Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about moving to Alaska

Default Thinking about moving to Alaska

I am thinking about moving to Alaska sometime after the new year. I have been doing some online research but have not decided where yet. I have narrowed it down to 3 areas though: Kenai, Anchorage or Fairbanks. I plan on going to school regardless of location and using my G.I. Bill to offset living expenses. I don't know if I will need to work or not. I am not looking for a big place or anything fancy. I am just looking for some basic input and information. Thank you....

What are you planning to study in school? That alone could make your choice for you, as the different colleges offer different degrees and training programs.

Come on up! There's jobs to be had to anyone that wants to work.

Check Craigslist for an idea of rental prices.

What type of info are you looking for?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Thanks for the reply. I have been checking prices on craigslist and found rental prices to be reasonable considering some of the other places I have lived. I actually find the dry cabins interesting...My only real question is where do you go to shower? Sounds silly but I just thought about it.

As Brian stated what you want to study matters for which school you want to go to. Engineering and hard science - UAF. Marine science and fisheries then USE in Juneau. Nursing then UAA. Everything else anyplace.

Dry cabin living is helped by the gym and the student center wash room. Both can be closed at the end of the semesters for a few days. Get friends with off campus apartments and pay them in beer for shower time. You can also shower at a couple of the laundry places.

the gym and wash room and friends sound good. As for what I am going to study I am undecided I have quite a few credits from the military but not sure what I want to get a degree in just yet.

The Kenai Peninsula college is pretty limited in its offerings, so that should be taken into consideration. If you want to get started in taking classes and then figure out what you want to get a degree in, I would aim for Fairbanks or Anchorage.

I appreciate the input and am looking at everything. School is important but not the top priority. I am looking to enjoy life after retiring from the military.

Have you been stationed here before or just coming in blind?

No I haven't been stationed there before so yes coming in blind...........

I have a few random questions tonight.....
    1. What is the average price of gas? Living in California right now gas is 3.59 a gallon
    2. What are the pro's and con's of both wood burning stove and oil drip for heat?
    3. Is it pretty easy to buy/trade for fresh game if I don't want to hunt or buy from the grocery store?

The price of gas is similar to California - exactly the same right now in Eagle River.

It is illegal to buy, sell, or barter game meat. People can give you meat out of the goodness of their heart, but no payment may be exchanged.

I think your going to find things a little more difficult than your planning on.
    Military retirement and GI bill payments is not alot when you consider housing and the cost of living. I'm sure it can be done, but your not going to have the money needed to "enjoy life" IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby06 View Post
    I think your going to find things a little more difficult than your planning on.
    Military retirement and GI bill payments is not alot when you consider housing and the cost of living. I'm sure it can be done, but your not going to have the money needed to "enjoy life" IMHO.
    So what would be required to "enjoy life"? I am just curious as I am looking for a simpler way of life, less hectic a little bit slower paced which I do not currently have now.

Your looking to Enjoy life after Military retirement, but... you haven't given any indication as to what it is you enjoy doing. You didn't sound too enthused about hunting, by asking if you could buy or barter for game meat. How about Fishing? Anchorage would be your better choice if Fishing is what you enjoy. You'll need a job of some kind to supplement your military and your GI school pay, but it's not an impossibility as I've known other retired military to do exactly that. what is it that you look forward to doing to enjoy life? ski? hike? boat? float?
    Old John USN Retired

Itís a personal choice no doubt, but I like my 'toys' and having the affordability to go out and do stuff. Camping; fishing; ATVing; snow machining; etc... To be in this beautiful state and not be able to get out to enjoy it would stink. Like I said, itís a personal choice/lifestyle; Many would prefer to just sit at home,walk and/or bike, etc...not me...

I donít really know your financial situation, nor is it any of my business, so you may be fine.

Just do yourself a favor and do the math and plan for unexpected costs. Vehicle repairs, needed items, etc.... Living Retirement check to retirement check with little to no extra buffer is a recipe for disaster, unless Murphy likes you....lol

In Edit: Old John and I typed at the same time. USA Retired here....

Quote Originally Posted by BryceK123 View Post
    I have a few random questions tonight.....
    1. What is the average price of gas? Living in California right now gas is 3.59 a gallon
    I believe it was $3.88 a gallon in Kenai/Soldotna the other day when I gased up my truck.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Being a "Year 'round Alaskan" is way different than a two week Summer visitor. Which is what I was before The final move to the Kenai Peninsula , I love it here, but it takes work and dedication to carve a good life for yourself unless one is independently wealthy . Just bought my first property and living in a Dry Cabin this winter until I can continue construction this spring. Life here for me is an endless adventure in a great place, always something to do and I work harder and enjoy it more being semi-retired than when I had a regular schedule !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SANDRAT View Post
    Life here for me is an endless adventure in a great place, always something to do and I work harder and enjoy it more being semi-retired than when I had a regular schedule !!!!
    This is much more what I am looking for thank you for the post........

I suggest coming up for a 2 week visit around the beginning of January, if you still like it after that visit, then start making hard plans.....
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast