Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice about Muck boots

Default Seeking advice about Muck boots

Hey guys,
    I am looking for a pair of rubber boots that I can use in the winter in my bay boat plus for some shore fishing in the winter. When I am fishing from the boat and from shore I will be standing on wet slick surfaces. Our area has a limited selection of boots and the only boots that were REALLY comfortable were Muck Chore boots. Probably the most comfortable boots I have ever put on. Bought a pair, brought them home and tested to be sure they would not mar the deck of my boat then put some water on the deck and tried the boots on that surface. The boots did not mar the deck but it was like trying to walk on greased glass. Definitely would not work for me. So, it looks like I will have to order some boots on line. What I want to know is which of the Muck boots would be best for wet and slick surfaces.

I did a lot of searching on line, thru this forum as well as other forums, and there are several boots that are highly recommended but since I can't try any of the on, I am going to try to stick with the Mucks if possible.

Thanks to anyone who offers advice.

Charlie

All muck boots are slippery when on wet metal surfaces. They are comfortable and warm and are useful in a lot of applications, just not on wet metal. Did you try bogs or lacrosse boys?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Yup. Slickernsnot on wet metal and worse on wet ice. Closet is the best place for them. My pick for winter boat shoes are the insulated boots I hacked off an old pair of neoprene chestwaders. Don't recall the brand, but they stick reasonably well and they're toasty. Cost me all of zip dollars, too.

I don't know if Herman Survivors even make these anymore...I bought them in 2004 at Walmart...but they are comfortable,warm, waterproof and provide great ankle support. I need to repair the outsides but the 1000 gram insulated inside remains uncompromised even though I used them daily on the job in winter and good plenty in the summer. If its not sub zero, a little shoe goo on the soles will remain flexible and really tame down the slippery aspect of things. I also carried a nut driver and a little container of sheet metal screws that I'd drive in the heels and soles that I had pre-drilled for when I was working outside in extreme icy conditions. Only takes about a minute to remove them when no longer needed. I liked them so much that I bought another pair that sit in the closet so I've got a back up pair if these ever wear out.

Muck makes an xtra-tuf hybrid boot with the tuffie sole, nothing better on deck. Unfortunately the pair I had didn't hold up too well overall, especially in the cold. Might last a bit better in Louisiana.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I have Mucks and LaCrosse Alpha Burley's and both are great in mud and snow, but slickernsnot too on wet decks, wet rocks etc. So I went with XtraTuff's in the insulated model but NOT steeltoes, which are great if you need em but really make your toes cold. These boots (XT's) have a sole compound that really sticks on slick or any other surface, so I can safely walk now on wet and slimy beach rocks, or on a fish-slimy deck etc. without fear of slipping or falling. In my experience, XT'S run just a bit big, but size fine with thick socks, or two pairs of lighter socks. Maybe Cabelas or Bass Pro shops down there in mudbug country have them or can get them, both are great about taking them back and sending another size. Or, try the Prospector in Fairbanks or Valdez. Better yet, plan a trip to Alaska and buy them there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    I have Mucks and LaCrosse Alpha Burley's and both are great in mud and snow, but slickernsnot too on wet decks, wet rocks etc. So I went with XtraTuff's in the insulated model but NOT steeltoes, which are great if you need em but really make your toes cold. These boots (XT's) have a sole compound that really sticks on slick or any other surface, so I can safely walk now on wet and slimy beach rocks, or on a fish-slimy deck etc. without fear of slipping or falling. In my experience, XT'S run just a bit big, but size fine with thick socks, or two pairs of lighter socks. Maybe Cabelas or Bass Pro shops down there in mudbug country have them or can get them, both are great about taking them back and sending another size. Or, try the Prospector in Fairbanks or Valdez. Better yet, plan a trip to Alaska and buy them there!!
    Cap'n Ron,
    Thanks for the advice.

Since my original post I have done a lot more research and was beginning to lean towards the XtrTuf but I am now hearing lots of complaints about the XtrTuf's since the are now manufactured in China. So, it's pretty much back to square one in my search.

With reference to your last sentence, in your reply, we usually make a trip to Alaska every other year. Of all of the places we have visited in Alaska we believe that Valdez is the prettiest. On of the reasons for looking for new boots was for our Alaskan trips.

Thanks for taking time to reply to my post.

Charlie

I have been a fan of Muck boots for over 10 years now. Best boot I ever wore. I use the chore boot with the lug sole and it is not bad slippery on my boats unless there is frost or ice on the deck. I have a pair of Muck Edgewaters that don't have the lug sole and I can't stand up in them. I use them to hunt, fish, trap, as well as every day wear in winter. Next time I need boots they will be muck also.

My wife has Muck Boots and loves them but says I have to stick with Xtra-Tuffs because Quote "Muck's aren't manly enough"

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
    Cap'n Ron,
    Thanks for the advice.

Since my original post I have done a lot more research and was beginning to lean towards the XtrTuf but I am now hearing lots of complaints about the XtrTuf's since the are now manufactured in China. So, it's pretty much back to square one in my search.

With reference to your last sentence, in your reply, we usually make a trip to Alaska every other year. Of all of the places we have visited in Alaska we believe that Valdez is the prettiest. On of the reasons for looking for new boots was for our Alaskan trips.

Thanks for taking time to reply to my post.

Charlie
    Check the dates on those reports of bad quality; I think you will find that most of them are from long enough ago so that they aren't relevant, i.e. they fixed the problem since then. A friend bought a pair last August that are holding up just fine so far. My XtraTufs are due for replacement soon. I will be buying another pair.

I love my mucks arctic pros. They've never let me down. Used em in all conditions from -54 below ice fishing to 60 above treading the swamps hunting moose to the alpine ridges of Kodiak hunting deer. Never had a problem. They make great camp footwear as well as comfy work boots in many situations. Only thing I've ever done to them was my first pair got shredded on the side of the rubber gettin on and off my sled, the grate on the runners shredded em.

Release Lake Trout

I have to agree with "vaaler" - the current Xtra-Tuffs are dependable - the result of thousands of consumer complaints about the early 'Made in China' versions. I have been wearing US-made X-T ever since they first came out years and years ago. I was very disappointed when I checked-out the initial Chinese products, and consequently I wore my last pair of US boots until they were totally worn-out. Then I heard good reports from friends and family that X-T was working the bugs out of their boots so I went ahead and bought a pair of them. I returned a couple of pairs that developed defects the last couple of fishing seasons, but the latest ones I am wearing have been A-OK since last April. IMHO - These boots perform very well on slick decks and icy sidewalks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    I love my mucks arctic pros. They've never let me down. Used em in all conditions from -54 below ice fishing to 60 above treading the swamps hunting moose to the alpine ridges of Kodiak hunting deer. Never had a problem. They make great camp footwear as well as comfy work boots in many situations. Only thing I've ever done to them was my first pair got shredded on the side of the rubber gettin on and off my sled, the grate on the runners shredded em.
    Have the same set of boots. Love em. My feet probably wouldn't survive in another boot. They are warm and traction doesn't seem to be an issue for me. They are pretty tough too and make xtratufs look like a load of plastic junk when you compare construction.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

muck arctic sports are under $70 at anchorage costco.

I like my Arctic Mucks on all points except two. If you get them wet they take a VERY long time to dry...even if you turn them most of the way inside-out. Also...they do not breathe well. Your feet will sweat and then...good luck getting the foot stink out! Haha.

With a boot dryer, neither one of those issues are a big problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I wear mucks in my bay boat and they work great. I have the Chores, but wear my Woodie Elites in the boat and they were fine on the wet deck.

Don't know what model boot, but my Mucks work fine as well on wet decks, but I'm also on a glass boat like Kodiak it.

Not mucks, but here's an FYI about Bogs. They say they're rated to minus 40. That is apparently very untrue. My feet get cold above zero.

They are also terrible on ice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast