot of big ones. just in about 5 to 8 hour soaks. each weekend it was getting better. shrimp seem to be doing good this year, atleast to me and my old numbers for this time of year.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default herring bay and smith

i fished all around little smith in various depths and pick up notta. fished lower passage and a point off herring bay as well with the same results. a buddy of mine is also showing no sign of life in his regular chicken hole further south with two trips there this year. seems as though everything is running a little late this year.

Nothing here either. My good shrimp hole was invaded by snow crabs. One pot pulled about 15.. I thought I hit the jackpot until I could see they were crabs.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gary, maybe that's not such a bad thing. Maybe someday there will also be a recreational crab fishery out there? I've already got the pots, I just need somewhere to set them!

That would be a good thing. I thought we hit red gold and to make matters wose the shrimp that was in there were eatten
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Ak Grey, cool find!

Alaska Grey,
    Did the snow crabs make it into the pot itself? They must have been pretty small to squeeze through the entrance I suppose? I've picked up a few octopus over the years but never any crabs.
    I wonder if you could use the crabs for bait on halibut?
    BK

bkmail - I typically get 8-12 crabs per 5 pot pull. They are pretty small, but you've got to figure that where there are small ones that there have to be big ones as well. F&G should do a test fishery to see if that would be feasible. There used to be sport fisheries for snow, dungeness, and king crabs out there. I'd take any of the three!

Gary - Do you think the crab ate your shrimp? I've never had that problem. The only thing I know of that has eaten my shrimp has been octopus.

Default slow start

the water temp. has been colder than normal and the baitfish are not up on the shelf yet. we caught a limit down near montague, but it should be a lot better real soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Nothing here either. My good shrimp hole was invaded by snow crabs. One pot pulled about 15.. I thought I hit the jackpot until I could see they were crabs.

THats great news! Hopefully they are coming back in numbers we saw a few in our pots last year too!

I would think they did since they (the crabs) were only ones in there with the shrimp. The water temp ranged 49 to 50 degree...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Were the head shells still intact, as they are when octopus are the culprit? Hmmm...

On some the were cut in half and other they were left whole but cleaned out only the shell remained.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Crabs

Brian,
    It's a real bummer that they don't open the crabbing up again. I can remember when we'd drop a crab pot as we headed out and picked it up on our way in from halibut fishing. I've spoke with Fish and Game about opening a season up for recreational users, but they claim the #'s are still to low to support any harvesting. Imagine a day on the water pulling shrimp and crab, plus landing some halibut/ling cod while glassing for deer/bear!
    Last year we opened up the bellies of many halibut from May through Sept. In my experience, in May-June they were feeding on small crabs, the size of your hand. Then July or so they had shrimp in thier bellies. By August-Sept most had large (12-14") herring in thier gullet.
    I am wondering if it's legal to use crabs or shrimp for bait to catch halibut? I better talk with F and G to get the skinny I suppose. All of these fish were caught on the southern end of Montague.
    BK

I'd say shrimp would be legal to use as bait, definately if they are from the north gulf coast personal use fishery (P/U stuff can be always used as bait) but even in the sport fishery because there is no size or possesion limit.

Sponsor

Default Whittier Shrimp & Butt

Find huge prawns in Passage Canal. Just east of the Billings Gacier delta in 400' water. There is a line of bouy's along that depth contour. We have been fishing hard for the Halibut. I own Whittier Boat & Tackle Rentals and my clients have been successful around Perry Island, Lone Island and the east ends of Upper/Lower Passage north of Knight Island. Last year we fished Knight Pass. alot. This spring commercial long liners fished that area and we are still waiting for the stocks to replenish.

Fished lone island this past weekend for alittle bit had to quiet due to the dolphins hanging around the boat. Only thing we caught was a no good arrow tooth.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Halibut, shrimp, bears, and deer.

There is a line of bouys on that contour because the flavor of the day is to follow another boat and do what they do. Sure, just use your radar/plotter/dvd player to steal what others have figured out for themselves.

Is there no pride among outdoorsmen anymore??? Try putting in some time and learning something the old fashioned way.

or...

Just steal some "hot spots" and post them on the internet. Next week we'll be talking about why the "hot spots" in PWS aren't good anymore.

Offshore I agree with you to a certain point. I do think some people do put the time in until they find a spot. And there are the other that have put some time in with no luck and get frustrated and decide to look for other shrimp pots. and of course there are those that will just drop the pots next to yours with out trying to find a spot. When I bought my boat many people told me For halibut fishing go out and give it a try worse case if you have no luck just look for other boats and the halibut will be there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast