Thread: Ketchikan roadside fishing opportunities

Default Ketchikan roadside fishing opportunities

Looking at a relocation to Ketchikan an realized that many river systems are easily accessible with a small boat or skiff. Wondered how much access is available by truck, atv or even a kayak for salmon, steelhead and trout. Boat is in the future but would wait a year or two to make sure that this the right place to be.
    Does it really rain as much as the mention 150" a year?

Not much by road or atv, but boat is a must for Ketchikan. Lot of road fishing over on POW. My wife was born in Ketch, and I did 5 years in the Coast Guard there. Yes on the rain.

Col., you can access various lakes and a river from the road system. There is Carlanna Lake, Ward Lake, Talbot Lake and Harriet Hunt Lake. Their are also a few lakes that you can access by hiking from the road too. All of them have trout. Ward Lake has a good runs of coho, pinks and steelhead. The feeder creek and outlet creek on Ward Lake is good for trout and salmon too.

A 7 mile skiff ride can get you into a good river system with numerous lakes feeding the system. You'll find this system holding a pretty good fishery for steelhead and rainbow.

And, yes it does average about 150" a year:

Climate

Ketchikan has a climate greatly modified and moderated by its maritime location, featuring an oceanic climate (Kppen Cfb) which is likened to Scotland or Northern Ireland though with much more rain. Winters are cool but far milder than its latitude alone may suggest: January has a 24-hour average of 33.6 F (0.9 C). Summers are mild, as Augusts high averages 64.4 F (18.0 C). Another feature of the areas climate is the high amount of rainfall, with an equivalent average of 153 inches (3,900 mm) per year, falling more heavily in autumn and winter. The climate is so moderated that even Tallahassee, Florida has recorded an all-time record minimum - −2 F (−19 C) in February 1899 - lower than that of Ketchikan, although Tallahassee averages around 22 F (12 C) warmer over the year.
    The record high temperature in Ketchikan was 89 F (32 C) on June 20, 1958, and August 14, 1977. The record low temperature was −1 F (−18 C) on December 15, 1964, and January 5, 1965. The wettest year was 1949 with 202.55 inches (5,145 mm) and the driest year was 1995 with 88.45 inches (2,247 mm). The most rainfall in one month was 42.69 inches (1,084 mm) during October 1974 and the most rainfall in 24 hours was 8.71 inches (221 mm) on October 11, 1977. The most snowfall in one month was 45.1 inches (115 cm) in January 1971.

You can also put you vehicle on the ferry for a 30 mile ride over to Prince of Wales Island where you can have road access to dozens of excellent rivers for trout, steelhead and salmon fishing.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 11-18-2013 at 20:05.

How was your trip with Manns Charters? Now, I will say a boat is a must in Ketch! If you don't have one you will be selling your self to ride with others Oh yea, the weather sucks. Well that's what my wife says. She does miss the shrimp In Homer I get more kings in two days then all year in Ketch, but no shrimp

Got it on the boat!! Does look like you can rent a skiff for around $100 + gas or a 20ft for $200. Once there, how are the prospects for buying one?
    Coming from Colorado where we get very little rain and maybe 6ft of snow, the weather scares me a bit.
    Any Red runs in the area, I know they have some small ones over on POW.

Fishing with Mike is always good. Tides were big during the time I was there, so changes up the game a bit. Scheduled to be in KP in mid July again but will all depend on the move.

Skiffs come up for sale quite often so you shouldn't have much of problem picking up a good deal. There is a red run near the head of the island at Yes Bay. It's not a large run but the locals to go there to dip and net them.

You can fish from shore at Settlers cove state park. Cast pixies from the rocks at high tide. At low tide go down and get the lures the other anglers snagged.

The rain is overrated in my opinion