Thread: Hoolies on the Kenai?

Default Hoolies on the Kenai?

I've been told you can dipnet for Hooligan on Kenai River. Does anyone know whereabouts? And also, have the hoolies showed up yet? Any info would be appreciated

Default Kenai Hooligan

I recall a video clip that was placed on the AK Outdoor Journal years ago about catching lots of hooligan on the Kenai. Although I think smaller catches are the normal. Anyway I will be in the area this weekend does anyone have any reports on Fresh Water Hooligan?

I believe the video was taken near Centenial Park in Soldotna but not sure. The gentlemen in the video had a 1/2 of a net full on a single scoop, but I settle for 3 gallons after an hour of work (which would serve as pike bait this coming winter).

Smile

My guess is that the photo was of Gary Barnes dipping in front of his place on the river, not far upstream from the Soldotna bridge. That was an incredible run.

Have heard nothing yet about hooligan in the Kenai, but will post if I do.

People have been picking up some hooligan all last week. Dipping has been slow but two high school boys from next door have filled three five gallon buckets in the last couple of days. They were dipping near Riverwood boat launch.

Default The good old days!

I remember netting hooligan on the Kenai with my dad in the 70's when I was 6, 7, 8, 9 years old! Fishing, dipping, etc...with dad was the only time I was allowed to drink coffee as a kid. This thread has brought back some good memories for me!