Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big handguns for Small game

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Big handguns for Small game

Has anyone ever shot a wabbit, or spruce hen with a 357 or 44 Mag.?

I bagged a wabbit with my 30-30 one time. I aimed for his head, and put a groove in it, and the wabbit was otherwise intact, until I ate it.

Another time I shot a wabbit with my 280, like in the body, and there wasn't nuthin left except a head and hind legs with a piece of skin holding them together, OOPs.

I know we can load down our 357s and 44s and not destroy the meat, BUT, what happens if you use a Full Power Load, like you might be packing for Bear protection. Is the velocity high enough, 1200 fps, that it would make a big mess?

I'm guessing that at that velocity, using Hard Cast bullets, it would just make a good sized hole. However, sometimes I guess the opposite of that theory.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Has anyone ever shot a wabbit, or spruce hen with a 357 or 44 Mag.?
    Yes. If you make anything other than a headshot….it's a mess. Those bullets go fast enough to cause hydrostatic damage.

Stepping down to a .38 Wadcutter yields a less dramatic result.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Just head shots cept for porkies who discharge all their quills at once leaving a eight foot circle of quills to pick up for the ladies to use.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Yes . . . And it’s a gruesome looking mess with full on 357 hollow or soft point, never tried hard cast. I particularly dislike the all gone but the eyes head shot deal but it does work. Body shots with 357 in the flank aria looks bad but doesn’t ruin much on a bunny or tree rat, not that I bother with the little tree rats we have up here. Ether way leaves enough eatable pot meat but end to end or even quartering is usually bloody bunny burger.

When I went to 45s and hard cast I discovered that a 44 caliber ball (44 ball =.451" and 45 Colt is .452")) over 3g Bullseye in a 45 Colt case dose a fine job on bunnies from my hand cannons. I never tried but you can order .358” balls for 38/357 and .329” balls for a 44 and I’m sure ether will work dandy over a light charge of Bullseye or Unique.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Just carry a S&W Govenor and put 2 45acps, 2 45 Colts, and 2 .410's in the cylinder and pick your favorite before pulling the trigger.

I shot an artic hare with my 41 mag once using a 225gr hard cast at 1480fps. The shot wasn't centered on the bunny so it just removed one rear quarter. I also shot one each with a 300H&H and a 223. There wasn't enough left to make a good meal for one person from the two bunnies. That's why I got the Stevens Tip up 22. With a 6" barrel and 10oz.weight you hardly know it's there. I have shot a few with cast 38spl loads without a lot of meat damage.

WELL THEN, for survival purposes, using a beeg handgun, would need head shots, or small game loads.

The trouble with having 2 different loads is they both need to shoot the sights.

Thanks ALL.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Do it all the time with an assortment of 44 mags- great field practice far, far from the range rats. Head shots only, 44 mag cases with 5.5 grains of Unique or Special cases with 5.0 grains, both with 240 grain SWCs. In 357 I used 148 grain WC's over 2.2 grains of Bullseye in 38 SP cases for a couple of decades, but pretty much got out of the habit since I haven't shot those guns much in the last couple of decades.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Do it all the time with an assortment of 44 mags- great field practice far, far from the range rats. Head shots only, 44 mag cases with 5.5 grains of Unique or Special cases with 5.0 grains, both with 240 grain SWCs. In 357 I used 148 grain WC's over 2.2 grains of Bullseye in 38 SP cases for a couple of decades, but pretty much got out of the habit since I haven't shot those guns much in the last couple of decades.
    I have some Universal.

Also some 44 Cal 240 grain SWC Bevel Base bullets from Lee Stoner.

And, some 35 Cal 158 grain SWC Bevel Base bullets from Lee Stoner.

I better cook up a load and see where they can land with current sight adjustments.

How much speed am I lookin for BB?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

PM me if you wanna know.

How much speed am I lookin for BB?
    I don't like to get much over 700 fps for small game, and slower doesn't hurt a thing when you're head shooting inside 25 yards or so. I'd do some serious rest work and find out which load your gun groups best. Had an old K-18 that would cut ragged holes with WCs over 1.1 grains of Bullseye for less than 500 fps. You could actually see them in flight when the light was right, but they were the last sight for all sorts of critters.

BB:
    I found LSWC loads in the Hodgdon manual, the one that is the shape and size of a magazine, for Universal for both 38, 357, and 44 Mag.

The low end, loads were a bit over 700 fps.

Is it OK to load lighter than that, (With a cast bullet, no jackets to stick in the barrel) or do they start where they do because that's where accuracy starts with that bullet, and powder?

I'm assuming/hoping I can reduce the charge and velocites, from the low end/starting load.

If not, I can use the loads in the manual.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I've got some 120gr 38/357 cast you can have. Should be able to load them pretty light for really light recoil and meat damage.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I've got some 120gr 38/357 cast you can have. Should be able to load them pretty light for really light recoil and meat damage.
    Thanks, let me work with my 158s first.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Is it OK to load lighter than that, (With a cast bullet, no jackets to stick in the barrel) or do they start where they do because that's where accuracy starts with that bullet, and powder?
    It's certainly okay with Bullseye and Unique, but I'm guessing in saying the same for Universal. Just haven't tried it, but in my hands with my guns I'd be headed that way. I suspect the reason for min loads in books is the "psychology" of the shooting world. Most guys don't want to go lighter than something around "factory" and mostly spend their time looking at the max load side of the charts. Component companies therefore spend their money and effort trying to keep guys from blowing up their guns and hiring lawyers, rather than wandering down the scale. Check the Lyman cast bullet manuals for a bigger array of light loads, as well as a whole bunch of powder choices for light shooting.

I use 4.2 gr. of Trail Boss under 158 lead heads in .357mag cases. Std primers.

I get about 750fps. 4" barrel.........

good and accurate too........
    "The older I get, the better I was."

OK, Thanks BB:

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks travelers:
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Okie Doke'em, Gennelmen:

Here's what I did. I loaded some loads, with the 38 cal. SWC BB cast bullets and 3 grains of Universal.

I used 38 Special cases because all my 357 brass was either loaded. or prepped and Primed with Small Pistol Magnum Primers.

They shot alright, but a bit HIGH for my currant sight adjustments, AND I NOTICED, Some unburned powder flakes lelft in the case, and in my gun.

This is UNACCEPTABLE, I must use more powder, I THINK that is the answer. Or, maybe use Unique, or maybe something I haven't thought of yet.

Smitty of the North

I'm agin violence. Now DRAW.

Dunno Universal, but switching to Unique isn't going to help with light loads. It'll do the same. I'd switch to Bullseye if you have any. I still have a bunch of WW 231, and that's as clean as Bullseye.

As for shooting high, that's pretty typical of reduce loads. My understanding is, it's because the bullet is exiting the barrel later in the recoil "cycle." Same principle but reverse of very light fast bullets hitting low. They get out of the barrel sooner, before the gun has tipped up as much as with heavy loads.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast