Thread: Electroplating

Default Electroplating

I found a box of vintage boat fixtures at a sale and was thinking about having a couple pieces re-plated. Anyone know of a business in Anchorage or the valley that does chrome or nickel plating?

There are none that I am aware of. I just had my 57 Caddy bumpers re-chromed. I had to crate it and send them to Spokane Metal Refinishers. Now to find a reputable shop that can paint the car......not so easy. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Thanks for the lead, bullbuster. I used to be a bench jeweler and have a plating set up somewhere in my giant stack of stuff...24kt gold is a little over the top for what I had in mind, though. I'll research it and see if I can order in whatever I need to do it with my rig.

There was one in Anchorage but when I drove by the other day it looked like it moved as there is not much need to do bumpers today
    all plastic now SID
    PS it was on 15 TH ave.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    There was one in Anchorage but when I drove by the other day it looked like it moved as there is not much need to do bumpers today
    all plastic now SID
    PS it was on 15 TH ave.
    That place closed down a couple years ago
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

There are some DIY electroplating that you can buy. Google it and you should be able to come up with them. For smaller items it might work fine. I have a kit, but haven't tried to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    There are some DIY electroplating that you can buy. Google it and you should be able to come up with them. For smaller items it might work fine. I have a kit, but haven't tried to use it.
    I did find some kits and a bunch of youtube demonstration videos online...Prep for nickel and chrome is much more involved than I expected. I also have a pile of vintage banjo ukes I'm restoring this winter and some of those parts are too big for a home unit so I think I'll just send them and my boat stuff out. I've emailed a couple outfits in the lower 48 for prices but haven't heard back yet.

The place I knew of is Alaska Electroplating, and they were on 15th between Gambell and Ingra (828 E 15th according to a listing on FB), but that could be old and they could be long gone...
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Fish is right they did a set of pipes for my harley years ago but i belive they have sinced closed'
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?