Thread: Rookie 9mm reloader quetion?

Question Rookie 9mm reloader quetion?

I have a bit of successful experience using a single stage rifle press, but I recently acquired a Dillon progressive and dove into handgun rounds. I am loading 9mm luger. My first batch, using 124 gr. HSM bullets worked great and all passed through my cartridge gauge, however I switched to 115 gr. Berry's RNFMJ flat base and I can't seem to get the bullet straight when seating!

I am using the round nose profile seating die, and am putting enough bell on the cases to hold the bullet still. I am hand feeding the bullets, which is most certainly the variable here. I am getting about 25% failure on the cartridge gauge, but after a small amount of tweaking on the seated bullet, it will pass.

What is the secret for getting the bullet seated straight, particularly these short stubby 9mm's?

Thanks

Sounds like you need to change the seating plug, Iím thinking the nose is contacting the plug. Pull the plug out and see how the bullet fits to it, should contact the ogive not the nose. If so you can try another plug or seating die or have more nose relief turned into the plug you have.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've run a few thou 9mm and never seen that. Pretty weird. Other than as mentioned above, can I ask what your OAL is? How is the round responding to the gauge? Maybe sharpie marker the bullet before seating several, inspect, and then remarker and look for witness marks from the gauge. I've only had problems with cases that were slightly long and I could see the marks on the end of the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Machine154 View Post
    I've run a few thou 9mm and never seen that. Pretty weird. Other than as mentioned above, can I ask what your OAL is? How is the round responding to the gauge? Maybe sharpie marker the bullet before seating several, inspect, and then remarker and look for witness marks from the gauge. I've only had problems with cases that were slightly long and I could see the marks on the end of the case.
    OAL is 1.164, so I am well within the range. Good idea on the sharpie, but I think ADfields has the problem identified.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Sounds like you need to change the seating plug, Iím thinking the nose is contacting the plug. Pull the plug out and see how the bullet fits to it, should contact the ogive not the nose. If so you can try another plug or seating die or have more nose relief turned into the plug you have.
    Indeed, I pulled the seating plug out and the nose is contacting the plug, there is wiggle room. I have not tried the SWC plug to see if that will make better contact on the ogive.

Thank you both for the imput.

You might also shorten up your OAL - this will help. Maybe 1.12-1.13.

Quote Originally Posted by Machine154 View Post
    You might also shorten up your OAL - this will help. Maybe 1.12-1.13.

I'm with Machine here. I run my 124gr, FMJ 9mm at 1.155 OAL or less. Latest batch I went to 1.145 to see what it would do. Which was nothing worth dealing with.

Thanks for the replies. I did not consider shortening the OAL! I will play with the seating plug and shortening things up a bit to see if that helps.

First off, I test fired the old batch and they shot fine (one failure to battery). The chrony showed +/- 100 fps. I did shorten the OAL to 1.13 and slightly increased the bell depth and found much better loading accuracy with only 1% not passing the case gauge, and that was close enough to shoot.

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.

Good to hear.