Thread: Long lake (Glenn)

Default Long lake (Glenn)

Did anyone go up to the lake this weekend?
    I was curious about the ice thickness. I'd really like to take my girlfriend out Tuesday or Wednesday. I figured the ice would be a bit thicker up there. She's a little sketched out about ice fishing! Haha

I stopped by there today to fish. I passed on the ice at 17 Mile lake, it was about 2 inches of white ice. My plan after that was Bonnie Lake but the road has not been plowed after the AT&T gate. After that I decided since i drove that far I would check long. The ice was scetchey at best. I didnt go past the narrows spot. At first I walked strait out and chipped a hole there was three inches of white ice with an inch of white slushey overflow on top. The white ice and overflow made it unsafe so I backed off and worked my way around by the road. I hacked a hole through every few feet and found three inches of good ice with an inch of white ice on top, I was OK with that but not the best. I started fishing in four feet but no action. I walked out a little bit, the ice was the same and it was 10 feet deep. I walked a few more feet marked 13 feet of water but there was overflow so i whent back to 10. The fishing was lame caught three small bow and one 20 inch Chare but it was the uglist skiniest fishI have ever caught. I am still not convencest it was a chare I think it might have been a big eal or a pale lamp ray with spots.I will post a pick as soon as i can. I think I have fished there 6 other times and the fish I have cught are not a great quality they all look like they have been through the long lake beat down.

Thanks for the report Dave.
    I seen two people 300yds off shore on big lake today. I personally don't think the big water has had enough time yet, but I guess they did!

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    Thanks for the report Dave.
    I seen two people 300yds off shore on big lake today. I personally don't think the big water has had enough time yet, but I guess they did!
    I would be vary cautious every where. I take a heavy iron rod with me walk the shore line and crack the ice infront of me serveral times as I go. If it gos through in three or less hits I know not to go out over deep water.

as of 07:00 this fine Sunday morning it is a whole +2f at my place about 7 miles down KGB. out at GunSight mountain, Mi 117 on the Glenn hwy according to the DOT Webcams it a whopping +1f I can't see it being any warmer at mi 86 (Long Lake) so the water should be getting harder by the day out there now.. I haven't fished that lake in years but back in the 70's we used to put down a line of sets in a reasonably straight line across the lake (starting at that big rock). Sets in the water, we'd hike up and over the far shore to the power line. We'd walk the power line a ways shooting Hare, then make our way back to the lake pick up our sets and a few burbot and go home.

Went to Loberg lake yesterday. It has 4.5 to 5 inches of clear ice. Pretty solid. Drilled a lot of holes. Fished in 13-18 feet of water. Lots of small rainbows The whole lake is safe.

Thanks for the report guys.